PDA

View Full Version : RRA LAR-15 stripped lower

camoman
07-25-13, 12:37
I bought one of these at a local gun shop to replace my worn out pre-ban bushy lower, and completed it with parts from my worn out bushy. I got it for a price I couldn't pass up. It seems to fit my upper very tight, much tighter than my old lower.
I want to get opinions about these lowers from more exp. members than I. Thank you.

Tzook
07-25-13, 13:08
General RRA is considered to be a lower tier brand. That being said, a lower is a pretty low stress area and you can probably get away with having a cheaper part there. Just get a quality lpk and make sure everything fits right, and you should be good to go.

mkmckinley
07-25-13, 13:15
The QC problems documented with RRA carbines haven't had anything to do with their lowers. As long as it's 7075 and in spec it doesn't really matter whose logo is stamped on the side of an AR lower. Make sure that it fits a known-good upper and that the controls work properly. It should also drop a mag freely. Other than that once it's broken in a little you shouldn't need a tool to manipulate the take down pins to field strip. If it meets those standards it's good to go.

skywalkrNCSU
07-25-13, 13:22
How is your other lower worn out?

camoman
07-25-13, 13:47
How is your other lower worn out?

It's just very loose fitting, the detent hole that holds in the buffer is a bit wallowed out, the threads for the butt-stock look as if they have been worn away by the BCG to the point that they are rounded, the CH has worn a grove in the top of the ring. Plus it doesn't drop the mags without manipulation. It has been very heavily used, and it was time for a change.

Kain
07-25-13, 13:54
RRA lowers fitting the upper tight are a pretty well known issue from what I know. Have a RRA lower myself, an old one I might add from when they first started, and that one was very tight as well on my BCM upper. Works, but the next two lowers I am likely going to buy for builds are going to be a BCM and a Noveske when I can find them.

wahoo95
07-25-13, 13:56
Its because of the way RRA cuts the receiver in the area where the rear upper receiver lug rest. They dont make the relief cuts there and the extra material can cause issues with some uppers.

camoman
07-25-13, 13:59
The QC problems documented with RRA carbines haven't had anything to do with their lowers. As long as it's 7075 and in spec it doesn't really matter whose logo is stamped on the side of an AR lower. Make sure that it fits a known-good upper and that the controls work properly. It should also drop a mag freely. Other than that once it's broken in a little you shouldn't need a tool to manipulate the take down pins to field strip. If it meets those standards it's good to go.
It meets those standards for sure. I did use the lower parts from the old lower, so I may want to order a lpk. I have no doubt in my upper at all, as it is all high quality (US GI contract mill-spec flat top upper bought from Bravo CO, BCM bcg, DD hammer forged light middy barrel...etc

3ACR_Scout
07-25-13, 15:53
I did use the lower parts from the old lower, so I may want to order a lpk.
I would consider the used lower parts from your old Bushmaster more of a liability than the RRA lower itself, so I would replace them with Stag, DD, LMT, or another quality LPK (G&R Tactical offers some good combination kits) as soon as you can find one in stock. I just got a Stag LPK from Rainier Arms a few weeks ago, FWIW. I wanted to have it on hand for spare parts.

Dave

Gatorshark
07-25-13, 17:11
I would consider the used lower parts from your old Bushmaster more of a liability than the RRA lower itself, so I would replace them with Stag, DD, LMT, or another quality LPK (G&R Tactical offers some good combination kits) as soon as you can find one in stock. I just got a Stag LPK from Ranier Arms a few weeks ago, FWIW. I wanted to have it on hand for spare parts.

Dave

here's a good quality lpk:
http://www.tieronearms.com/product-p/lpk.htm

Nola_Jack
07-25-13, 20:51
Saw one with what I believe was an out of spec magwell in the last carbine class I took. Guy was pushing the mag against the steering wheel and it kept falling out. Don't know if this is common or not, just what I saw.

Storkenheimer
07-25-13, 21:01
I bought a Rock River for my first AR (before finding this forum). I tried to switch the upper with my Colt 6720. The fit was too tight, and the pins would not push in. It seemed to be an issue with the pins not lining up with the holes IIRC. Maybe not built to spec?

camoman
07-25-13, 21:19
I bought a Rock River for my first AR (before finding this forum). I tried to switch the upper with my Colt 6720. The fit was too tight, and the pins would not push in. It seemed to be an issue with the pins not lining up with the holes IIRC. Maybe not built to spec?
Aren't some older Colts pins a different size then other manufacturers?

Storkenheimer
07-25-13, 21:36
Aren't some older Colts pins a different size then other manufacturers?

AFAIK, some of the older Colts' trigger pins were different. My 6720 was from 2012. I was talking about the takedown pins. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. I could not get both pins in at the same time. Only one or the other.

My 6720 and DDM4 V7 can switch uppers with no issue.

VIP3R 237
07-25-13, 21:46

RRA's uppers are notorious for being out of spec. Iirc the used to come with instruction on how to fit the upper and lower.

T2C
07-25-13, 22:21
Two of my rifles are built on RRA lower receivers and they work just fine.

camoman
07-25-13, 23:56
AFAIK, some of the older Colts' trigger pins were different. My 6720 was from 2012. I was talking about the takedown pins. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. I could not get both pins in at the same time. Only one or the other.

My 6720 and DDM4 V7 can switch uppers with no issue.

I new I read something about colts being different in some sort of aspect.

aguila327
07-26-13, 07:58
I've been using RRA lowers for a few years now and have not encountered any issue regarding fit, finish or swapping with other brands of uppers. I do agree that they run tight on most uppers. Including their own.

Now I wish I could say the same about their match triggers. They have all begun showing problems after 3-5 thousand rounds. They feel excellent just start generating doubles and triples.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2