PDA

View Full Version : Questions on SGL31 found locally

uffdaphil
07-26-13, 11:24
Last time I touched any AK was 1969. Had two Chicom 47s and an RPD w/drum in RVN - never fired them. Until last week I didn't even know an AK74 could be had in the US. So cheap ammo AR alternative led me to this point.

Found an in-state, little used Arsenal SGL31 with a bunch of extras to swap for. Prefer Plum. This one is tan. All the photos I see look like a cheesy blondish rather than FDE. Do any members have one, and does it look okay in person? Is replacing the furniture Magpul-like simple?

Also it comes with a couple K corrosive rounds. Any leads on some bulk clean Hornady?

I was never that enamored with the 47, but the soft recoil, accuracy and sexy looks of the 74 have got my blood up.

Mucho thanks to Templar for the stickies that answer questions before I can think of them.

Peshawar
07-26-13, 14:06
Here ya go. (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574324/arsenal-inc-complete-buttstock-and-handguard-set-warsaw-pact-length-ak-47-ak-74-stamped-receivers-polymer-plum)

It's pretty easy to change the furniture. You might have to do a little fitting on the lower handguard, but it will likely just drop right in. Not a big deal. The "Warsaw" version of the stock simply means that the length of pull is about an inch shorter than the "Nato" versions that Arsenal also sells. It's just a personal preference thing. If you want a longer stock, get the "Nato" version. The Hornady only appears now and again. Sign up to be notified at Midway, and check ammunitiontogo.com and other online retailers frequently. The Silver Bear and Wolf rounds are fine to shoot. They're non-corrosive. But all except the Hornady are bi-metal jacketed, so some ranges frown upon their use. Your local range may not care.

Nice purchase! :)

ETA - Here's a decent youtube vid that shows how to do the swap. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSC8bmvsMGY)

uffdaphil
07-26-13, 15:28
Thanks Pesh. Swap looks like nothing to it. What Magpul might have been circa 1937 in USA. I'm hoping to like the tan enough to keep it. Stupid, I know, to waste time wondering before it is in hand, but I still get excited over a new area of interest.

Little concerned that the owner didn't call again when supposed to. Sounded good to go when we talked. I'll post a pic when/if.

Kalash9305
07-26-13, 18:31
I've got a plum 31-42 in the safe and a black 31-85 triangle folder waiting at the FFL for me to pick up tomorrow. They are awesome rifles. I don't change furniture but once you get the hang of it guys can do it almost like changing underwear. I've got a bunch of 47's and my AR's (Noveske, LWRC, AAC) are sweet but there is something about those 74's. Great looking, very accurate, damn near zero recoil and run like a freakin' top. I have 7N6 5.45 corrosive but cleaning has not been a problem. If you're looking for some decent non-corrosive check out Golden Tiger 5.45. SG Ammo has it back in stock for $0.25 a round. I just got a bunch shipped in. Have a blast .. :D

uffdaphil
07-26-13, 19:09
Thanks. After looking at all the eye candy on the AK forum, the blonde is growing on me. Plum and a tung oiled wood are calling to me also. Time to swap out some AR space or get another safe.

Guy still isn't answering his phone. Limbo sucks.

Meplat
07-26-13, 22:16
Last time I touched any AK was 1969. Had two Chicom 47s and an RPD w/drum in RVN - never fired them. Until last week I didn't even know an AK74 could be had in the US. So cheap ammo AR alternative led me to this point.

Found an in-state, little used Arsenal SGL31 with a bunch of extras to swap for. Prefer Plum. This one is tan. All the photos I see look like a cheesy blondish rather than FDE. Do any members have one, and does it look okay in person? Is replacing the furniture Magpul-like simple?

Also it comes with a couple K corrosive rounds. Any leads on some bulk clean Hornady?

I was never that enamored with the 47, but the soft recoil, accuracy and sexy looks of the 74 have got my blood up.

Mucho thanks to Templar for the stickies that answer questions before I can think of them.

The Arsenal SGLs, aside from a few issues people complain about from time to time like canted sights, are generally pretty highly recommended AKs. Mine has run like a champ and never let me down once in about ~3,000 something rounds. Changing AK furniture is similar to changing AR furniture, not very difficult, the stock takes a little more effort. I wouldn't worry about corrosive ammunition, AKs eat through the stuff without any problem and cleaning the corrosive stuff off is pretty easy and doesn't take much more effort than normal cleaning.
Sounds like a worth while purchase if the price is right.

SteyrAUG
07-27-13, 00:42
Not sure what Hornady costs these days, but you might find Wolf is cheaper and it's non corrosive.

Kalash9305
07-27-13, 00:48
I can't find Hornady anywhere, even on GB. Golden Tiger at $0.25/rd is currently the next cheapest after milsurp. Wolf is running $0.31 to $0.36 per at the moment.

uffdaphil
07-27-13, 00:56
2000 rds with the deal so I won't be desperate.

Relief: Guy is in Ariz for sick granny.