PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Profanity Filter?

montanadave
07-26-13, 15:46
So WTF? There's a naughty word "auto-block" feature now screening posts? Do members have access to the banned words or should we just watch George Carlin's bit on YouTube?

.46caliber
07-26-13, 16:12
I believe there was a thread or post somewhere from the staff requesting to dial profanity back. Maybe here? Didn't reread the whole thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131635

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ryno12
07-26-13, 16:15
I haven't even noticed. I wonder if it works for Tapatalk posts?

Side note: I miss George. He was great.

Sent via Tapatalk

Army Chief
07-26-13, 16:20
At present, the filter is only set for f-bombs. There is some back office discussion about including a few others, most notably those that regularly seem to show up in heated threads, but aside from preserving some fairly basic professional standards, the intent is not to regulate free speech, or anything of the sort.

You may type whatever you wish; however, if much of the resulting text consists of asterisks, then you can take this as an indicator that it is time to be a big dog, and raise your leg just a bit higher. No real changes are in play here apart from an occasional filter bump, but this has become more of an issue with time, so the decision was made to offer a gentle course correction for the board at large.

AC

montanadave
07-26-13, 16:21
Well, jeepers, let's just give George's "seven words" a test run.

Shit, piss, ****, cunt, mother****er, cocksucker, tits.

Hmm. Must be the beta version. :laugh:

ETA: Sorry, AC. Posts crossed in the ether. Feel free to delete/censor at will.

CoryCop25
07-26-13, 16:29
Well, jeepers, let's just give George's "seven words" a test run.

Shit, piss, ****, cunt, mother****er, cocksucker, tits.

Hmm. Must be the beta version. :laugh:

ETA: Sorry, AC. Posts crossed in the ether. Feel free to delete/censor at will.

I was always told that the use of profanity was because the person didn't have anything intelligent to say. I teach my kids that too.....
But that right there was down right hilarious! Mr. Carlen would be proud. God rest his soul. :D

Army Chief
07-26-13, 16:41
The words most seriously under consideration for filter inclusion, with all deference to George Carlin, are as follows (explained, rather than listed, since the latter would be unintelligible should they actually be added):

The sh.. word used as an indelicate reference to defacatory material.
The cu.., pu... and tw.. words which are slang for female genitalia.
The co.. word for male genitalia. Roosters can still be called roosters.
The as.ho.. word for describing folks who remind one of the anus.
The go.da.. word invoking fairly blasphemous divine condemnation.
Words beginning with ji.. and cu. which refer to male ejaculant.
The ni.... word as derisively applied to or against persons of color.
The fa., and qu... and ho.. words often applied to boys who like boys.

Again, the primary focus at present is to determine which of these seem to most often find their way into train wreck threads, rather than to just mount a largely-unfocused campaign of Puritan zeal.

AC

Army Chief
07-26-13, 16:49
I believe there was a thread or post somewhere from the staff requesting to dial profanity back. Maybe here? Didn't reread the whole thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131635

Don't believe it was that thread exactly, but it was closely-related (same time frame). At the time, you would have thought that we/I had just issued an edict that every member have his genitals forcibly dry-shaved, so it just seemed easier to implement something that required no discussion or subjective enforcement. Just trying to run a classy joint.

AC

Ryno12
07-26-13, 17:22
Since we're on the subject of filters, is there somthing wrong our "idiot/troll poster" filter? There's been a rash of them getting through lately.

Sent via Tapatalk

CodeRed30
07-26-13, 17:31
I get the feeling myself and a few fellow grunts are gonna have a lot of goddamn asterisks in our posts. :D

Army Chief
07-26-13, 17:40
As a Benning School For Boys grad myself (Class of '85), I'm really not looking to filter for a very expansive list, and we may well just stick with the current coital reference and no others. The last thing we want is for guys to be sitting at the keyboard, looking at an unintelligible mess, and honestly having no idea where and how they crossed the mother****ing line.

As stated, the intent is to be reasonable, classy, and -- did I say it already? -- reasonable. ;)

Troll filter update: no luck as yet. These suckers are elusive.

AC

.46caliber
07-26-13, 18:38
Don't believe it was that thread exactly, but it was closely-related (same time frame). At the time, you would have thought that we/I had just issued an edict that every member have his genitals forcibly dry-shaved, so it just seemed easier to implement something that required no discussion or subjective enforcement. Just trying to run a classy joint.

AC

I wasn't sure where it was.

I do understand the intent. I can't say I really care one way or the other, but I read the point. Time and place, signal to noise and all that jazz.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
07-26-13, 22:21
Since we're on the subject of filters, is there somthing wrong our "idiot/troll poster" filter? There's been a rash of them getting through lately.

Sent via Tapatalk

Invent one. Wealth beyond your wildest dreams awaits you.

I'm down for $20 out of my own wallet, if you do it.

Ryno12
07-26-13, 22:40
Invent one. Wealth beyond your wildest dreams awaits you.

I'm down for $20 out of my own wallet, if you do it.

I'd have given two of them the "ghetto blaster" earlier this week if I could've. Gimme the $20 & the power & I'm your man. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

Army Chief
07-27-13, 13:28
Quick update ...

Going to hold the line on the f-bomb, and leave everything else unfiltered, just like your grandpa's favorite pack of Lucky Strikes. No need to do more; if you wax a bit too eloquent, you will simply be subject to the usual staff correctives and (where necessary) sanctions.

If you wish to continue to type f-bombs, we will respect your right to do that as an American and a patriot: just be aware of the fact that the rest of us -- and the kids who may be looking over our shoulders -- will see only asterisks in their place.

Fair enough?

AC

montanadave
07-27-13, 13:56
As a friend of mine's son once told him, "Hey, it's your world. I only live in it." :D

The owners/staff of this forum are free to set whatever guidelines they choose. If folks will not or cannot abide by those rules, they are free to move on, either voluntarily or not.

If the management desired my input regarding forum conduct and/or policy they would have asked. And, surprise, surprise, nobody's asking.

Army Chief
07-27-13, 14:11
Dave,

Meant to send you a direct PM, but in your case rather specifically, I am prepared to offer a low-cost translation service to render your future posts readable, despite the filter. A box or two of ammo every now and then is all I ask.

Please forward all of your future posting traffic to my PM box, and I will insure that you continue to have a valid means of expression for the foreseeable future. Love you, man.

:D :D :D

AC

montanadave
07-27-13, 14:26
I simply can't find the words to express my appreciation for your gracious offer.

Seriously.

:D

Army Chief
07-27-13, 14:42
I simply can't find the words to express my appreciation for your gracious offer.

Seriously.

:D

Actually, you can ... they're just filtered. lol

AC

CodeRed30
07-28-13, 07:46
Actually, you can ... they're just filtered. lol

AC

Well played, sir. Well played.