PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 issue?

auto_luver
07-27-13, 16:36
I had an issue with my Glock 21 at the range today. I shot 70 rounds through it yesterday and all went fine and I cleaned it. Today I shot three 13 round magazines through it with no problems. I ended up having one round left and wanted to shoot it. I ejected the empty magazine and put the round into the chamber and released the slide. I tried to fire it and realized that the hammer wasn’t cocked. I pulled the slide back to eject the round. I then loaded the round into an empty magazine, inserted the magazine and pulled the slide back and released it, it loaded the round but didn’t cock the hammer. I dumped the empty magazine and tried to pull the slide back but it wouldn’t budge, with extra force it came back and ejected the unfired cartridge. At that point I quit because I didn’t know what was going on. Any thoughts?

darr3239
07-27-13, 16:51
Sounds like somehow that round did not go into the chamber fully, holding the slide back slightly, and preventing the trigger from releasing the firing pin. Glocks do not have hammers per se.

auto_luver
07-27-13, 18:29
I was cautious on pulling the slide back all the way

I'm going to take my ar out there tomorrow to sight in my eotech, I'll clean and take the 21 out also and shoot three more magazines through it. I'll post tomorrow how it goes

Thanks

Warp
07-27-13, 22:52
For future reference, it is generally recommended that you not drop a round into the chamber and then drop the slide. Put the round into the mag and chamber it the way it was intended to be done.

And always pull the slide all the way back and release it freely, don't pull it only partway (when chambering a round) or ride it forward.

auto_luver
07-28-13, 02:43
I appreciate the advice

walkin' trails
07-28-13, 07:16
Ditto on dropping a round in the chamber instead if using a mag - I've heard it can break the extractor. If the trigger won't cock, it sounds a broken trigger rebound spring. With a empty pistol, press andhold the trigger and cock the pistol. If the trigger resets, it's the spring which coincidently broke. This happens to Glocks from time to time. They'll still shoot, and if you're resetting the trigger like you're supposed to, it will take a while to notice. If it's that, you still need to get a new spring because it's not good to ride the trigger while chambering a round.

auto_luver
07-28-13, 13:45
just got back from the range. While I was there I loaded a full magazine in the 21 and chambered a round. The gun fired just fine so I guess it was pilot error on my part. Today was only the third time I've fired it, I have some learning do

this was at 21 feet

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc511/autoluver/glock21_21feet_zps551e1054.jpg

RUSKI
07-28-13, 18:14
Good to know about dropping in the round possibly causing problems. I do it all the time when I load for carry. No problems in either of my 21s, but i'll stop just to be safe. Thanks for the info.

crazymoose
07-28-13, 23:19
The advice not to drop a round directly into the chamber goes for more than just Glocks. The vast majority of pistols were not designed to be fed this way- the case rim is supposed to slide up beneath the extractor, not have the extractor jump the rim.

This will break extractors, guaranteed. It might break on the first chambering this way, or it might take a hundred. But sooner or later, it'll go.

Slater
07-29-13, 12:32
I believe the Beretta 92 series is actually designed to be loaded in this manner if required.