PDA

View Full Version : Looking for options in GA

mikelowrey
07-27-13, 20:37
Hello to all in the "Deep South" :)

I am interested to know what are the good places to live down there, I am looking for a place where I can get the best for my money in terms of land, home, etc.. not only that but also including good schools around the area since I will be raising my 2 beautiful daughters and want an environment where I want them to be successful.

Last but not least, I am not aware of gun laws down there but I am a gun loving person which I always recommend anybody I know to carry and would like to have the ability to shoot in my land if I can.

Thank you and looking forward to reading your recommendations.

Tigereye
07-30-13, 06:14
I live in Lee Co. AL in Opelika. Lee Co., Opelika, and Auburn have really good schools and great environment for kids. We are just across the line from Columbus, GA. Both states are gun friendly.

The_War_Wagon
07-30-13, 06:54
I went to college in the mountains of NC, just across the GA line, and spent some time exploring the scenery there. Spent some time in NW GA even before that, in my previous career in textiles. BEAUTIFUL country, and the Atlanta ghetto hasn't reached above Gainesville... yet...

The climate is cooler than the rest of the state, and the people friendlier (if you're a Yankee though, NEVER mention it - or how they did things in your former Yankee home state) - if I were to move to GA, that's the ONLY part I'd consider living in.

bullittmcqueen
07-30-13, 08:17
I grew up in South GA fairly close to Valdosta and love that part of the state. In an ideal world, it's where I'd be right now. Due to school and job, I currently live in Augusta. Land is readily available down south and pretty much everywhere is gun friendly.

Getting a CCW permit in GA is also a bit easier than other states. At least the last time me or my wife had to renew, you still didn't have to take a class like you do in SC.

CCW is reciprocal in Florida and Alabama, but not SC as far as I know.

Welcome to the state, bring some cool clothes for the summer!

jawalterusmc
07-30-13, 08:37
Live in Athens in NE Ga, a few hours from the mountains, a little further to the beaches. 1.5 hours from Atlanta, just far enough away but close enough when I need to get to and from the airport or sporting events. CCL is easy enough and state is gun friendly. There are indoor and outdoor shooting ranges. They are sparse in my neck of the woods but I belong to a local Rifle Club that offers pistol, rifle, and shotgun ranges. Several of my friends own land outside city limits but have found that the rules for shooting on your property vary from county to county. PS I am transplant too...originally from MD. Met my wife here and moved here when I retired from the military. Good luck......

mikelowrey
08-03-13, 14:26
Thank you all for the good info.

gabulldawg
08-03-13, 15:36
Used to live in Athens for college and it was a great place. North GA is beautiful and has a great climate but depending on what you do may be harder to find a job just because there is less there. Just moved to Effingham County 20 minutes outside of Savannah and love it. Built a new home for a great price and the school district in South Effingham is rated near the top of the state. Lots of other friends are moving to Coastal GA around here as well, close to beaches and Savannah. Good option for folks who never want to end in Atlanta. Also got my concealed carry permit in 7 days.

mikelowrey
08-03-13, 17:42
Used to live in Athens for college and it was a great place. North GA is beautiful and has a great climate but depending on what you do may be harder to find a job just because there is less there. Just moved to Effingham County 20 minutes outside of Savannah and love it. Built a new home for a great price and the school district in South Effingham is rated near the top of the state. Lots of other friends are moving to Coastal GA around here as well, close to beaches and Savannah. Good option for folks who never want to end in Atlanta. Also got my concealed carry permit in 7 days.

Oh man, thank you for adding your experience here. As a matter of fact if you dont mind me asking, how was your experience building a new home in terms of builders, land, etc..? can you elaborate more on that since my interest if I end up in GA is to built a house my style or "adapt it" to me. If you want to PM or put it here is good either way for me but Ill really appreciate that info.

gabulldawg
08-03-13, 18:02
I ended up taking a job in Savannah and lived in a fairly new apartment complex within the city limits for a little over a year. We knew we wanted to get out of the city and put down roots. We are looking to start a family in the near future and I work for the state so private schools are out of the question financially. School districts were the main concern and around here there that limited us to two areas outside Savannah. We looked at existing homes and new construction. We actually put an offer in on an existing home that was about 6 years old and thankfully we didn't get it. We came to the realization that at the price point we were offering we could just build brand new in one of the many subdivisions in the area, and so that's the way we went. You will not get much land in a subdivision, we have the largest lot in our neighborhood and its only .27 acres. If your looking to buy some land and build on it I don't have any experience with that. Lots of new neighborhoods popping up around here with the proximity to Savannah and good schools. The housing market around here didn't take as much of a hit with the economy compared to Atlanta so home prices have stayed steady, won't find as many steals like Atlanta.

mikelowrey
08-03-13, 19:38
I ended up taking a job in Savannah and lived in a fairly new apartment complex within the city limits for a little over a year. We knew we wanted to get out of the city and put down roots. We are looking to start a family in the near future and I work for the state so private schools are out of the question financially. School districts were the main concern and around here there that limited us to two areas outside Savannah. We looked at existing homes and new construction. We actually put an offer in on an existing home that was about 6 years old and thankfully we didn't get it. We came to the realization that at the price point we were offering we could just build brand new in one of the many subdivisions in the area, and so that's the way we went. You will not get much land in a subdivision, we have the largest lot in our neighborhood and its only .27 acres. If your looking to buy some land and build on it I don't have any experience with that. Lots of new neighborhoods popping up around here with the proximity to Savannah and good schools. The housing market around here didn't take as much of a hit with the economy compared to Atlanta so home prices have stayed steady, won't find as many steals like Atlanta.

Thank you for that, and for last question, what builder you recommend?

gabulldawg
08-03-13, 20:29
We built with Konter Homes and had a pretty good experience. As good as expected I guess, you will always have complaints no matter who you choose. We mainly went with them because they had a certain plan we really liked. There is also Ernest Homes in the area and their plans and prices are comparable. For about 50K more there is Faircloth Homes that are pretty large as well. You can PM me if you are ever looking into the area and need more specifics.