PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Scout Range report

WillBrink
07-28-13, 11:31
Buddy lent me his Ruger Scout Rifle to try out. I loaded two 10 rnd box mags. I had 20rnds of Winchester FMJ BT 145g to play with.

I put an 8" pie paper plate at the 100yard line.

Using my range bag as a rest, I had 19rnds on the 8" plate, 15 within 6inches, and one flyer outside the plate with the iron sites.

Clearly, a sniper I aint. :eek:

I'd think with a more capable shooter, quality ammo, and optics, it's capable of acceptable accuracy for a sub 1k scout rifle.

The trigger on this gun was surprisingly light (didn't measure it) and crisp for it's intended use I thought. I'd heard complaints of heavy gritty triggers. Maybe Ruger improved on that?

Negative to me was the action was rough and down right clunky, but lock up seemed solid at least. I guess the intent is rugged vs refined, but I still felt Ruger could do a better job there. It's really sloppy.

The recoil was stout, but not punishing considering the barrel length and weight of the gun.

I can see the niche this gun could fill for some, and still seems a solid deal for around $800, but for me, I see it getting very little range time or field use, so I'll probably pass on getting one.

That's my limited (non expert) opinion and experience with the Ruger Scout rifle. Would really like to try something like the Steyr scout to see how it compares for that extra $$$.

I still like the idea of a scout rifle in .308 to round out a collection that contains at least one quality M4 and handguns.

T2C
07-28-13, 11:59
A friend of mine recently bought the same rifle. He said it recoils a bit, but he likes the rifle. He shot steel with it, so I was unable to get any data about accuracy. He shot an 8" circular steel plate and 7" x 14" steel silhouette at 100 yards with it and he said he did not miss after he got use to the rifle.

I have been thinking about picking one up for the same reason as you. I would put a sling and a 1x4 power long eye relief scope on it and call it good.

WillBrink
07-28-13, 12:08
A friend of mine recently bought the same rifle. He said it recoils a bit, but he likes the rifle. He shot steel with it, so I was unable to get any data about accuracy. He shot an 8" circular steel plate and 7" x 14" steel silhouette at 100 yards with it and he said he did not miss after he got use to the rifle.

I have been thinking about picking one up for the same reason as you. I would put a sling and a 1x4 power long eye relief scope on it and call it good.

I can see it having its uses for sure, but for me, I see it getting a few rnds a year through it and otherwise sitting in the safe. If I was hiking around wide open spaces in the woods, had a lot of property, hunted, etc I can see it would have it's uses.

mark5pt56
07-28-13, 17:24
While the action isn't like an Accuracy International, it was far better than any Remington I've handled. Mine is smooth, no binding, no grit, etc. I have a thread lower on the page about some accuracy with mine and it's pretty accurate for a standard bolt gun, far better than most in it's class. I've been able to do some positional shooting out to 300 with irons on a 12x18 plate and had zero problems hitting with my reload of 45 grains of Varget and Hornady # 3037 (150 gr. FMJBT) I didn't think recoil to be an issue, while it's not a 15 pound bipod beast with a brake, no issues on felt recoil to me. I could see if you shot everything from a bench or low prone, but high prone(high elbows) and other field positions, no worries.
I've owned a Steyr Scout, while nice, it's not double the price nice and the Ruger is far more rifle than that savage will ever be, notice there's no caps on that.

What I would like to see on the Ruger?
elevation and windage adjustable rear, similar to the newer one on the mini and the front sight blade style of an M14/M1A (rear sweep to minimize glare)

WillBrink
07-28-13, 17:41
While the action isn't like an Accuracy International, it was far better than any Remington I've handled. Mine is smooth, no binding, no grit, etc. I have a thread lower on the page about some accuracy with mine and it's pretty accurate for a standard bolt gun, far better than most in it's class. I've been able to do some positional shooting out to 300 with irons on a 12x18 plate and had zero problems hitting with my reload of 45 grains of Varget and Hornady # 3037 (150 gr. FMJBT) I didn't think recoil to be an issue, while it's not a 15 pound bipod beast with a brake, no issues on felt recoil to me. I could see if you shot everything from a bench or low prone, but high prone(high elbows) and other field positions, no worries.
I've owned a Steyr Scout, while nice, it's not double the price nice and the Ruger is far more rifle than that savage will ever be, notice there's no caps on that.

elevation and windage adjustable rear, similar to the newer one on the mini and the front sight blade style of an M14/M1A (rear sweep to minimize glare)

Considering what appears a pretty wide variation there on feedback, could it be a QC issue for Ruger? Did it smooth out over time or was it GTG out of the box? This was a brand new never fired gun, but the the bolt action was gritty, bound up on me a few times, and downright clunky. That was the only major issue I had with it, but again, considering the $$, hard to go wrong I'd say.

xjustintimex
07-28-13, 18:24
Considering what appears a pretty wide variation there on feedback, could it be a QC issue for Ruger? Did it smooth out over time or was it GTG out of the box? This was a brand new never fired gun, but the the bolt action was gritty, bound up on me a few times, and downright clunky. That was the only major issue I had with it, but again, considering the $$, hard to go wrong I'd say.

This has become my ranch rifle. It is rugged and awesome with a 1-4 power scope. I've only shot propane tanks with it at 300+ but that was easy enough. It is a super handy brush rifle and medium range game rifle. I'm a fan of them. Trigger is ok, I like the rem 700 stock triggers better but I can't complain too much about the trigger except it could be lighter. Bolt is kind sloppy and of you pull it all the way to the rear they can be on the difficult side to use swiftly.

mark5pt56
07-28-13, 18:27
Although when received, it was dry, action was fine. It was cleaned and lubed of course before firing, no issues at all with function. Believe me, I'm picky, if it was I would say so.
I wanted a simple AND modern bolt gun with irons, optic optional and I think this is the ticket. My advice if if you don't desire irons, pick up a Winchester model 70 compact and install a low power variable.

WillBrink
07-28-13, 18:39
This has become my ranch rifle. It is rugged and awesome with a 1-4 power scope. I've only shot propane tanks with it at 300+ but that was easy enough. It is a super handy brush rifle and medium range game rifle. I'm a fan of them. Trigger is ok, I like the rem 700 stock triggers better but I can't complain too much about the trigger except it could be lighter. Bolt is kind sloppy and of you pull it all the way to the rear they can be on the difficult side to use swiftly.

I found that to be the case also. I can see how it would make a good choice for a ranch rifle.

cqbdriver
08-02-13, 03:11
My bolt was difficult to work at first. As mentioned, when all the way to the rear, it would bind unless I pushed straight forward. However, it broke in nicely after several hundred rounds and a lot of dry firing. I cannot get it to bind now.

As far as accuracy, with Hornady AMAX 155 gr and 2.5x scope scope, I am getting 1.5 MOA

WillBrink
08-02-13, 07:56
My bolt was difficult to work at first. As mentioned, when all the way to the rear, it would bind unless I pushed straight forward. However, it broke in nicely after several hundred rounds and a lot of dry firing. I cannot get it to bind now.

As far as accuracy, with Hornady AMAX 155 gr and 2.5x scope scope, I am getting 1.5 MOA

Good to know. Thanx.

cinco
08-02-13, 09:03

^ Good post.

I like your wishes on the sights. Are there any aftermarket companies that address this? If no aftermarket solutions yet, what would be entailed to accomplish the elev/wind rear and M1 front?

mark5pt56
08-02-13, 09:18
This company has some pics of the rear.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

For the front, it would require a new sight housing as it's a "barrel band" with a fixed post. Or if one was crafty, remove the post and weld a new one in and then finish to correct height. The one problem is the protective ears are angled for the current post and the new one would not have their protection. I think the best thing is for Ruger to offer a new upgraded model and offer it for current users. I need to call them to see if they(Accuracy Systems) are interested in making this one for the GSR.

cinco
08-02-13, 09:23
This company has some pics of the rear.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

For the front, it would require a new sight housing as it's a "barrel band" with a fixed post. Or if one was crafty, remove the post and weld a new one in and then finish to correct height. I think the best thing is for Ruger to offer a new upgraded model and offer it for current users. I need to call them to see if they(Accuracy Systems) are interested in making this one for the GSR.

Thanks for the link and information. Forgive my ignorance here. Would this rear sight be something one could install at home or is that something better left to a gunsmith?

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/accessories_img/Fully_Adjustable_Rear_Sight.gif

mark5pt56
08-02-13, 09:25
Thanks for the link and information. Forgive my ignorance here. Would this rear sight be something one could install at home or is that something better left to a gunsmith?

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/accessories_img/Fully_Adjustable_Rear_Sight.gif

I don't know if it would fit the GSR, a call would clarify that. It may be cut for the mini's dimensions and I don't know if they are the same. It's only a single screw so one could do it at home with an allen wrench. They are in Colorado, so have to wait another hour or so.

cinco
08-02-13, 09:36
^ Roger. Thanks again.

I'll keep them in mind if I go the GSR route. I'm in research/shopping mode right now on which route I want to go. I know I want a .308 bolt in the 18-20" barrel range with iron sights.

I'm also interested in the Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter as it comes with irons and a threaded barrel. From reading they seem to have very good reviews but common issues to resolve like a cheap stock and non-detachable box magazine. So there the cost increases - but in stock form seems like a decent gun for around $435 shipped.

Then there is the Tikka T3 Lite - but no irons. Add irons and I think that would be a great gun.

WillBrink
08-02-13, 11:48
^ Roger. Thanks again.

I'll keep them in mind if I go the GSR route. I'm in research/shopping mode right now on which route I want to go. I know I want a .308 bolt in the 18-20" barrel range with iron sights.

I'm also interested in the Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter as it comes with irons and a threaded barrel. From reading they seem to have very good reviews but common issues to resolve like a cheap stock and non-detachable box magazine. So there the cost increases - but in stock form seems like a decent gun for around $435 shipped.

Then there is the Tikka T3 Lite - but no irons. Add irons and I think that would be a great gun.

I do like the 10rnd box mag of the Ruger. Do any of the others have that? I could live with the sloppy bolt action I think.

cinco
08-02-13, 11:57
I do like the 10rnd box mag of the Ruger. Do any of the others have that? I could live with the sloppy bolt action I think.

The Tikka can use the 5 round varmint model mags (standard is 3 round I believe).

The Savage would need to be modified for the detachable box mags. Sharpshooterssupply has a 9 round modified mag that I believe could work with the right stock, mods. etc. but 90 $mackers :(
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Here's a good thread on the GSR vs. Tikka...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118635&page=2

I dunno the GSR just hits it right. The Savage is appealing as a cheap tinkering project. The Tikka has a reputation as very accurate with a great action. Decisions, decisions - and that's one of the reasons I love this site. So much good information from guys who are obviously experienced - I appreciate the education.

mark5pt56
08-02-13, 12:50
Years ago, I purchased a Savage Scout. Was a great day when I found a buyer.

cinco
08-02-13, 12:55
Years ago, I purchased a Savage Scout. Was a great day when I found a buyer.

Was it the Model 10 Scout with the funky front rail section? ETA - I had read that the "Gen 1" versions of these years ago had a real bad rep - seems, from reading, that the "Gen 2" may have resolved some issues.

Not to interested in the Model 10, but the Model 11 Hog Hunter doesn't seem to get much bad feedback.

Could you please expand on your comment? I want to learn and you sure seem to know your stuff. Help me avoid an expensive learning curve:(

WillBrink
08-02-13, 13:00
The Tikka can use the 5 round varmint model mags (standard is 3 round I believe).

The Savage would need to be modified for the detachable box mags. Sharpshooterssupply has a 9 round modified mag that I believe could work with the right stock, mods. etc. but 90 $mackers :(
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Here's a good thread on the GSR vs. Tikka...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118635&page=2

I dunno the GSR just hits it right. The Savage is appealing as a cheap tinkering project. The Tikka has a reputation as very accurate with a great action. Decisions, decisions - and that's one of the reasons I love this site. So much good information from guys who are obviously experienced - I appreciate the education.

If the action on the GSR was a tad smoother and didn't have a habit of binding up (which appears to go away with continued use via other posts in this thread), at least as good as say a Remington 700, it would be a no brainer purchase for me if it fit my needs. If I really had use for such a rifle, I'd probably still opt for that due to all it's other strong points for the $$$.

auto_luver
08-02-13, 14:58
mine wasn't very smooth out of the box so I sat in front of the TV and worked the bolt about a 1000 times, now it is smooth as silk

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc511/autoluver/ruger_scout_308_zps89b0583e.jpg

cinco
08-02-13, 15:06
^ What scope is that and how do you like it?

cinco
08-02-13, 15:52
What sort of performance (accuracy, velocity, recoil, noise) difference might one see between the blued 16.5" and stainless steel 18" barrel.

Does this become an issue of preference of appearance or is there a utilitarian component to consider?

mark5pt56
08-02-13, 15:53
Was it the Model 10 Scout with the funky front rail section? ETA - I had read that the "Gen 1" versions of these years ago had a real bad rep - seems, from reading, that the "Gen 2" may have resolved some issues.

Not to interested in the Model 10, but the Model 11 Hog Hunter doesn't seem to get much bad feedback.

Could you please expand on your comment? I want to learn and you sure seem to know your stuff. Help me avoid an expensive learning curve:(

Cheap stock, unprotected front, no mags really available, had to(didn't) send to them for fitting new ones, rear always loosened, couldn't tighten the screws enough to avoid it. You get what you pay for, there's a reason it's close to half the price.

xjustintimex
08-02-13, 15:56
I have not used the new 18" stainless version. however I wish they would have made that in the past. I would prefer the stainless for rust prevention and a little extra velocity. I would probably not run a muzzle device on it and they would be about the same length.

auto_luver
08-02-13, 16:50
^ What scope is that and how do you like it?

Leupold FX II 2.5x28 IER Scout #58810

I am very happy with this scope

auto_luver
08-02-13, 16:59
also- the rings I used were Leupold Rifleman detachable medium rings #55860

cinco
08-02-13, 17:10
Leupold FX II 2.5x28 IER Scout #58810

I am very happy with this scope

also- the rings I used were Leupold Rifleman detachable medium rings #55860

Great thank you. Where does that put your irons vs. center of scope height? Does the view through your scope clear the front site post with the medium rings?

auto_luver
08-02-13, 17:19
Great thank you. Where does that put your irons vs. center of scope height? Does the view through your scope clear the front site post with the medium rings?

can't use the iron sights with this set up, and yes- the scope is above the front sight

skipper49
08-02-13, 19:34
I've had my RGS since the first week of release. Just a great, accurate, multi-purpose carbine. Put Leupold 2X pistol scope on along with Leupold quick release rings. I had intended to just use that set-up til I latched onto a Leupold Scout scope, but the pistol scope has worked so well that I just haven't changed. I really like the RGSR.

Skip