PDA

View Full Version : mags similar in size to M&P45 mags...

Bogart
07-29-13, 00:00
(Mods feel free to move this to the gear section if I put this in the wrong one - wasn't sure which was more applicable.)

My duty gun is the M&P45 mid. My department issues us the SL Model 77 double mag pouch with flaps. Looking to get this double mag pouch instead, as I hate having flaps over my mags. (http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=75)
However, of all the S&W models they have listed, the M&P45 isn't there. I even contacted SL and was told that the slim-line open-top double mag pouch comes in a model that accepts M&P45 mags but I'm not crazy about the idea of having my rounds pointing out instead of forward.

So, what I need to know: are there any other mags out there (from the list under this specific mag pouch) with dimensions close enough to the M&P45 mags that I can order to use to fit M&P45 mags? I thought about maybe USP45 mags, but don't have access to any to be sure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rathos
07-29-13, 00:34
Mine fit perfectly into the bianchi open tops labeled for standard Glock 9mm/.40 mags. I have also found that most listed for glock 21 mags also work pretty well at least in bianchi nylon duty gear. The safarilaminate 3 mag pouch doesn't seem to accept the M&P .45 mags. I measured my M&P mags and my USP mags and the USP mags seem to be about an 8th of an inch thicker so I doubt those pouches would work if they are molded (they might work if you are using nylon gear with a tensioner).

If you have to use SL stuff then I would suggest calling their customer service line or looking at their will fit charts on their website.

Bogart
07-29-13, 00:56
If you have to use SL stuff then I would suggest calling their customer service line or looking at their will fit charts on their website.

I already tried both of these. The model I need isn't listed as being sized for the M&P45 mags. I contacted them directly and the only thing they referred me to is the slim-line variant where the rounds face out, instead of pointing forward - not a big fan of that. But yeah, we've gotta go with the SL stuff. The model 75 pouch does use a tension screw though, so you think something like a pouch molded for the Glock 45 mags with the tension screw all the way in might work?

rathos
07-29-13, 03:16
The 21 mags holders might work, but I don't have any to test or any holders made for it directly or to measure. I know in the bianchi stuff the 21 mag holders worked a lot better, but they are nylon and not molded.

Boris
07-29-13, 21:16
Yes, the 75 should work. Safariland stated that the M&P45 magazines were compatible with their GLOCK 21 or H&K45 mag holders when I called. I went with a single carrier (Model 074) and it works great for the M&P 45 mags although you do have to tighten down the retention screw all the way.

Steve S.
07-30-13, 20:29
I can't say what works for Safariland, but I believe the HK USP45 mags are really close in dimension. I can verify if you want. Just let me know.

Bogart
08-15-13, 16:42
I ordered a Model 75 double mag holder from F3 Tactical. It was the model fitted for the Glock 21 mags, as well as the USP and XD 45 mags and it was way too big, even with the tensioner screwed all the way down.

My G17 mags fit into the mag pouches that the PD issued me for the M&P45 mags. Does it make sense that it may work the opposite? M&P45 mags fitting in a Model 75 pouch molded for G17/22 mags? I think the M&P45 mags are slightly wider front to back, but other than that they seem about the same dimensions. Otherwise I feel like I'm SOL. Dunno why it would be so difficult to find one of these pouches that holds a mag of this size.

I'm about to return the pouch to F3 and then decide what to try after that.

Any thoughts?

Street Dog
08-15-13, 20:54
I am using the Safariland 079 open top mag pouch for Glock 17 /22 as a duty mag pouch for my M&P 45 mags.
This is listed as a concealment pouch, but it is made for 2 1/4 inch duty belts.

SmokeJumper
08-16-13, 17:37
The HK45 and MP45 mags, 10 rounders, are very very close in dimensions. I just measured using a caliper. So any mag pouch for the HK45 should work. For what its worth I'm running a Safariland 775 triple slim-line for the MP45 and no issues with rounds pointing forward, quicker reloads due to open top design. Good luck in your search

Bogart
08-27-13, 16:47
Ended up going with the open top pouch for G17/22 mags. Te fit is tight but good. I got the mag pouch, as well as some other SL duty gear from F3 Tactical (at the recommendation of a mod here) and they were excellent to work with. Highly recommend them!