PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE69xx series lower forge codes

xwarp
07-29-13, 05:15
I just picked up a very nice, nearly new, LE6920. I noticed the upper has the Cerro forge mark, while the lower has no markings.

I've searched through GB auctions just browsing pictures and have seen the Cerro keyhole on the lower left of the magwell and also on the trigger guard, as well as several not having anything.

Anyone happen to know who forged the unmarked lowers?

Doesn't really matter, just kind of curious, not that it matters since I got the thing for 400 less than what it would have cost at walmart for 1097 plus tax.

Obligatory pic of said rifle:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/xwarp/m4_zps6958c990.jpg

sinlessorrow
07-29-13, 07:10
Could be any number of forgeries. Without any ID code it will be hard to say.

Colt does their own machining though. Unless super backed up.

davidjinks
07-31-13, 07:28
I've got 5 Colt lowers. 3 have no forge markings, 1 has it on the magwell and 1 has it on the trigger guard. All Cerro forge markings.

I had a chance to ask Colt a while back about the change and was told all the lowers were from Cerro. Keep in mind, that information came from a CS rep at Colt so it could/could not be correct.

polymorpheous
07-31-13, 07:39
The companies that forge the raw lowers will usually have their marking on the pistol grip boss.
This gets machined off.

Cerro forge now puts their forge marking in front of the trigger guard.
It doesn't get machined off.

I haven't seen any other companies put their marks there.

OP, don't worry about it.
It is useless minutia.

xwarp
08-01-13, 04:32
OP, don't worry about it.
It is useless minutia.

Oh it wasn't something that I was worried about, just more out of curiosity since the lower on the rifle pictured above doesn't have a MFR forge code on it. It certainly did not stop me from buying it for 8 bills!

:smile: