PDA

View Full Version : Individual selling at a Gun Show

Wake27
07-29-13, 13:56
I usually try to avoid gun shows but noticed there is one in my area this weekend. Have any of you guys brought a weapon with the intention of selling it at a show? I believe its possible, if not fairly common, so I'm considering bringing my Noveske along in case someone there actually knows what they're looking for as far as quality. Any tips?

Iraqgunz
07-29-13, 15:44
Are you getting a table or walking around with it? If walking around I made up a print out using MS word to detail all the features and then taped it to my shirt. People would stop and ask the deal, etc...

One thing I learned is that the gun show is not the place to sell a good AR with the hopes of getting top dollar because people aren't very AR smart-especially at gun shows.

I usually try to avoid gun shows but noticed there is one in my area this weekend. Have any of you guys brought a weapon with the intention of selling it at a show? I believe its possible, if not fairly common, so I'm considering bringing my Noveske along in case someone there actually knows what they're looking for as far as quality. Any tips?

bulbvivid
07-29-13, 15:46

I sold an XD at a local show. I carried it in the case it came in and attached a printed label I made with the model and asking price on it in a relatively large font. That way people knew the gun was for sale, as opposed to one I just bought or whatever, and if someone was interested they could just come to me. Would be tougher to do with the rifle, but you could print something on heavier stock and then sling the rifle on your back with the sign hanging down. Just depends on how motivated you are to sell it.

If you're going anyway, take the gun, though if it's anything like the shows around here, most people won't know the value of it. You never know, though, especially now that many more people are becoming educated about the platform.

Ick
07-29-13, 15:56
You never know until you try. I can imagine it will be quite a learning experience. I expect you will have some stories and quotes for us post-show.

Wake27
07-29-13, 17:04
Are you getting a table or walking around with it? If walking around I made up a print out using MS word to detail all the features and then taped it to my shirt. People would stop and ask the deal, etc...

One thing I learned is that the gun show is not the place to sell a good AR with the hopes of getting top dollar because people aren't very AR smart-especially at gun shows.

Just walking around, its the only major thing I'm trying to sell so no real need for a table. I figured there would be very few, if any, people that would understand its quality but maybe I'll get lucky. That's a good idea about having all of the features printed out.

I sold an XD at a local show. I carried it in the case it came in and attached a printed label I made with the model and asking price on it in a relatively large font. That way people knew the gun was for sale, as opposed to one I just bought or whatever, and if someone was interested they could just come to me. Would be tougher to do with the rifle, but you could print something on heavier stock and then sling the rifle on your back with the sign hanging down. Just depends on how motivated you are to sell it.

If you're going anyway, take the gun, though if it's anything like the shows around here, most people won't know the value of it. You never know, though, especially now that many more people are becoming educated about the platform.

Yeah that's about what I was thinking - I'd attach a sign to it stating that its a factory Noveske and that its for sale and then just slinging it on my back.

SeriousStudent
07-29-13, 19:51
I usually carry a small daypack to carry home primers, projectiles, etc. So I just print up a sign like IG said, then attached it to a stick projecting above my pack.

It can make it easier for people to spot and read.

And bring cash to make change. A lot of folks will show up at a show, and not be able to pay exact amounts.

Ready.Fire.Aim
07-29-13, 20:32
Print a For Sale sign out with features. Tape it to a dowel and insert in the barrel. Carry it with sling on shoulder, barrel up.
This is a common method.