PDA

View Full Version : Any trigger time on the SIG P220 Elite S.A.O (Single Action Only)???

nickdrak
04-15-08, 16:22
Anyone have the chance to finger-bang one of the new Single Action Only versions of the P220 yet? I have been eye-balling the P220 Elite (Full size) SAO and the P220 Elite Carry SAO, and would appreciate any feed back on these pistols.

Full-size:
http://i26.tinypic.com/29xjign.jpg

"Carry":
http://i29.tinypic.com/bj5zew.jpg

ToddG
04-15-08, 19:18
I've shot a number of the early (no-bevertail non "Elite") prototypes of the P220 SAO system. I've also shot and handled many Elites. My thoughts fwiw:
The Elite beavertail is an abomination. It actually forces your hand lower on the grip than the standard backstrap design. It was done 100% as an aesthetic thing.
The SAO levers have gone through some revisions due to problems. Make sure it clicks on and off smoothly.
If you are right handed and want to use your right thumb to drop the slide release, the manual safety will block your reach. I couldn't reach it at all, but I have slightly smaller-than-average fingers.
SIG just began making their P220 slides with an external extractor. Based on the problems they've had with the stainless slide P220 internal extractors over the past four years, I'd highly recommend the external version if it proves to be reliable.
One nice feature of the safety is that, like the HK45 and M&P45, you can manipulate the slide to load or clear the weapon with the safety in the ON position. This is one more little precaution to help prevent loud noises resulting from brain farts.

bullitt5172
04-15-08, 19:36
I don't have trigger time on the P220 SAO, but I owned a P226 X-five Competition. It was a nice setup, trigger was clean. The thumb safety was heavy and hard to click on and off. Overall not as nice as a 1911 trigger but it was leaps and bounds better than the SA/DA trigger.

nickdrak
04-15-08, 20:20
Thanks for the feed back gents! Interesting points on the beavertail Todd. From looking at the stock photos I can already see exactly what you are referring to....

bullitt5172
04-15-08, 20:40
Thanks for the feed back gents! Interesting points on the beavertail Todd. From looking at the stock photos I can already see exactly what you are referring to....

The beavertail on my X-Five was actually comfortable. The beavertail is no lower than the stock setup, it curves upwards more and therefore looks bigger. You'll like it, it's not needed, but it's not uncomfortable and does not force your hand lower in my opinion.