PDA

View Full Version : ALG FCG fires hammer 50% of time when trigger is released

auto_luver
07-30-13, 20:26
I ordered and installed the ALG combat set and checked it for function, it seemed to work. I took it out to the range and about half the time the gun fired again when I released the trigger. I took it home and removed the parts to make sure that they were installed correctly, they were. I reinstalled them and checked for function, the same thing occurred, about half the time the hammer released when I released the trigger. I had a new fire control group so I removed the ALG and put in the other group. I checked out the function of the new group many times and had no problems with it. Today I took the gun out to the range and put 120 rounds through it and it functioned perfectly, both slow and rapid fire. In fact I was actually able to sight in my EOTech sight.
Not sure what was going on with that ALG set but it obviously didn’t agree with my lower :(

these were at 25 yards, the max range of the indoor facility that I use

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc511/autoluver/sighting_ar_w_eotech_25yards_zps438b82d4.jpg

djegators
07-30-13, 20:36
Have you contacted ALG yet? I had a QMS that would not reset. They shipped me a new one, no problems since.

krisjon
07-30-13, 20:58
Call and send it back to ALG (Geissele). I've always found their customer service to be responsive and ridiculously good.

Boba Fett v2
07-30-13, 21:17
Never had a problem with any of the ALG ACTs I've ever ran. Not saying it can't happen. Let us know how the warranty works out.

Kokopelli
07-30-13, 21:25
They'll take care of it/you.. Ron

auto_luver
07-31-13, 14:23
I called and left a message with ALG about what was happening, now I’ll wait to hear what they say.

Also-I have another AR that I installed the same hammer and trigger set in minus the pins, I used a different set instead of ALGs. I haven’t had the time to actually shoot it yet but I did remove the lower and ran it through several function tests and it functioned properly. I’ll know more on how it performs after I get a chance to actually shoot it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need to clarify- on the second AR, it was not the same set but the same type, an ALG combat trigger set.

Iraqgunz
07-31-13, 17:28
May I ask why you didn't use the supplied pins?

I called and left a message with ALG about what was happening, now I’ll wait to hear what they say.

Also-I have another AR that I installed the same hammer and trigger set in minus the pins, I used a different set instead of ALGs. I haven’t had the time to actually shoot it yet but I did remove the lower and ran it through several function tests and it functioned properly. I’ll know more on how it performs after I get a chance to actually shoot it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need to clarify- on the second AR, it was not the same set but the same type, an ALG combat trigger set.

sinlessorrow
07-31-13, 17:47
May I ask why you didn't use the supplied pins?

Sounded to me like he was eliminating variables.

auto_luver
07-31-13, 17:57
To be honest with you I didn’t do it on purpose, I just had a lot of parts on the table and used those. After I realized what I had done I decided to leave them in unless they created a problem. I am going to take my second AR with the second set of ALGs out to the range tomorrow. I will run 120 rounds of XM193 through it both slow and rapid fire to see how it performs. I’ll post back tomorrow how it did, hopefully one shot at a time.

on the first set I used ALG pins, that is the gun that malfunctioned

auto_luver
07-31-13, 18:07
Also- other than the pins all the other parts were ALG on my second AR. On the first AR I used those ALG pins. I know this is difficult to explain over the internet but I’m just trying to figure out what is going on.

darr3239
07-31-13, 18:12
What brand of lower did you put the trigger in?

Iraqgunz
07-31-13, 18:18
I don't believe this applies to the current situation unless I misread read what he did. I also don't think the pins are the problem.

Sounded to me like he was eliminating variables.

MarkG
07-31-13, 20:17
Your not taking the time to troubleshoot the problem down to the exact part. As you have a functioning FCG in now, put the parts that were causing the fire on release malfunction back in and change them out individually with the known good parts in the following order, performing a proper function check between each change:

Disconnector Spring
Disconnector
Trigger
Hammer

You will quickly isolate the offending part. It doesn't matter that one set is an ALG and one isn't.

Dave_M
08-01-13, 00:28
Knee-jerk is the disconnector. However, this is very sound advice when experiencing any sort of parts problem:

Your not taking the time to troubleshoot the problem down to the exact part. As you have a functioning FCG in now, put the parts that were causing the fire on release malfunction back in and change them out individually with the known good parts in the following order, performing a proper function check between each change:

Disconnector Spring
Disconnector
Trigger
Hammer

You will quickly isolate the offending part. It doesn't matter that one set is an ALG and one isn't.

Dave_M
08-01-13, 01:02
Double.

auto_luver
08-01-13, 01:25
I am very impressed with ALG’s customer service. I already received a response from them on the issue of my rifle firing on trigger release. They said that they suspect a problem with the trigger and are sending me a replacement tomorrow. Can’t ask for better than that!

darr3239
08-01-13, 13:10
I have several ARs and tried an ALG in my Colt. I never got to the point of shooting it, since the trigger wasn't resetting properly. I ignorantly forgot that particular Colt was a post-ban large pin model, and ALGs are only small pins. The difference in pin size is really small.

That's what prompted my question about the brand of lower you put it in.

auto_luver
08-01-13, 15:26
Just thought I’d post that I took the other AR that I installed the second ALG set in out to the range to test. I put 120 rounds though it and it fired perfectly. I was also able to get it sighted in as this was the first time I shot it.

auto_luver
08-01-13, 15:28
I have several ARs and tried an ALG in my Colt. I never got to the point of shooting it, since the trigger wasn't resetting properly. I ignorantly forgot that particular Colt was a post-ban large pin model, and ALGs are only small pins. The difference in pin size is really small.

That's what prompted my question about the brand of lower you put it in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

its an LRB ARMS

wl518
08-03-13, 01:26
I am having the same problem as OP as well. But I used all the parts ALG provided including pins. I followed Bill's video during installation an also did safety/function check on the rifle before I hit the range. I was able to fire the first round, but got nothing on the second shot. This was installed on a Mega Arms lower receiver.

Sounds like I should contact ALG as well

auto_luver
08-08-13, 19:31
just an update

ALG sent me a complete replacement set - cool :D

Hump66
08-08-13, 21:28
I've got 2 ACT's with no issues so far. Good to know if I do have one, it will be taken care of.