PDA

View Full Version : E-lander double feeds

NWcityguy2
07-30-13, 21:37
I read a lot of positive things about these mags online so I bought 5 and tried them out today with some co-workers. We were using our department issued Bushmasters XM-15s which are relatively new and stock as for as internal parts go and shooting Winchester 64gr powerpoints.

We each shot about 200 rounds and each magazine had multiple double feeds in all the rifles we were shooting. I did some searching online and haven't found anyone else talking about similar problems. I've always viewed double feeds as a magazine problem and not a gun problem but today it almost makes me wonder. These mags were made in 03/13 but don't have any lot # beyond that.

Any thoughts other than all 5 mags are bad brand new out of the box?

AKDoug
07-30-13, 21:49
Is it happening with other magazines?

Double feed means different things to different people. Is it a failure to extract and trying to feed another round into the stuck round, or is it two rounds popping out of the mag at once?

Iraqgunz
07-30-13, 21:59
When you say double feed, do you mean two live rounds attempting to occupy the chamber at the same time? If so, this is a magazine issue.

Or are you referring to a failure to extract (casing in the chamber) followed by a live round attempting to feed into the casing? If so, this is a chamber tightness/extractor issue.

NWcityguy2
07-30-13, 22:04
I am referring to two live rounds feeding out of the magazine at once and jamming in the chamber.

They have been double feeding with both bushmaster mags and USGI ones as well. They are very consistent about it which is why i had high hopes for the E-landers.

Iraqgunz
07-30-13, 22:09
Then this is indeed a magazine related issue. Not totally surprised by this with those mags.

I am referring to two live rounds feeding out of the magazine at once and jamming in the chamber.

Caduceus
07-31-13, 10:27
It's happened before. I had it happen, and so did this guy:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=122903&highlight=e-lander

1911-A1
07-31-13, 22:42
It's happened before. I had it happen, and so did this guy:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=122903&highlight=e-lander

I ended up replacing the ELander followers with Magpuls. I had to shave out a tiny notch for the mag catch indent, but so far, the three I tested ran fine. I have two left to try.

Caduceus
08-01-13, 07:22
I ended up replacing the ELander followers with Magpuls. I had to shave out a tiny notch for the mag catch indent, but so far, the three I tested ran fine. I have two left to try.

You shaved the mag body, or the magpul followers?

I think the "2nd gen" Elanders were the ones that were tight in the magwell and dropping free.

FWIW, I actually had 2 rounds get that same thing w/ a different magazine a few months after that post.

1911-A1
08-01-13, 10:00
You shaved the mag body, or the magpul followers?

I think the "2nd gen" Elanders were the ones that were tight in the magwell and dropping free.

FWIW, I actually had 2 rounds get that same thing w/ a different magazine a few months after that post.

Sorry for the confusion.

I had to shave a tiny bit from the Magpul followers because the Elander mags have a recessed mag detent, not just a hole. The follower hits it unless you shave a bit off.

RogerinTPA
08-01-13, 15:39
I can't recall a single soul recommending these mags on this forum or in any carbine class I've ever attended. Why people are so tempted to buy unproven mags on the cheap are beyond me, especially when the prices & availability of high quality mags have come back to normal and are plentiful.

1911-A1
08-02-13, 21:24
I can't recall a single soul recommending these mags on this forum or in any carbine class I've ever attended. Why people are so tempted to buy unproven mags on the cheap are beyond me, especially when the prices & availability of high quality mags have come back to normal and are plentiful.

I got 5 of these months ago when they were literally the ONLY mags available for "normal" prices. I knew going in that they'd never replace my Pmags and USGI aluminums. They're just range beaters.

slamd095
08-02-13, 22:13
Contact E-Lander

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=120043&page=22

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=120043&page=23

They are aware of some of the issues. Some of the shooters here had replacements and no issues moving forward.

1911-A1
08-03-13, 08:34
I did. They wanted me to ship them back to Alaska. I opted to try this first to see if it helped at all.

Slater
08-03-13, 11:42
I bought three of these recently from Midway (when they were on clearance for $9.92 each). Haven't had the chance to test them yet but they're dated 05/13, so fairly recent production.