PDA

View Full Version : CAI Imbel FAL quality

grantoga
07-30-13, 22:06
I have wanted a FAL for a while and have located one fairly close by. Its a CAI imported L1A1 with an Imbel receiver. It has a fixed charging handle, which is strange. I thought most inch FALS had a folding charging handle. It has the 21" barrel with a combo muzzle device. I was really hoping to find an 18" para model, so if I got this one, I may need to have some work done on it to get it where I want it. Can anyone tell me anything about the CAI imported L1A1s? Should I stay away? All my rifles are shooters, so Im looking for reliability most of all.

Kchen986
07-30-13, 22:31
I have a CAI Imbel FAL which has performed really well. I actually like it better than my 18" DSA Para Fal. No issues here.

SteyrAUG
07-31-13, 03:50
Here's the thing, there's more than one CAI Imbel FAL.

There are the factory sporters they imported and did the 922r parts compliance and they are decent rifles.

There are the "parts kit" guns they built on Imbel receivers and they are generally poor rifles built using militarily retired parts kits.

grantoga
07-31-13, 06:05
Interesting. This one is labeled L1A1 Sporter. It does not have the thumb hole stock. Any way to tell if it was imported complete or built by Century from a parts kit? Also, whats the value of these?

KalashniKEV
07-31-13, 09:44
Interesting. This one is labeled L1A1 Sporter. It does not have the thumb hole stock. Any way to tell if it was imported complete or built by Century from a parts kit? Also, whats the value of these?

It was not imported complete.

As Steyr said, there were many different receivers used through the years and various different lots of parts were assembled on them based on what CAI had on hand.

The good news is that problems are relatively easy to diagnose, most remedies you can perform yourself, and parts are still somewhat available.

The bad news is that you will probably have to do some work on a CAI franken FAL to get it to run 100%.

Unless it is stupid cheap and built on an Imbel, I recommend you buy a DSA.

MistWolf
07-31-13, 11:15
Is the seller listing it as a L1A1, or is the rifle engraved L1A1?

I think CAI did import a few complete rifles, but if it's commonwealth (what folks often call "inch pattern", the category the L1A1 falls into) parts assembled on an Imbel (metric pattern made in Brazil), it's not one of those. CAI rifles built on Imbel receivers are among the better ones.

The bad news is, CAI quality is hit & miss. CAI Angry Beavers sometimes were very creative in making the parts fit, not always in good ways. The good news is, any FAL can be set to rights and once they are, they stay right.

As the rifle is an inch pattern built on a metric receiver, you'll need to establish which pattern magazine it's set up for. Inch patterns will generally accept both inch and metric magazines. Metric patterns will only accept metric mags. Metric mags are much easier to find than inch mags. CAI normally cut the Imbel receivers to take inch mags.

The FAL is one of the finest rifles made

The best source of FAL knowledge on the planet is http://falfiles.com/forums/index.php

grantoga
07-31-13, 18:42
Thanks for the info guys. I signed up at Falfiles, but Im still waiting for some kind of moderator approval. They must be a very exclusive club!
Anyway, I passed on the CAI L1A1. It would have needed some work to get it exactly how I wanted it, and that would have put me over what I was willing to spend. Im gonna hold off until I can find either one with an 18" barrel already, or one of a known quality. Another thing I need to think about: I am well set up as far as AR mags and 5.56 ammo. Do I really want to begin stocking up for a brand new platform and caliber? Hmmmm...... yeah, I kinda do!

Kchen986
07-31-13, 18:48
Here's a good primer on the FAL:

http://www.savvysurvivor.com/fal.htm

tog
08-01-13, 09:18
Here's the thing, there's more than one CAI Imbel FAL.

There are the factory sporters they imported and did the 922r parts compliance and they are decent rifles.

There are the "parts kit" guns they built on Imbel receivers and they are generally poor rifles built using militarily retired parts kits.

If the OP gets a good receiver like the Imbel and maybe a decent barrel he can usually scrounge up enough of the other parts to make a good working rifle.

shootist~
08-01-13, 17:08
The CAI (thumb-hole stocked) L1A1 Sporter I ended up with was a POS. The barrel was chopped and it was under gassed. This is a Canada made import (and so marked) from the mid 90s. I chased down a decent looking Inch barrel and enough furniture and compliance parts to make it into an L1A1 re-build. Better, but still very so-so in the accuracy department (~4 MOA)

Finally, the early import Imbel receiver was used for a very nice metric Imbel on Imbel build, which is a great rifle. So I have a receiver that is marked L1A1 Sporter, but it's now a totally Metric rifle.

ETA on this:

It has the 21" barrel with a combo muzzle device.

A combo device sounds like a metric barrel.
If it has a metric (closed ear) barrel, but an L1A1 lower receiver and rear sight, the POI will be ungodly high. Pics would help identify what it really is.

Will_Power
08-01-13, 19:23
Thanks for the info guys. I signed up at Falfiles, but Im still waiting for some kind of moderator approval. They must be a very exclusive club!

The owner / main admin over there can disappear without warning, I've found.

PM me your forum name and/or email you registered with, and I'll pass it along to the mods/admins.

jyo
08-02-13, 02:57
I would like to point-out that 18" 308s are LOUD, as in VERY LOUD---if you need a shorter rifle because of space limitations, that's one thing, but if you just want it because it looks cool you might reconsider---the standard length FALs are MUCH more pleasent to shoot---just my observations from owning several org. factory FALs. Everybody should have at least one FAL...:p

BullittBoy
08-04-13, 09:55
Ha you ought to hear the 16" SCAR 17 if you think the FAL is loud:D
You will scare people at the range next to you

I have a Century built metric STEYR lower and parts kit on an Imbel receiver that I had Gunplumber go through.
1. He threaded the naked barrel and installed a US made Belgian style flash hider
2. Remarked the bolt and carrier serial numbers from the lower so they all match
3. Installed US made op rod and trigger parts
4. Checked headspace and re-finished in HK black
I installed a DSA plastic handguard and a Penguin "humpback" buttstock and with the flash hider it is a dead ringer for a Belgian 80's gun.
With original purchase, ARS Gunplumber fees, and my upgrades I still have only a little over $1K in the gun and open sights it shoots 2MOA at 100 and one ragged hole at 50 yards and is 100% reliable on gas setting 4.

eodinert
08-04-13, 14:54
If we're having a loud .308 contest, I'll whip out the 9.5 inch G3 clone ;-)

I second the 'find out who made the receiver' comments above. I have a Century build on an Imbel receiver, and once the US made gas piston bent from casual use (and got replaced), and I fixed the under timed barrel, it's been awesome.