PDA

View Full Version : TxCHL to FL CCW?

Shorts
07-31-13, 13:08
The possibility of a relocation has come up for us from TX to FL. We are TxCHL holders and plan to get our FL resident CCWs. My question is does the CHL-100 form (proof of continuing Edu for the TxCHL renewal course) satisfy the requirement as proof of competency?

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/firearms/acceptable_training_documentation.html

dash1
07-31-13, 15:48
Not sure, but you can check here;
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Florida issues non-resident licenses so it is possible to get one before you move.

Shorts
07-31-13, 20:21
Appreciate the input. I'll double check our timeline. Might be doable if processing times are short.

I'm dreading the FP...again. It's like Groundhog Day. I had to do mine twice this go 'round on renewal this spring. But I guess it is unavoidable to get the FL CCW.

SeriousStudent
07-31-13, 20:23
You're leaving us? :(

Shorts
07-31-13, 20:28
Yep, it looks likely. But not too long, couple years at most I hope. Texas is home. We thought we were settled.

SeriousStudent
07-31-13, 20:44
Agreed. I always end up back here.

Make sure you get a house with one of those red circle signs with the bar across it, that say "No Hurricanes". I hear signs are very effective at preventing unwanted events from occurring.

Don Robison
07-31-13, 23:11
If your form has an NRA instructor number on it, it will count. If you have a DD214 you can use that as well.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/firearms/acceptable_training_documentation.html

Shorts
08-02-13, 09:46
Don, I checked my CHL-100 form. It does not have an NRA instructor number. It does have listed my instructor and his instructor number. And here in TX instructors are certified/licensed through the TxDPS and statutory law. My instructor also has law enforcement credentials.

I guess that's why I wonder about the 'cut & dryness' of the proof requirement. Also I wonder if a TxCHL is valid proof? I didn't get it by failing course requirements.

I know applying for a CCW is not a court of law where I can present my evidence to prove my position. I can't help myself :jester:

Oh, no DD214 for me. My husband is the service member.

Don Robison
08-02-13, 10:41
Don, I checked my CHL-100 form. It does not have an NRA instructor number. It does have listed my instructor and his instructor number. And here in TX instructors are certified/licensed through the TxDPS and statutory law. My instructor also has law enforcement credentials.

I guess that's why I wonder about the 'cut & dryness' of the proof requirement. Also I wonder if a TxCHL is valid proof? I didn't get it by failing course requirements.

I know applying for a CCW is not a court of law where I can present my evidence to prove my position. I can't help myself :jester:

Oh, no DD214 for me. My husband is the service member.

For them to accept a commercial class the statute says it has to be taught by an NRA instructor. It doesn't have to be an NRA course, just taught by an NRA certified instructor, but there is an exception for Florida LE instructors since the state licenses them. I'm not sure if they make the same exception for out of state LE instructors. The TX training requirement far exceeds the FL requirement so they may accept it.
You can give them a call and ask for clarification. Their office in Tallahassee is pretty small, but they are surprisingly helpful and don't mind answering questions. I've called them a few times for various things. Their number is (850) 245-5500.

dash1
08-02-13, 10:54
I've called them several times and I've been very pleased with their customer service.

Shorts
08-02-13, 11:38
Thanks for the number. I gave them a call and talked to "Kerry, Operator 488". I gave him the run down. He stated he wasn't familiar with the CHL-100 form. He asked if it was a law enforcement taught course to which I replied "Instructors are certified by the Tx DPS". He said in that case the CHL-100 form should satisfy the requirement.

That is good news.

I appreciate the help running this down. This helps ease the stress of getting everything done as painless as possible. Yall take care.

(I will update this thread with the results just so the process is verified)

Don Robison
08-02-13, 14:59
Glad it helped.