PDA

View Full Version : Man forgotten in DEA cell drinks own urine to survive.

VIP3R 237
07-31-13, 16:42
Um this baffles me on so many levels.

http://fox13now.com/2013/07/31/daniel-chong-forgotten-in-dea-cell-settles-suit-for-4-1-million/

ALCOAR
07-31-13, 16:52
The joys of living in a prison society...:confused:

Man Denied Treatment Dies From Stroke In Prison (http://www.newstalkflorida.com/man-denied-treatment-dies-from-stroke-in-prison/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=man-denied-treatment-dies-from-stroke-in-prison)

SteyrAUG
07-31-13, 17:02
Such lawsuits should come out of their operational budgets. Those involved should have to pay 20% of their income until they leave their position.

Doc Safari
07-31-13, 17:17
Such lawsuits should come out of their operational budgets. Those involved should have to pay 20% of their income until they leave their position.

All involved should be sentenced to the same torment the person in question suffered.

Javelin
07-31-13, 17:28
We need to get rid of this shadow government and stop this prison society mentality. It is ridiculous.

VIP3R 237
07-31-13, 17:31
All involved should be sentenced to the same torment the person in question suffered.

I agree.

The fact that he was to the point where he had to drink his own urine to survive is mind numbing. When I was 15 I took a survival course with the Civil Air patrol unit I was in. Basically they dropped us off in the Utah desert for three days (well 2 half days and 1 full day) where we had to gather and forage for our food. When you are a growing 15 year old boy and you need a mountain of food each day to survive it sure makes you appreciate having modern grocery stores and restaurants. Its hard to sleep when your hungry, much less stuck in a cell with no windows.

Wake27
07-31-13, 18:01
I would've wanted a lot more from the federal government than 4.1 million. That seems like child's play compared to some of the lawsuits you here about.

Sensei
07-31-13, 19:28
I would've wanted a lot more from the federal government than 4.1 million. That seems like child's play compared to some of the lawsuits you here about.

Since the incident, Chong has returned to complete his undergraduate degree at UC San Diego, Yoo said. “He changed his major from engineering to economics and wants to finish school, pursue his career and help take care of his mother.”

Hopefully, the Econ degree helps him with that 4.1 Big.

Personally, I think that the involved agents should face charges for this degree of negligence.

Heavy Metal
07-31-13, 20:18
If he had had plumbing, he would have been able to drink ffrom the sink at least.

I can only assume there are supposed to be strict limits on how long somebody can be kept in a holding cell.

Moose-Knuckle
07-31-13, 21:09
Personally, I think that the involved agents should face charges for this degree of negligence.

This.

If he had had plumbing, he would have been able to drink ffrom the sink at least.

Even if the cell he was detained in had plumbing the water could have been shut off. Every cell has a plumbing chase accessible to staff so they can shut off water to a specific cell/dorm/pod in the event the inmate(s) are flooding them.

I can only assume there are supposed to be strict limits on how long somebody can be kept in a holding cell.

There are for traditional correctional facilities, but from everything that I have read in regard to this case it appears they secured him in an interview room inside their administration building not an actual jail. IIRC the last investigator to interview him was a Police officer assigned to a DEA task force. It sounds like they forgot about him over the weekend, maybe a long Federal holiday weekend.

Several of our detectives rotate out and are on loan to various alphabet task forces; DEA, FBI, USSS, et al. for years at a time. From time to time the DEA will bring individuals to our jail for us to hold for a short time. This may be while they are in transit to and from trial and or other things that I will not go into. My agency has SOPs in place to put eyes on every person in our custody every thirty minutes, fifteen for those that are on suicide watch, this is known as Guard Tours/Cell Checks. Our facility is staffed 24/7 365 days a year and at the beginning of each shift there is an unoccupied cell check performed as well as a roll call, all in place to prevent just this sort of thing from happening.

Koshinn
07-31-13, 23:19
Everything I've learned has taught me that drinking your own urine dehydrates you more than just not drinking it.

Hm..