PDA

View Full Version : My General Purpose Carbine Overview

Kilo 1-1
08-01-13, 02:34
This carbine's been slowly changing in the last 6 years. I wanted a general purpose carbine that served as a range/competition, hunting, and work gun. My requirements for the rifle weren't anything too demanding...I just need it to function properly. Expected range of use generally from less than 5 yards to 300 yards (and beyond as needed). I went with a fixed reflex sight for that purpose. Originally I kept it pretty close to the older SOPMOD Block 1 configuration, as I had a lot of the parts laying around to use for it. I've used this rifle for a couple of years, so it'll reflect what I have found worked for me.

This carbine started off as a complete standard Stag upper with a RRA lower. After 4 years of use, I decided to upgrade to a BCM LW carbine upper and stored the old upper as a spare.
In it's latest iteration, the parts/break down (with explanation) is as follows:
Upper:
- BCM 16" LW Carbine gas upper - Went with this because I found the pencil barrel to balance better. Although the weight shavings is not substantial, it still made a difference when carrying the carbine for hours on end. I also shoot a lot of weaker training ammo. The 16" carbine gas sys gives it a little more boost to cycle it. I also didn't want a pinned muzzle device. I knew eventually down the road, I'd want a FF rail/tube that would incorporate a cut out for a FSB. Most rails out there like this are designed for carbine length gas sytems. I also wanted a pinned/fixed FSB for simplicity and reliability
- A2 Birdcage - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not a fan of obnoxious comps.
- Spike's HP/MPT BCG - Couldn't source a BCM BCG at the time when I got the new upper. So far so good after thousands of rounds.
- BCM Gunfighter mod 4 (the earlier version) - Hands down a big improvement over the standard CH's. Mod 4 was the right latch size for me.
- ARMS #40 - Old school/bulky BUIS, but it's robust and works. It's what I have...and I got it relatively cheap during a clearance sale a while back. I also have a Matech BUIS, but left it on my old spare upper.
- Aimpoint PRO - Replaced my obsolete EOtech. Best value for a serious use optic that's IR compatible. Biggest selling point for me was reliability and longer battery life than the EOtechs.
- Troy Delta Rail (FF) - I used the KAC RAS for years. I still believe the RAS is still the best non-FF rail out there, but I wanted something with more real estate for support hand. After looking at rails that offered FSB cut outs (Centurion, DD RIS II, etc), I went with the Delta because it is a completely drop in unit (where as the others required cutting the delta ring or changing barrel nuts). I also liked how there weren't rails hanging everywhere, and cuts down on weight. After using this for over 8 months, I like it a lot. The old RAS's sitting on my old upper now.
- Magpul XTM handstop - What the Magpul AFG should have been from the start. I stopped using VFGs a while back, found the handstop to better use for my shooting posture.
- KAC Bipod stud adapter- Old piece of kit I had laying around. Attached on front to allow the use of a bipod when needed (rarely). I use it for zeroing/confirming zero of optics, and or longer range shots requiring precision on the go. Most times, bipod is NOT mounted on the carbine.
- Magpul RSA - I use a HK hook for the front of my BFG VCAS sling. I got a D-ring attached to the rear base of the sling, allows me to convert it to a single point via HK hook if I needed it.
- Surefire G2 (non-LED) in a Vltor mount - Old school light I had for years. Stuck with it because if I had to use an IR lens filter, the incandescent bulb seems to work better with IR filter than the LED ones. Took the Insight M3 off, wasn't as robust as the old G2.

Lower:
- RRA Lower - It is what it is, bought this 6 years ago. I ended swapping out the receiver extension with a mil-spec one.
-RRA Ambi selector – I like it because it doesn’t have an external screw on the other side of the selector. Been using it for about 4 years now, no issues. I ground down the support side selector so it wouldn’t interfere with my trigger finger.
- H buffer - 16" carbine uppers gassy in nature. Still cycles with weaker loads, which is why I didn't go H2. This still subjectively makes the carbine one of the smoothest shooting carbine I've shot (with the properly sized gas port). It has a softer impulse than some midlength guns with comps on them (subjectively).
- GG&G sling receiver plate - For the VCAS sling. This placement allows me to convert to the single point sling when needed with the D-ring I added (which rarely happens). In 2 point configuration, it doesn't hang up on the stock if I had to go high ready to clear the muzzle of low barriers/objects/people.
- B5 SOPMOD stock with CAT Tourniquette and range card - I used to have a CTR on it. I went with the SOPMOD because of the wider body for the cheek wield. I also have spare CR123, AAA batteries, and foam ear plugs in the compartments
- Magpul MOE pistol grip - Low cost alternative that works well. Have some 3M grip tape on the front and rear. The compartment inside holds the allen wrenches for the rail, optic mount, and for other parts.
- Redimag Gen 1 (modified) – It’s like a boat anchor, but I like having the option of storing an extra mag on the gun if I need it (ie: patrol rifle or HD). I've modified a slanted cut on the magwell (similar to the Redi-mods by BFG). I didn’t go crazy with the skeletal cuts to keep dust/debris out of the spare mag. The mag release on the Redimag's also been modified to where it doesn't automatically dump the spare mag.
- Spike's Nickel Boron hammer - Gimmicky, but it's not notched at the top if I needed to run a .22 bolt. Don't see a huge improvement in functioning with the coating.
- Magpul BAD - Controversial, I know. I use it mostly because of the Redi-mag. This is the old first generation BAD...and I've used it for almost 4 years now, functions well in lower and doesn't interfere with bolt catch operation. I use it mostly as an over-sized bolt catch. Greatest use for me is for locking the bolt back in malfunction drills/uses. This is specifically for this lower only (sample size of one).

That's pretty much it. Everything with screws been loctited and witness marked with an orange Sharpie paint marker. Light and optic's been dummy corded with 550 cord.
For a while, the carbine was like this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/7885/pt4h.jpg
It has gone through some changes since then. Note the ancient EOtech 502 (that's right, the 502, no protective hood, N-type batteries).
Changed to this: (Description above)
http://imageshack.us/a/img203/1250/07dz.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/7254/6dhx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/1639/6v8i.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/5760/vbiw.jpg
Note the grounded down selector.

Bipod (not used often, but the option is there if needed)
http://imageshack.us/a/img14/4449/8jeq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/1350/t4hb.jpg
And for kicks: 40 rounder Pmag (functions pretty well).
http://imageshack.us/a/img90/1318/0n1z.jpg

Let me know if there’s any questions, and thanks for reading this.
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/7255/ev6u.jpg

skijunkie55
08-01-13, 07:19
I have to ask...

How much does this weigh with the current setup?

Kilo 1-1
08-01-13, 10:30
Don't have access to an electronic scale. I would say around 8lb or so - unloaded.
I normally don't carry a 2nd mag in the redi-mag during standard range use. I have something in there for transportation/storage when I want more ammo for it.

dentron
08-04-13, 10:11
Nice build man.

dash1
08-04-13, 10:51
The Ranger Instructor in me wants to critique the knots you used. The knots look like they are just a series of half hitches. Half hitch knots are constant tension knots. An end of the line bow line knot is more secure. Also the RDS itself isn't tied down, just the mount is. I'm sure this is because you loctited the screws? Also, if the light is going to come out of its mount, then it will slip out of the cord. To prevent the cord from coming off a tube shaped item, use 100 MPH tape to further secure it.

Having said all this, I personally don't use tie downs on my carbine. I only use Loctite. However, I have seen RDS, among a host of other sensitive items, lost because they weren't tied down. But these items were lost in the field, not on a range.

Kilo 1-1
08-04-13, 15:13
Understood, thanks for the feedback. The screws for the mount are loctited and witness marked.

I did a half-assed job tying the AP and the light, so I'll back around to re-tying them. I got some 100mph laying around as well.

The Ranger Instructor in me wants to critique the knots you used. The knots look like they are just a series of half hitches. Half hitch knots are constant tension knots. An end of the line bow line knot is more secure. Also the RDS itself isn't tied down, just the mount is. I'm sure this is because you loctited the screws? Also, if the light is going to come out of its mount, then it will slip out of the cord. To prevent the cord from coming off a tube shaped item, use 100 MPH tape to further secure it.

Having said all this, I personally don't use tie downs on my carbine. I only use Loctite. However, I have seen RDS, among a host of other sensitive items, lost because they weren't tied down. But these items were lost in the field, not on a range.

PhuLish
08-04-13, 19:44
Eotech 502 n type batteries, finally someone else who still (kinda) has one! I only recently replaced mine with a H1. As someone with bad eyes, the eotech reticle was nice and it's lasted 6 long, tough years. It still works to this day but gobbles up batteries like none other, it had to be retired.

Kilo 1-1
08-04-13, 19:59
Nice build man.

Thanks

Eotech 502 n type batteries, finally someone else who still (kinda) has one! I only recently replaced mine with a H1. As someone with bad eyes, the eotech reticle was nice and it's lasted 6 long, tough years. It still works to this day but gobbles up batteries like none other, it had to be retired.

I liked the size for what it was in it's era...but with the AP T1's or even the XPS line, it's just obsolete. I learned to take the N-type batteries out of the optic when not in use as they were still being drained even when turned off. Unacceptable by today's standard.

docsherm
08-05-13, 10:34
Looks real good. I have been following the evolution of your carbine, nicely done.

Now you just need some paint so it doesn't look so new.....
:D

Noodles
08-05-13, 12:51
I would say around 8lb or so - unloaded.

Not a chance. Fwiw, I've found a lot of use for my $20 harbor freight scale, calibrated with 5.5lbs of potatoes.

Kilo 1-1
08-05-13, 15:40
Looks real good. I have been following the evolution of your carbine, nicely done.

Now you just need some paint so it doesn't look so new.....
:D

Thanks doc. I gotta find that can of Rustoleum paint I have somewhere. The difference in surface temperatures between the unpainted and painted surfaces are noticeable in the sun.

Not a chance. Fwiw, I've found a lot of use for my $20 harbor freight scale, calibrated with 5.5lbs of potatoes.

I'll look into procuring a scale. The weight estimation did not include the bipod (since I normally don't have it mounted) or mags...and it's just an estimation and could be 0.5-1lb more, who knows.

Kilo 1-1
08-08-13, 14:54
As I said earlier, the carbine changes with use and time slowly.

After some more range time and taking some time to evaluate what I had, some changes were made to make it more streamlined with a more non-BS approach.

Changes:
- After evaluating my use of the Redi-mag, I realized I only used it for storage to carry an extra mag. For live fire, I don't fuel it up with the second mag as I have spare mags on belt system or pocket. It's made of steel and adds bulk and weight, so I took it off.
- Magpul BAD came off, no point in me to keep it since I'm not using the Redi-mag. No training scars here, as I always followed the standard operating mechanics with or without the BAD.
- Changed the position of the Magpul Hand stop more forward of the rail. Moved the KAC Bipod stud to the rear of it. Reasons for doing this, helps the support hand from being burned by FSB (by having hand forward). Learned this from forgetting my gloves during a training session one day. Also helps with the balance of the carbine.
- Took off the Butler Creek lens cap for the Surefire. Wasn't really needed, no point in having it on there anymore.
- Dug out my old CTR with extended rubber pad. I like the SOPMOD's cheek wield and storage capacity, but weight and and straight vertical pad in the back weren't working as well for me. I like the CTR's angled rear shoulder pad. I'm going to run the CTR again for a while again since I've had 9 months with the SOPMOD to make another comparison for future choices. Transfered the bullet range card and CAT tourniquet over.
- Re-tied the PRO and Surefire to the AR thanks to Dash1's suggestion. Secured the 550 cord on the Surefire further with 100mph tape. A little excessive? Probably, but I like everything tied on it so it's "stuck" on the rifle (less likely other ppl dicking around and taking parts on and off of it). Jumping out of a plane has given me a better appreciation of having things better "secured."
- Got some NHMTG USGI mags (30 rounders and 20 rounders) with Magpuls on them. The 30 rounders have the anti-tilt followers. I like the USGI 20 rounders better than the 20 rounder P-mags. These mags work. I've been having issues with the M3 Pmags, but got most of them resolved. No issues with the old Gen 1 or M2 P-mags (and run like champs).

The result is what I feel is a tighter, lighter, and more streamlined package.

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/5113/zs27.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/6438/ec6k.jpg
Reworked front end.

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/8313/z59m.jpg
Once again, I don't use the bipod often, but it's an option there if needed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/4603/n7w1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/5899/9x38.jpg

dash1
08-08-13, 16:50
Just yesterday I saw a young man struggling with a loose ACOG. I don't know the details of how or why the ACOG was dangling, I just saw him scrambling to get his gear into a vehicle for departure, good thing it was tied down.

BiggLee71
08-08-13, 19:38
Nice rifle Devil Dog

jmk
08-08-13, 20:52
the coolest thing about your set up is that it's evolutionary. everything seems to have been a thoughtful decision.

i'm in no position to critique, only to comment:

paint - just so it gets back to having "character" ;)

comp - based on your setup, i'm thinking BCM mod 0

no harm in the bipod being further back - your primary grip should take precedence - and the CG will be better. i even hear some AK DMR's have them on the receiver(!)

i would put the redi-mag back on for when you travel with the rifle.

what prob's are you having with pmag M3's - i don't have any run-time with them (yet).

good lessons in that set up for me - thank you.

docsherm
08-08-13, 22:35
Still needs paint....:jester:

Kilo 1-1
08-09-13, 00:21
Just yesterday I saw a young man struggling with a loose ACOG. I don't know the details of how or why the ACOG was dangling, I just saw him scrambling to get his gear into a vehicle for departure, good thing it was tied down.

At least it's "still" on his rifle one way or another.

Nice rifle Devil Dog
Thanks, but not current/former USMC.

the coolest thing about your set up is that it's evolutionary. everything seems to have been a thoughtful decision.

i'm in no position to critique, only to comment:

paint - just so it gets back to having "character" ;)

comp - based on your setup, i'm thinking BCM mod 0

no harm in the bipod being further back - your primary grip should take precedence - and the CG will be better. i even hear some AK DMR's have them on the receiver(!)

i would put the redi-mag back on for when you travel with the rifle.

what prob's are you having with pmag M3's - i don't have any run-time with them (yet).

good lessons in that set up for me - thank you.

Thanks, I share my experience so others can take what they deem helpful and go from there. The sample size of three M3's didn't drop free from my mag. One of them had a follower that wouldn't engage the bolt catch (with and w/o the BAD lever). After grinding/buffing/polishing, all the mags drop free and work as they should. The one mag that doesn't engage the bolt lock 100%'s been marked as a range only mag for training purposes. The newer 40 rounder Pmag works really great though. M2s and old Gen 1s work solid in my lower.

Still needs paint....:jester:
Haha, I'll get to it, still looking for that damn can. I liked the Rustoleum sandstone because of the texture and color.