PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Tactical: Tactical Pistol/Carbine, July 28th in Dripping Springs, Tx

criterion01
08-01-13, 06:20
Posted with permission.

Class: Tactical Pistol and Carbine - Criterion Tactical, LLC
Instructor: Mr. Kelly Venden
When: 28 JUL 13 0900-1700
Where: Progressive Combat Skills Range, Dripping Springs TX
Requirements: 200 rounds pistol ammo, 200 rounds rifle ammo, standard safety items
Gear: Smith and Wesson MP9, Blade tech holster, HSGI taco mag pouch, HSGI Brokos Belt, LWRC carbine with Eotech, Magpul sling, mix of old issue-type mags and Pmags, HSGI Warlord Chest rig

Intro: Many years of Active Duty Army. I have done a few courses for both pistol and carbine. I have done a few matches sporadically of different types and especially enjoy Texas biathlon (summer-biathalon) type matches. I have deployed a few times to different environments in SW Asia/ Middle East.

My class was small. Kelly started out after the regular paperwork/intro by doing some drills cold on the timer. Almost all of the pistol shooting was on steel. Almost all of the carbine work was onto paper due to the length of the range set up that day. Mr Venden induced "stress" through the use of the timer and by progressively changing the drill. Anything less than an "A zone" hit was discarded. He would frequently ask what I saw or what my sight picture was like on those shots. Despite the timer, Kelly did not use the words fast. He stressed efficient (which implies speed will follow). He stressed consistency and perfect practice. Over the eight hours, I expected to get away with a few training scars that would go by unnoticed. I did not. We moved through things quickly but always with the opportunity to do more of the same drill or ask questions. I was never bored with anything we were doing. Movement was emphasized as was shooting strong hand or "other strong hand only." Often standards for the Federal Air Marshals were referenced for comparison. I feel that there was only approximately 45 cumulative minutes not spent on the range. I really don't remember looking at my watch until the end. Those few minutes off the range were split between grabbing ammo, lunch, topping off water, etc. Mags were loaded as he taught. Carbine instruction followed the same flow. He did spend some time looking at my setup and asked me to consider sling position for shooting off my left shoulder. A fair amount of carbine was from unorthodox positions/left shoulder. Carbine work also consisted of shooting from under and through the barricades provided from PCST. We covered malfunctions of both weapons/ transition to pistol and transition while moving. I am estimating that I likely used 300 pistol and 200 rifle rounds on the course.
I did see quantifiable improvements on things we did based on the timer as the day went on. Those will be maximized as I continue to think about them and through the use of increased dry fire.

Gear issues: Eotech has a fair amount of time used, has been overseas and was purchased in 06. Hadn't used this particular one in over a year except to replace battery and check its function. I had some difficulty with picking up the dot when shooting off my left shoulder and swear it is not nearly as bright as my newer Eotechs. This was in the bright TX sun looking at light colored targets. Everything else worked well. Lack of me shooting carbine weak-sided likely factored into this.

Main Takeaways: I am definitely going to take more courses with Criterion Tactical. This time was much more valuable than the price of the course. Kelly's credentials speak for themselves. In addition, he is a gifted teacher that has the outstanding ability to observe and relate that information to the student. Not everyone who can do things at a high level can teach it. Kelly obviously can and does. Most outstanding in looking back is the amount of attention and effort I felt he gave me. I do not feel like I was just firing rounds to practice. I felt like I wasn't just firing for the sake of burning rounds to achieve a certain round count. I felt like there was a lot of instruction per round. I have plenty of rounds to burn but still appreciate that I can continue to work on the points he taught me on my own. DRY FIRE. I probably shoot 10 range trips to every time I pick up a weapon to dry fire (that is being generous). I have equipment placed at home to do this with. I will change this by the next time I train with Criterion Tactical. BLUF- I will do this course again and urge like minded friends do the same.

Many thanks to Mr Venden. Thank-you also to PCST-TX / Phil for setting this up and for use of the range.
v/r,
Harry