PDA

View Full Version : BCM Uppers

ghostrider1
08-01-13, 15:13
I am in the market for one of BCM's already put together uppers. My question is, I want to have a different rail installed and I don't want to buy the other rail separately. Has anyone else had this issue or did you just buy the rail you wanted afterwards??

sammage
08-01-13, 15:21
I am in the market for one of BCM's already put together uppers. My question is, I want to have a different rail installed and I don't want to buy the other rail separately. Has anyone else had this issue or did you just buy the rail you wanted afterwards??

Most folks just buy the rail separately and install it themselves. Another option is to contact Grant at http://www.gandrtactical.com/‎ as he does carry BCM uppers along with many different rails.

skijunkie55
08-01-13, 15:32
Or... You could just go to the source?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm

They have several pre-installed options from various manufacturers.

ghostrider1
08-01-13, 17:35
I'll emial Grant in a few. As far as Bravo Company themselves, I did contact them and pretty much didn't get the answer I was looking for. I was told that the uppers are already put together and that I could either order the parts and have it put together by a smith or order the upper and the extra rail (not trying to spend extra $$$ if I don't have to). I just figured I would ask others if they have had this issue before.

skijunkie55
08-01-13, 19:06
Which rail are you looking for specifically?
You can buy the uppers without the rail and put your own on... I guess I'm not sure what the issue is?

I did this with my latest rifle. 14.5 BCM carbine, put on the RIS II rail, then had the flash hider pinned.

just a scout
08-01-13, 19:07
I like doing it myself as it helps me to learn the system better.

3ACR_Scout
08-01-13, 20:08
Check the price for one of the pre-assembled BCM uppers with rail system on their website, if there's one that's comparable to the one you want. I ordered a BFH 16" mid length a few months ago - I wanted a Larue 9" handguard to go with it, but BCM has been out of stock on those for a while, including the pre-assembled version. I ended up ordering the rail system from Larue directly (about a 3 week wait, since it was initially listed as out of stock), and I had a local armorer install the handguard for $25. It all actually came out to be cheaper than buying the complete upper setup from BCM, even with shipping on the different components.

Dave

Repawn
08-01-13, 20:11
Are you looking for something like this?
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=443

ghostrider1
08-01-13, 20:49
Which rail are you looking for specifically?
You can buy the uppers without the rail and put your own on... I guess I'm not sure what the issue is?

I did this with my latest rifle. 14.5 BCM carbine, put on the RIS II rail, then had the flash hider pinned.

Looking to get a 13" Troy vtac rail with either a BC 1.5 or surefire mb556k. I want to avoid any problems with then a rules (me having the sbr barrel).

ghostrider1
08-01-13, 20:50
Are you looking for something like this?
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=443

Yes, without the fab and a2 pinned.

skijunkie55
08-01-13, 22:01
Looking to get a 13" Troy vtac rail with either a BC 1.5 or surefire mb556k. I want to avoid any problems with then a rules (me having the sbr barrel).

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm

This is a good option here. The a2 wouldn't be pinned and you can have it without "breaking any rules." But you'll get varying opinions on that one. If you're looking for a 14.5 barrel instead of 16 you'll probly have to do piece by piece.

mikeith
08-01-13, 22:13
I'm actually surprised that bcm doesn't offer their rail-less uppers with a lo-pro gas block Pre-installed!

just a scout
08-01-13, 22:39
I'm actually surprised that bcm doesn't offer their rail-less uppers with a lo-pro gas block Pre-installed!

Hear! Hear! Agree completely. Seems like a no brainier to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

uffdaphil
08-01-13, 23:02
I'd like to see that option too. But would not work when you have to swap in a proprietary barrel nut for the new rails like my Centurion CMR.

Vgex2
08-01-13, 23:18
I'd like to see that option too. But would not work when you have to swap in a proprietary barrel nut for the new rails like my Centurion CMR.

But it would work, with the stock barrel nut, with Fortis Keymod, Centurion C4, Troy Alpha, etc. Then they would not even need to have separate uppers. Just a dropdown for the above uppers or w/out the rail. Would make a lot of sense actually. Save people the trouble of either shaving a FSB, or buying the cheapest option, like the Troy Alpha variant, just to sell the removed rail onine.

mjarcuri
08-01-13, 23:59
Can you just buy the upper assembly (14.5 pinned b.c.) and rail seperate. Then cut the delta ring off and shave the fsb while attached?

mtdawg169
08-02-13, 00:23

Daniel Defense and Noveske sell barrels with factory pinned gas blocks. I'd really like to see BCM do the same with their uppers. It would be nice to be able to drop in a GI barrel nut compatible rail of your choice. And if that didn't suit your needs, just tear it down and swap the barrel nut out.

Col_Crocs
08-02-13, 00:43
^^ and Centurion. ;)
OP, the rail you want mounts on a standard barrel nut. You could just go ahead and get the basic upper config with your preferred muzzle device, then, snip off and cut off the HG cap and delta ring, respectively, and shave down the FSB in place.

steyrman13
08-02-13, 07:24
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=135902
One just popped up In EE almost exactly to your specs but different Troy rail than vtac but very close

ghostrider1
08-02-13, 07:32
But it would work, with the stock barrel nut, with Fortis Keymod, Centurion C4, Troy Alpha, etc. Then they would not even need to have separate uppers. Just a dropdown for the above uppers or w/out the rail. Would make a lot of sense actually. Save people the trouble of either shaving a FSB, or buying the cheapest option, like the Troy Alpha variant, just to sell the removed rail onine.

Yes, this would help. I'm not trying cut and grind anything down.

ghostrider1
08-02-13, 07:32
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=135902
One just popped up In EE almost exactly to your specs but different Troy rail than vtac but very close

Checking on it now!

brianc142
08-02-13, 07:45
I don't remember seeing any on their webpage with lo-pro gas blocks and no rail but I bought this from another forum member and I'm pretty sure it's a factory BCM upper.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134631&highlight=bcm

(Caveat: I did not ask before I bought it and I'm still deployed so I haven't seen it in person yet.)

uffdaphil
08-02-13, 07:59
I'm currently working on three BCM's all with 14.5" LW barrels. 1.) CMR, 2.) C4 cutout, and 3.) Fortis, so needed to do all the different methods to mount. Shaving the FSB is the hard one because the Battlecomp was pre-pinned and my old eyes don't focus well up close.

ghostrider1
08-02-13, 09:17
I don't remember seeing any on their webpage with lo-pro gas blocks and no rail but I bought this from another forum member and I'm pretty sure it's a factory BCM upper.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134631&highlight=bcm

(Caveat: I did not ask before I bought it and I'm still deployed so I haven't seen it in person yet.)

This right here is what I want, only in 14.5. I can buy the rail and put it on myself. I checked the website, I didn't see anything like this. Are you sure this was factory bcm? Did the member buy the parts and bcm assembled it for him?? They won't even do that (assemble) for me.

C4IGrant
08-02-13, 09:19
Why not buy the upper you want, shave down the FSB and then install the rail you would like???

C4

thatpanda
08-02-13, 10:09
I had 14.5 lw sent directly to adco from bcm once, then I had adco install the rail I wanted and perm my flash hider. Everything went smoothly, and bcm even called me before my order shipped to make sure it was supposed to go to adco. The guy on the phone said they ship to adco all the time for custom work.

Dos Cylindros
08-02-13, 10:34
Why not buy the upper you want, shave down the FSB and then install the rail you would like???

C4

It seems from his posts that he is either unwilling, or not confident enough to take that job on himself. OP, shaving down the front sight base is a common and easy task to accomplish. There are many YouTube videos on the process. Give it a shot.

ghostrider1
08-02-13, 11:05
I'm confident to custom work but, not that (cutting the fab). Grant, do you'll asemble uppers there?? I might have to wait until parts are in stock though. I will contact ADCO about asembly if I order the parts.

C4IGrant
08-02-13, 13:20
I'm confident to custom work but, not that (cutting the fab). Grant, do you'll asemble uppers there?? I might have to wait until parts are in stock though. I will contact ADCO about asembly if I order the parts.

We CAN do it all, but time is our enemy (so we cannot help with shaving of FSB's).

Cutting down a FSB is SO EASY that my wife could do it I think. So I would give it a try yourself. Worst case scenario is that you have to send it out to have a GB pinned on.

C4

ghostrider1
08-02-13, 18:56
I got some good news!!! I got in touch with my LGS, they will assemble the upper for me. I just have to order the parts from BCM. Sorry for the misspelled words (auto correct).

steyrman13
08-02-13, 19:18
I got some good news!!! I got in touch with my LGS, they will assemble the upper for me. I just have to order the parts from BCM. Sorry for the misspelled words (auto correct).

Are you sure they are fully capable?
Qualified?

DocH
08-02-13, 19:32

Good point,but although it would certainly be beneficial to purchasers to have these options,we would have to examine the benefits,or lack thereof to BCM as a business.Would it increase sales or simply slow down production by trying to keep all the available options stocked? They are a high demand product by those in the know,and I'm certain they are operating at full throttle currently,especially with everything going on the U.S. right now.
It kind of goes to what Grant said in previous post.They probably don't have the time and ,what would the long term cost vs.profit be if they should attempt to initiate such a program? Great idea for us but it would have to be analyzed from a "for profit" business perspective.

ghostrider1
08-02-13, 22:13
Are you sure they are fully capable?
Qualified?

I told them I would get back to them. On the other hand, I did email ADCO about it but haven't heard anything from them as of yet.