PDA

View Full Version : Dissipator Options, mostly the barrel

ASH556
08-01-13, 16:05
So with the great fall in prices recently and already having two very nice, squared-away rifles, I've got the itch to build a KISS, range beater. I have a PSA lower and LPK. I'm wanting to try out the fixed MOE skeleton stock. For the upper, I want a lightweight with a 12" handguard and a fixed FSB. For the sake of keeping costs down and since I already have two other rifles with rails, I want to go with MOE handguards. Not enjoying the cramped style of a 7" set of handguards, I was thinking of going with a dissipator with 12" MOE handguards. I have no problem chopping an FSB, but I don't have a way to drill a new FSB for taper pins @ the end of the barrel to make my own dissipator. ADCO charges $130 for the service. Even then, I've read some about strange barrel tapers making it an issue to do so.

My question is, does anyone make a LW dissipator barrel or URG?

Thanks!

karmapolice
08-01-13, 16:41
This would be interesting, I think BCM made some dissipator uppers for a minute but don't think they do anymore.

I think my next build is going to be a 14.5" pinned with bcm comp otherwise a clone of my 16" gun and then do the same with another sbr. I want to see this idea of yours come to fruition and play with it ;)

AKDoug
08-01-13, 16:44
PSA makes one. No clue when it'd be back in stock. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-cmv-cl-midlength-premium-dissipator.html

ASH556
08-01-13, 16:51
This would be interesting, I think BCM made some dissipator uppers for a minute but don't think they do anymore.

I think my next build is going to be a 14.5" pinned with bcm comp otherwise a clone of my 16" gun and then do the same with another sbr. I want to see this idea of yours come to fruition and play with it ;)

MMMM...BCM comp on it too!

operator81
08-02-13, 22:31
Spikes makes a dissipator upper available through AIM Surplus. I've been on the notify list for over 6 months now :-(.

Split66
08-03-13, 01:41
There's a dicked up Bushmaster dissy at my LGS for $1500. That's the last one I've seen in a while.....and I doubt you are interested.

:(

Shiz
08-03-13, 08:51
If BCM ever did a production run of their Dissy, I would have one by now. One of those things I was hoping would come to pass but never did.

peabody
08-03-13, 09:22
del ton has dissipator barrels..
rifle gas ..
i love mine . it was an HBAR . i took it to my machine shop. got a bunch of weight off it.. silly thing shoots really well.

MFWIC2
08-31-13, 13:17
I know this is a silly question. But are PSA Dissipator uppers on the same level as far as quality and durability as BCM uppers?

MiamiCracker
08-31-13, 13:29
I know this is a silly question. But are PSA Dissipator uppers on the same level as far as quality and durability as BCM uppers?

PSA is gtg.

scoutchris
08-31-13, 13:32
del ton has dissipator barrels..
rifle gas ..
i love mine . it was an HBAR . i took it to my machine shop. got a bunch of weight off it.. silly thing shoots really well.

You put a del ton barrel on a lathe? That doesn't seem smart.

VIP3R 237
08-31-13, 13:45

Both are getting their chf barrels from FN. And spec wise they seem to be equal.

mtdawg169
08-31-13, 14:19
Both are getting their chf barrels from FN. And spec wise they seem to be equal.

When it comes to a dissy, my primary concern would be port size. Does anyone know what the ideal port size should be?

William B.
08-31-13, 14:29
I'm pretty sure most dissy's have carbine-length gas systems, so I believe it should be a .063" port.

mtdawg169
08-31-13, 14:35
I'm pretty sure most dissy's have carbine-length gas systems, so I believe it should be a .063" port.

My bad, I thought we were talking about using an actual rifle length gas system. Nevermind!

matthewdanger
08-31-13, 15:52
The Spike's GMP upper (the previously mentioned Spike's upper available only at AIM Surplus) has a lightweight barrel profile and mid-length gas. Mine has run well but it still has a relatively low round count (just over 600 rounds) so I can't really speak to reliability in any kind of long term way.

I like to have a fixed front sight base that is attached to the barrel if possible so it is a good fit for me. I put a Centurion Arms C4 12" Rail on it. It is a great setup.

The GMP's low profile gas block is pinned which is nice. I don't think the PSA gas blocks are pinned but I could be wrong on that.

RWH24
08-31-13, 19:05
Aim Surplus and Spike's Tactical have a exclusive at Aim Surplus.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5950MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+GMP

Barrel is certified MIL-B-11595E CMV, M4 barrel extension, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel, Phosphate finish.
Light-weight Contour barrel with pinned and melonited low profile mid-length gas system.
Barrel is Phosphate finished under the .625" F marked A2 front sight base with stainless steel plug set at the rifle length handguard position.

I had one of these briefly, so brief I never shot it. A guy thought it had a tacticool factor of WOW he paid and traded me out of it.
Had a Spike's complete lower with an A5 original SOPMOD and ALG/ACT trigger. It was a well balanced rifle and having the longer sight radius was nice with the TROY fixed rear sight. Really do miss that rifle, It was a low budget build. 2 pieces and snap snap.:happy:

eodcolret
09-01-13, 10:20
Believe CDNN had some Police trade in dissipator carbines for sale for $999. I deleted the email where the listed them but might be worth a call since the flyer was sent out on Friday 30 Aug. Might be worth your effort.

RWH24
09-01-13, 13:17
Believe CDNN had some Police trade in dissipator carbines for sale for $999. I deleted the email where the listed them but might be worth a call since the flyer was sent out on Friday 30 Aug. Might be worth your effort.
http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2013-1/index.html?page=4