PDA

View Full Version : S&W MP 15 OR Range Report

cessnapilot
04-15-08, 21:17
Purchased a NIB S&W MP 15 OR from a private individual , this is the flat top model with no front or rear sights The gun came with new Eotech , I paid 900.00 for it . Seemed like a pretty decent price , gun was nice and light so I bought it . Took the gun directly over to the indoor range with two boxes of UMC yellow box that were about 12 years old . Had two pmags with me along with the alum G.I mag that came with the weapon. I probablly had 10 or 12 jams trying to get the 40 rounds down range . This was using all three of the mags . Gun also was not holding the bolt open every time when the mags ran dry either . Obviously , I was very dissapointed . Every other AR -M4 that I've owned worked PERFECT right out of the box . All my other guns ate the UMC ammo like a fat kid going through a box of M&M's. I came home took the gun apart and it wasn't dry , there was some lube present . Not dripping but not dry either. Gun sure looked like it was going to work , but it didn't . On the positive side this thing with the Eotech is a total tackdriver , holding it down on a bench rest at 50 yards with that crappy ammo was getting groups that could almost be covered by a Kennedy half dollar. Of course this was when I could get some lead downrange . Gun is all cleaned up and lubed now, haven't had a chance to get back to the range though. Any thoughts from the experts would ge greatly appreicated thanks in advance for any advice .

TBomb
04-16-08, 08:11
Try shooting it with some not 12 year old ammo? When you say "jams" what do you mean, exactly? Stovepipe, failure to extract, failure to feed, double feed? Any elaboration you can give will help.

Shihan
04-16-08, 15:04
Send it back and they will fix it.

Eric
04-16-08, 18:09
Give it a proper clearing & lube (more is better than less, especially when new), then try different ammo.

TBomb
04-16-08, 22:06
Just to reiterate what I said earlier, and what others have said, try it with some good 5.56 NATO spec ammo and see what happens. Case in point: this afternoon I went out shooting with some co-workers. I have recently put an H2 buffer in my carbine (M&P 15T) and the first magazine I shot was loaded with M193 5.56. All 30 rounds fired with no problems, including some rapid 3 shot groups. Then I put in a magazine loaded with Wolf .223 to see how it worked with the new buffer. I fired a round, pulled the trigger a second time, and *click*. I pulled the magazine out, ran the charging handle, and no round was ejected. I checked the top round in the magazine and there was a scratch along the top where the bolt tried to pick up another round. I put the magazine back in and ran the charging handle to load another round. I fired one round and then *click* again. At this point I figured that the Wolf was probably too weak to run the H2 buffer, but I continued to shoot as best as I could. Throughout the rest of the magazine I experienced several bolt over base malfunctions and a couple of double feeds. I'll be putting the original buffer back in to see how it runs...I'm not expecting any issues with it since I've put a few hundred rounds through the gun with it (both M193 and Wolf) with no issues. Anyway, hope you get your problem solved!