PDA

View Full Version : So... Whats next?

VIP3R 237
08-01-13, 17:54
Today as I am sitting here browsing the threads a thought slowly started to creep in the back of my mind and continued to grow as the day went on.

Have we reached a point where the technology with the M4/M16/AR15 FOW has peaked?

In the last 10-15 years we have seen the evolution of this platform streamline itself to be the premier small arm platform in the world. It is light weight, modular, accurate, and reliable. With modern technology and the vast amount of information available it has been an exciting adventure. However in the last 3 or so years we have not seen very many advancements. Even the popularity of the external piston seems to have subsided. Sure newer stocks, hand guards, triggers, A5, ambi controls, etc. have come to the market, but there hasn't been any monumental changes. I feel as the industry has slowed down, even on this site I have noticed a regression of new threads.

So my questions is, What is next?

Koshinn
08-01-13, 18:04
Today as I am sitting here browsing the threads a thought slowly started to creep in the back of my mind and continued to grow as the day went on.

Have we reached a point where the technology with the M4/M16/AR15 FOW has peaked?

In the last 10-15 years we have seen the evolution of this platform streamline itself to be the premier small arm platform in the world. It is light weight, modular, accurate, and reliable. With modern technology and the vast amount of information available it has been an exciting adventure. However in the last 3 or so years we have not seen very many advancements. Even the popularity of the external piston seems to have subsided. Sure newer stocks, hand guards, triggers, A5, ambi controls, etc. have come to the market, but there hasn't been any monumental changes. I feel as the industry has slowed down, even on this site I have noticed a regression of new threads.

So my questions is, What is next?

New ammo (CTA), that's about it. There isn't a whole lot to improve on. Take a SR-15 E3 Mod1, add a raptor, pistol grip of choice, sling, light, laser, and a 1-6x and you're pretty much good to go. Effective from 2-500m, both day and night, with a light weight, reliable, accurate weapon with ambidextrous controls.

sinlessorrow
08-01-13, 18:37
Laser guns?

Small arms in general have plateaued. We have come to the point where as long as we are firing from brass cased ammunition we will only see very minor changes, and that will most likely come from hardware like optics, grips, rails, ect.

Ammo will be what really dictates what comes next.

Agnostic
08-01-13, 19:29
I agree with the prior responses. I think the next major change in firearms will be a new way to sling bullets (CTA, caseless, etc.). Not knowing the costs of these technologies, I just hope that when the shift from brass cases happens that it will eventually be affordable for a schmuck like me.

LoveAR
08-01-13, 19:37
Always fun to harass the noobs.

skijunkie55
08-01-13, 19:39
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Small_Arms_Technologies

Relevant?

levik97
08-01-13, 19:48
This is kind of similar to I thought I have been having this week. I've been wondering if the AR platform will be as popular as it is now in 10, 20, or 30 years? This not much more we can improve with them other than exploring new calibers and ammo types. Makes you wonder...

Levi

ginzomatic
08-01-13, 19:59
I think even though new and great weapons will be produced, all of us will swear by the AR for the rest of our lives. Case in point, I bought my old man an AR a few years ago for Christmas. He still swears by his M1. It's what he feels most confident with.

tog
08-01-13, 20:01
This is kind of similar to I thought I have been having this week. I've been wondering if the AR platform will be as popular as it is now in 10, 20, or 30 years? This not much more we can improve with them other than exploring new calibers and ammo types. Makes you wonder...

Levi

Are you guys longing for a: "phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range". Who doesen't like the M1 carbine, M1 garand, FAL, FN49, etc.? These and others have been around for ages and are still very much in demand. The M4 will be more popular than the above.

rubber ducky
08-01-13, 20:08
"phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range?"

ginzomatic
08-01-13, 20:10
"phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range?"

The Terminator

levik97
08-01-13, 20:26
I'm not saying I want anything else. I myself love AR-15s, M1s, M14s, and 1911s. I have simply wondered if in the future the AR platform will be so popular. This week when I get paid I'm ordering a BCM upper and I will be getting an LMT lower next month but just because I love ARs doesn't mean everyone else will in 30 years. I see where you are coming from though and it is a very valid opinion which I hope ends up being right.

Levi

Tzed250
08-01-13, 20:34
I'm probably wrong, but the AR/M-16 FOW may be the last great service weapon to make it into civilian hands in great numbers. I was brought up shooting '03s, M1s, M1 carbines, the AR-180, and the M1A/M14. My first time shooting the AR/M-16 platform was during the Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry in 1978. It was an M-16 with the FA disabled. It felt clunky compared to the Springfield M1A I was used to shooting. It even said Mattel on the stock, but for a 14 year old it was still cool to shoot.

Fast forward a few years and the Army decided that it would get behind the AR for service rifle competition. The next thing you know the AR was a winner and the civilian market for the AR as a competition rifle exploded.

My point to all of this is will we see another service rifle make its way from the battlefield to Main St. USA again? The M1 Garand and M1 Carbine were the last of the surplus rifles to be offered to the public. We have Colt to thank for making the AR-15 available to the public. I would like to think that it may happen again. Only time will tell.

sinlessorrow
08-01-13, 20:36
Almost forgot.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/f/f1/Pulse_Rifle-1-.jpg
10mm caseless u-stack magazine fed rifle with underbarrel shotgun.

Until we move past brass cased ammo dont expect to see much else. Every gun maker has hit a wall in terms of small arms. At lesst when confined to brass cased ammo.

LoveAR
08-01-13, 21:00
I think even though new and great weapons will be produced, all of us will swear by the AR for the rest of our lives. Case in point, I bought my old man an AR a few years ago for Christmas. He still swears by his M1. It's what he feels most confident with.

This will be me.

samuse
08-01-13, 21:17
We may very well be the old guys who shoot all wrong and use those old, antiqey ARs just because they're slim, have sweet single action triggers and we like that they're made of metal.:rolleyes:

That is, if we live to be old enough to see the next big thing...

Tzook
08-01-13, 22:58
I think caseless ammunition is the future, but were clearly a few years away from making any giant advancements in that regard

jbo723
08-01-13, 22:58
Ironman suits will be the next fielded and us lowly civilians will have nothing more than out shoulder fired small arms for eternity :jester:

uffdaphil
08-01-13, 23:26
I'm thinking peripherals still have a ways to go for the AR platform. First probably thermal advances bringing the price way down, and eventually computer diagnosed target location using sound, movement, chemical, density and who knows what other sensors. Facial recognition in another generation or two could have some nasty implications.

I'm kinda hoping not to see man portable rail guns in my lifetime, but not optimistic.

HELLSING
08-01-13, 23:32

We build the ED-209 and take over the world.

levik97
08-01-13, 23:56

We build the ED-209 and take over the world.

I like the way think! Lol

Levi

Koshinn
08-02-13, 04:24
I'm thinking peripherals still have a ways to go for the AR platform. First probably thermal advances bringing the price way down, and eventually computer diagnosed target location using sound, movement, chemical, density and who knows what other sensors. Facial recognition in another generation or two could have some nasty implications.

I'm kinda hoping not to see man portable rail guns in my lifetime, but not optimistic.

Interesting you mention that. My friend from undergrad made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TWeJsaCiGQ0

Just needs bigger scale!

uffdaphil
08-02-13, 07:02
Wow! And the construction of of that prototype looks so ripe for miniaturization. Not only man portable in my lifetime, but concealable rail guns. Won't need suppressors for those. How about a muzzle velocity dial? Multible caliber magazines for dilating mag-lev bores?

And when they get cheap enough we'll have drone versions built into every public CCTV cam and the NSA will hear criticism no more. Interesting times ahead.

Arrrgh. Not enough sleep. I needs my coffee.

sr71plane
08-02-13, 07:42
Bullpup style platforms are making major inroads. I think you will see improvements on them just like we have seen on the AR platform over the coming years.

ALCOAR
08-02-13, 07:49
I personally believe that the evolution of the AR pattern rifle is a long, long way from being finished. Just within the last 2-3yrs we've seen AR controls become seamlessly ambidextrous, along with being significantly faster to manipulate, and overall much more user friendly ( think..BAD-ASS ST selectors, and fully ambi lowers like the IWS, and ATXS).

In terms of AR manufacturers....LMT, and KAC will not only continue to build hard use rifles built properly to spec like colt, DD, BCM, noveske, etc. does, but equally as important they'll continue to push the envelope to the very edges. LMT's MRP/MWS design in 2004, and KAC's SR-15 IWS/E3 design in 2008 are imho the biggest innovations on the AR design since perhaps Eugene Stoner drew up the design at the end of the 1950's. As long as Karl Lewis, and C. Reed Knight Jr are around, we'll see innovation within the AR FOW.

In terms of AR kit manufacturers....Geissele, Magpul, and BAD Inc. will no doubt continue to drive innovation through their excellent various pieces of kit. Bill Geissele is truly an engineering, and design savant, and imho there isn't a more exciting player in the AR game than Geissele Automatics in terms of the future.

Failure2Stop
08-02-13, 10:35
Just because the M4 is the benchmark does not mean that it is the pinnacle of small arms development (or even for just 5.56mm individual weapons). What makes the M4 stand above the rest is ergonomics (as long as you're a righty), modularity, and above all: testing.

Things that I consider to need improvement:

Buttstock. The whole receiver end-plate/endplate retainer nut/receiver extension is a cludgy Rube Goldberg. A dedicated design to give the user a good collapsible stock is past due. I think that the closest that I have seen is the UBR, but some weight needs to be lost. Further, it would be a definite advantage to have folding capability, but that pushes into another aspect:

Operating system. No, this isn't a "DI" vs "Piston" thing, but rather a look into what is actually happening inside the weapon to preserve the recoil profile of the "DI" system, but with upper-receiver encapsulated operating parts to enable a folding stock, specifically one that can be folded and still permit firing.

Relocation of CH. It's at a place that makes use more difficult. Placement/style of FAL is pretty good. Needs to be non-reciprocating but able to be used as a forward assist. While the FA is not frequently needed, there are times that it is.

Full/true ambidexterity and modularity of control parts.

sinlessorrow
08-02-13, 11:02
Just because the M4 is the benchmark does not mean that it is the pinnacle of small arms development (or even for just 5.56mm individual weapons). What makes the M4 stand above the rest is ergonomics (as long as you're a righty), modularity, and above all: testing.

Things that I consider to need improvement:

Buttstock. The whole receiver end-plate/endplate retainer nut/receiver extension is a cludgy Rube Goldberg. A dedicated design to give the user a good collapsible stock is past due. I think that the closest that I have seen is the UBR, but some weight needs to be lost. Further, it would be a definite advantage to have folding capability, but that pushes into another aspect:

Operating system. No, this isn't a "DI" vs "Piston" thing, but rather a look into what is actually happening inside the weapon to preserve the recoil profile of the "DI" system, but with upper-receiver encapsulated operating parts to enable a folding stock, specifically one that can be folded and still permit firing.

Relocation of CH. It's at a place that makes use more difficult. Placement/style of FAL is pretty good. Needs to be non-reciprocating but able to be used as a forward assist. While the FA is not frequently needed, there are times that it is.

Full/true ambidexterity and modularity of control parts.

All nice things, but in the end they are still not revolutionary and none are leaps and bounds better than the current system. We have still hit a wall in terms of small arms development outside of ergonomics.

Until a new round comes along, or we find a way to make a portable super strong power source the only changes we will see in small arms will be in ergos.

tog
08-02-13, 11:09
Do any of you think the so called "bullpup" configuration will ever catch on in America? I have a hard time accepting that style of rifle. Of course I had a tough time accepting the M4.

sinlessorrow
08-02-13, 11:23
Do any of you think the so called "bullpup" configuration will ever catch on in America? I have a hard time accepting that style of rifle. Of course I had a tough time accepting the M4.

If they can build one that has none of the bullpup cons maybe.

Koshinn
08-02-13, 11:36
If they can build one that has none of the bullpup cons maybe.

The cons of a bullpup are inherent to the definition of a bullpup.

sinlessorrow
08-02-13, 11:37
The cons of a bullpup are inherent to the definition of a bullpup.

Well I know that.:D

.46caliber
08-02-13, 11:51

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

I think it could, but I also think it will have to match the AR's modularity, dependability and it might need some Armed Forces adoption before it really catches.

On paper, the Tavor looks like a bullpup that will be better received in the US than the others thus far. I think there's some room to play with bullpup platform a little bit. But I agree that there's only so much that can be done with brass case.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Army Chief
08-02-13, 11:52
I do like the idea of a viable (ergonomic, ambidextrous, proper trigger) bullpup, though you would almost have to call the format something else entirely these days in order to get anyone to seriously consider it, given that the word itself has become a near-synonym for "compromise." A cool compromise, in many cases, but still not the first thing you will reach for when a long arm is called-for.

Fanciful dreams aside, the Magpul PDR concept seemed to offer something useful and innovative. Small form factor, fast-handling, ease-of-operation (theoretically) and a full-power cartridge. Would have been nice to see the KAC PDW go mainstream as well, but in the present environment, the associated ammo issues would be limiting, to say the least.

Have focused largely on smaller packages here, but to my mind this remains an underdeveloped area; especially for the kinds of defensive applications that seem most relevant to most current and would-be carbine users.

We've already learned how to make very capable rifles that can handle the distance work in the larger chamberings. New platforms there would seem to be redundant. What we don't seem to have are the PDW/Honey Badger/PDR class guns that might provide more than a handgun has to offer when less than a full-on carbine is really what's needed. Then again, I have an admittedly-strong penchant for small guns that fire big rounds, and that may be coloring my views.

AC

Biggy
08-02-13, 12:40
If they could get the price reasonable on them, this barrel making technology might be an advancement for some applications.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/396.php

trinydex
08-02-13, 12:42
i wish there were a way for ambidextrous lowers to be massively adapted.

Grand58742
08-02-13, 13:08
For me, the next big step would be a fully modular rifle that has a common receiver that not only can serve as a infantry rifle/carbine, but as a PDW, LMG (to potentially include belt feeding), DMR and into the sniper rifle realm. And be compatible across the board with current and future standard ammo selections up to and including 5.56, 9mm, .45 and 7.62.

And all this could be done with basic parts interchanged by the lowest Private, Airman or Sailor. No armorers or depot level stuff. Basic upper receiver swaps with return to zero guaranteed.

I look at the Colt 901 not as much as a neat rifle that has potential to interchange calibers, but more of a proof of concept and a base to expand on. It could be continually developed to become a contender to replace the M4 if it was worked right.

Failure2Stop
08-02-13, 14:55
All nice things, but in the end they are still not revolutionary and none are leaps and bounds better than the current system. We have still hit a wall in terms of small arms development outside of ergonomics.

Until a new round comes along, or we find a way to make a portable super strong power source the only changes we will see in small arms will be in ergos.

I fundamentally agree with you.
I cede that my points are not revolutionary, as I was more pointing out that we really haven't hit that optimal blend yet with what we have.

sinlessorrow
08-02-13, 15:07
I fundamentally agree with you.
I cede that my points are not revolutionary, as I was more pointing out that we really haven't hit that optimal blend yet with what we have.

I agree. I have some designs of weapons that fully encase the operating parts inside the upper, retain the stoner operating system, and have alot of those feel good features, but outside of autoscad they will never go anywhere sadly.

But the designs still only offer better ergonomics and nothing truly better, but seeing them come to fruition woukd be cool. Maybe ill get a 3d pronter one day :)

tog
08-02-13, 15:23

IIRC there was plenty of research back in the 70's, 80's on new rounds. One in particular was the caseless round. Seems H&K had a bullpup designed for this round (G11?). It was the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time and then, nothing. The project seemed to have died a fast death. There were probably many bugs to work out with this kind of tech-heat for one, as nitrocellulose can be formed into shapes, but likes to burn when heated. I too think any new firearms developements will have to consider propellent chemistry or like others have pointed out, the rail gun tech.

themighty9mm
08-02-13, 16:06
As has been said. As long as ammunition is what it is, I don't think we will see major inovations. Lighter weight materials, and improved accessories, will most likely be the big ones. It works, and when something works and has been tested as much as the AR. It makes it somewhat hard, to come up with both something that works better, and is cost effective.

Things like LSAT are a step in the right direction. But with lsat I personally do not see it going anywhere beyond testing. Right idea, wrong execution. Heck, they are still trying to improve on current 5.56 (m855a1) and that has been many years in the making.

sr71plane
08-02-13, 16:27
I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

I think it could, but I also think it will have to match the AR's modularity, dependability and it might need some Armed Forces adoption before it really catches.

The QBZ-95 bullpup is being adopted by one of the largest armed forces in the world right now...........the Chinese. At the last big gun show in my town, I was amazed at all the bullpup configurations. Big bore bolt actions, pump and semi auto shotguns, Keltec's RFB, the Tavors, two new AUG variations, strange looking Saiga 12 bullpups, kits that turn 22's into bullpups and others that I still have not seen.

I realize that with bullpups there seems to be no in between. You either love em' or hate em'. I fall into the first catagory. But you have to agree.........they are more popular now then they have ever been and the shooting public (and militaries) are starting to see their unique advantages.

sinlessorrow
08-02-13, 16:38
The QBZ-95 bullpup is being adopted by one of the largest armed forces in the world right now...........the Chinese. At the last big gun show in my town, I was amazed at all the bullpup configurations. Big bore bolt actions, pump and semi auto shotguns, Keltec's RFB, the Tavors, two new AUG variations, strange looking Saiga 12 bullpups, kits that turn 22's into bullpups and others that I still have not seen.

I realize that with bullpups there seems to be no in between. You either love em' or hate em'. I fall into the first catagory. But you have to agree.........they are more popular now then they have ever been and the shooting public (and militaries) are starting to see their unique advantages.

Yet the chinese SF use M4's......or well M4 clones.

DocH
08-02-13, 17:28
Got to thinking(wow,a new revelation) on the subject of caseless ammo. If we're talking conventional projectiles here rather that something from Star wars,there would still have to be a propellant. Without a case the propellant would have to be something entirely new,or if using a conventional powder it would have to be tightly bonded together in some way.and very hard.
I suppose a primer could imbed in the concoction,but where would the primer go upon firing? All of the propellant would have to burn thoroughly to avoid any buildup that could increase pressures to dangerous levels.
A mixture that could be fired electrically without a conventional primer would make the most sense. The developement and research would take so long that we would probably never live to see it.
Then there are the years that it would take to prove the weapon system reliable. The time it has taken since Vietnam to improve on the AR type platform to the point where it is America's gun is a perfect example. Hmm.All this thinkin' that I ain't used to has made me tired.I think I'll stick to my Colts and take a nap.:D

skijunkie55
08-02-13, 17:33
On the subject of caseless ammo...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G11

Whatever happened to the H&K G11?

Edit*
Answered my own question...

Military LSAT program
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSAT_light_machine_gun

SteveS
08-02-13, 17:40
It would be hard to say. What is wrong with the [M4] AR? Fairly reliable and low cost! It is not keeping people from signing up to their favorite branch of the military.... I will say the AR hasn't changed much from its basic design which says how good the design is.. Improved yes maybe even perfected. Seems the other designs that have tried to replace the AR [M4] haven't really been enough of an improvement to make the change. For example the FN SCAR in 5.56 isn't enough of an improvement for me to change . But a FN SCAR in 308 would be an improvement over the M14 [maybe]

SteveS
08-02-13, 17:53

I realize that with bullpups there seems to be no in between. You either love em' or hate em'. I fall into the first catagory. But you have to agree.........they are more popular now then they have ever been and the shooting public (and militaries) are starting to see their unique advantages. Like them or hate them they have their uses. Compact!!

Boba Fett v2
08-02-13, 17:59
Take a SR-15 E3 Mod1, add a raptor, pistol grip of choice, sling, light, laser, and a 1-6x and you're pretty much good to go. Effective from 2-500m, both day and night, with a light weight, reliable, accurate weapon with ambidextrous controls.

Yep. Pretty much.

Aside from ergonomics and aesthetics, we've seen an evolution of the platform with regards to different materials being used, from titanium to carbon fiber. Subsequently, an evolution in the manufacturing process as well. We've succeeded in squeezing as much accuracy as we can out of the platform, but have we really reached the limits on what we could achieve in terms of durability/reliability? The quality of individual parts are certainly there, and there are manufactures who do not cut corners when it comes to QC. I'd like to see a wide adaptation of KAC's E3 bolt system and LMT's monolithic upper receivers with interchangeable barrel capability, as well as ambidextrous controls being the standard among the top tier manufactures. While I do not doubt the AR platform will achieve venerable legendary status (if not already there) I think we will continue to see it evolve incrementally for a few more years. Perhaps we'll see lightweight integrated optics being the next thing - definitely must be more compact and lightweight than the OICW concept. Imagine an AR with a built in sighting system cable of 1-6x magnification, with 800 meter ranging capability, and an illuminated reticle without the use of batteries, but as compact and fast as an Aimpoint H1/T1. ---> Yeah, they're called iron sights. Lol

tog
08-02-13, 19:36
On the subject of caseless ammo...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G11

Whatever happened to the H&K G11?

Edit*
Answered my own question...

Military LSAT program
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSAT_light_machine_gun

Yes, that is it. Might as well add this too: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caseless_ammunition

MountainRaven
08-02-13, 21:11
Yet the chinese SF use M4's......or well M4 clones.

Or they just want us to think that they do. Or they just use them abroad due to parts commonality and ammunition availability outside the People's Republic.

Although I suppose they might have a PRCAR-15 in 5.8x42mm (maybe even taking QBZ-95 magazines) for actual use.

sinlessorrow
08-02-13, 21:20
Or they just want us to think that they do. Or they just use them abroad due to parts commonality and ammunition availability outside the People's Republic.

Although I suppose they might have a PRCAR-15 in 5.8x42mm (maybe even taking QBZ-95 magazines) for actual use.

Really? They have been seen using them, and they are not American made ones, but Chinese made M4A1's.

K.L. Davis
08-02-13, 22:30
Someone may have already mentioned this... if so, pardon the duplicity.

One issue with caseless ammo, as a weapon designer, is that as anyone that has ever taken an ejected case down the front of your shirt knows... each expended case takes with it a great deal of heat from the weapon; they are like litte disposable heat sinks.

If you eliminate the cases removing the heat, you still have to deal with how to get rid of that heat.

sinlessorrow
08-03-13, 00:03
Someone may have already mentioned this... if so, pardon the duplicity.

One issue with caseless ammo, as a weapon designer, is that as anyone that has ever taken an ejected case down the front of your shirt knows... each expended case takes with it a great deal of heat from the weapon; they are like litte disposable heat sinks.

If you eliminate the cases removing the heat, you still have to deal with how to get rid of that heat.

I have heard this, I also wonder just how they work suppressed which is a big part of the special forces side of things.

Not to mention the action seems complicated and bulky for a carbine, LMG? sure, but a carbine not so much.

JusticeM4
08-03-13, 01:25
My opinion only, nothing else revolutionary will come out of the current M4/AR15 platform without a new type of ammunition as many have previously mentioned.

Look at the current tire design for comparison; we are still using the same concept for what, more than a century now? Unless it is completely revolutionalized (like air-less run-flat type rubber which have already come out as prototypes) and adopted by all major car and tire manufacturers, we will still have the same tire with minimal improvements within the next decade or so.

To me, newer rifles like the SCAR16/17 and Bushmaster ACR are the way to go. Heck even the Kriss Vector subgun in a rifle caliber with improved ergos and overall function might be a different but interesting option. Bullpups like the Tavor are nice and all, but unless it is adopted and fielded by the US Mil as well it will never come into majority acceptance as M4's did. Just my 2c...

DocH
08-03-13, 11:07
After reading the provided links,it appears the caseless technology is a little more advanced than I thought. Still think we have a ways to go yet,though. Thanks for the links.Interesting.

tog
08-03-13, 11:53
My opinion only, nothing else revolutionary will come out of the current M4/AR15 platform without a new type of ammunition as many have previously mentioned.

Look at the current tire design for comparison; we are still using the same concept for what, more than a century now? Unless it is completely revolutionalized (like air-less run-flat type rubber which have already come out as prototypes) and adopted by all major car and tire manufacturers, we will still have the same tire with minimal improvements within the next decade or so.

To me, newer rifles like the SCAR16/17 and Bushmaster ACR are the way to go. Heck even the Kriss Vector subgun in a rifle caliber with improved ergos and overall function might be a different but interesting option. Bullpups like the Tavor are nice and all, but unless it is adopted and fielded by the US Mil as well it will never come into majority acceptance as M4's did. Just my 2c...

We have also been using the same propellants in our cases for the last 100 years-nitrocellulose based. I think the next big thing in firearms developement will be other chemicals used that will give the same pressures but using much smaller quanities. This will allow for case reduction and maybe even polymer cases. Also, don't forget that polymers have come a long ways in the last few years. They are finding much use in the aerospace industry. They are starting to be used more in firearms and one of these days some company will get it right (do for rifles what Glock did for handguns).

sr71plane
08-03-13, 15:03
Also, don't forget that polymers have come a long ways in the last few years. They are finding much use in the aerospace industry. They are starting to be used more in firearms and one of these days some company will get it right (do for rifles what Glock did for handguns).

I find it fascinating that Glock was not the first polymer framed pistol. It was the H&K VP 70. I guess you could say that Glock's timing was better. (many would say the pistol too) I also remember when Interarms first imported the A1 AUG's. Most freaked out over the use of polymers........even in the trigger and hammer pack.

Agnostic
08-03-13, 16:32
I have a feeling that material selection will be a big deal going forward. Not just polymers, but also new metal alloys. As long as strength and reliability aren't affected, I am all for it.

I personally would like to see a elegant, robust, reliable way to run longer VLDs in the platform without hand feeding. And, I'd also like to see the use of new materials to make accurized rifles and optics lighter without sacrificing strength, accuracy, and reliability.

But, going by my own idea of revolutionary, the next step seems to be a new way to propel projectiles.