PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in the firearms industry

Armati
08-01-13, 20:48
Gents, I am making preparations for starting my next career. I would like to work specifically in the commercial firearms industry but I am also prepared to work in the defense industry in general. I am starting an engineering program and I believe I will be working toward a degree in mechanical engineering.

I would like some input from some of our guy in the industry. Is there anything in particular I should be working on?

AMMOTECH
08-01-13, 21:19
Take a look at this job description for a Manufacturing Engineer at FN and see where you stand at this point:

Manufacturing Engr (Barrels)
This is an opportunity for an experienced, hands-on Manufacturing Engineer with demonstrated knowledge of mechanical systems. The incumbent calculates production, labor, and material costs; reviews production schedules, and estimates future capital requirements. In this role, the Manufacturing Engineer will industrialize new and existing products on rotary forges and broaches, identify new manufacturing technologies appropriate to support lead time and cost reductions, and support the overall Lean and Continuous Improvement initiatives. Skills 1. Good written and verbal communication 2. Strong mechanical aptitude 3. Strong analytical skills 4. Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple projects 5. Ability to work in a team environment 6. Project Management Education and Qualification 1. Bachelor of Science or Technology degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering 2. Proficient with Microsoft Office 3. ProE and AutoCAD proficiency desired 4. Experience with rotary forges and broaches desired 5. Experience implementing processes with Robotics and PLCs desired 6. Three years ME Experience

http://www.fnmfg.com/careers/

This may or may not be the answer but I hope it helps a little.