PDA

View Full Version : C91

Duke 6
08-02-13, 12:45
Anyone had experience with the C91? Picked this one up for $600 last week. I bought it because I had not seen one with the HK stock. I did put 40 rounds through it this past week and it shot like a charm, loud with a kick.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh575/mikeduke6/Image_zpsb2c266b7.jpg

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh575/mikeduke6/Image1_zps02a6806a.jpg

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh575/mikeduke6/Image1_zpse309d3a0.jpg

SteyrAUG
08-02-13, 18:46
Made during the ban with a non factory spec receiver (could be worse, could be the aluminum one with a rail), militarily retired parts kit in fair to poor condition and some of the worst pot metal 922r compliance parts known to man all cobbled together by incompetent morons who have difficulty figuring out how a banana works.

At some point somebody replaced the parts kit fixed stock with a surplus sliding stock which at one time were coming in at around $69 in fairly abused condition.

When they were being made they sold for about $200, when parts kits with original barrels dried up they began selling for around $400. Your barrel is probably pretty well spent, but at least it's a factory barrel and not a bottom grade US compliance barrel

KalashniKEV
08-03-13, 10:49
I've never seen prices quite that low...

OP, I would:

1) Assess barrel condition, count the flutes to see if it's HK spec or "other."

2) Check the bolt gap.

3) Put a few hundred rounds through it and assess it's accuracy and reliability.

Spooky130
08-03-13, 11:00
Made during the ban with a non factory spec receiver (could be worse, could be the aluminum one with a rail), militarily retired parts kit in fair to poor condition and some of the worst pot metal 922r compliance parts known to man all cobbled together by incompetent morons who have difficulty figuring out how a banana works.

You really shouldn't sugar coat it...

All I know is the -91 series 7.62 guns have the most recoil of the 7.62 battle rifles I've had some time behind.

SteyrAUG
08-03-13, 15:15
I've never seen prices quite that low...

OP, I would:

1) Assess barrel condition, count the flutes to see if it's HK spec or "other."

2) Check the bolt gap.

3) Put a few hundred rounds through it and assess it's accuracy and reliability.

Given the muzzle brake and lack of grenade launching rings it is almost a certainty that the barrel is original. Back then original barrels (especially in conditions used by CAI) were everywhere. I think only Special Weapons and Hesse were using US made barrels during the ban.

Besides bolt gap, these suffer from a "shop assembly" issue where you have to get the barrel trunnion, cocking tube and receiver to all line up correctly and straight when you do the welds. Without HK tooling, presses and with the variations in a non spec receiver this can be difficult for even a talented gunsmith. That is why Pakistan has a HK contract factory and doesn't try to build them in smith shops like an AK.

With PTRs (which have a few of their own issues) selling for $999 prior to Sandy Hook the CAI clones had a very definite price limit. Once PTRs are readily available again and in stock for $999 any CAI 91 clone will return to it's depressed value.

SteyrAUG
08-03-13, 15:24
Less than exciting information aside, welcome to the forum.

If it makes you feel better, a lot of us started out with guns like this and moved on to better things. The good news is there will always be somebody new with $400 who thinks it looks awesome.

My advice would be to retain it until PTRs are again available and affordable, put the C91 on Gunbroker at $1 start and apply the sale price towards a PTR.

I would also start grabbing G3 mags right now. Should be able to find factory new ones in the $5 range now that the Sandy Hood nonsense is calming down. The country is still flooded with them and they just aren't in the same demand as AR magazines.

But the day will come when they will dry up and just like those East German AK-74 magazines that used to be $5 brand new only 10 years ago you will wish you had bought a couple dozen more.

You also might consider buying a used fixed stock and selling the CAI 91 in that configuration. Even though your para stock is probably 60s vintage and has seen quite a bit of use, they just aren't $70 anymore. You could probably get $150 for it alone on Gunbroker or just keep it as an option for your PTR.

BUBBAGUNS
08-03-13, 19:54
I bought a PTR military model (black), last month from CDNN for $999. I also have a c91 I bought in the mid 90's. The c91 shoots good but The buttcap is extremely thight. A pain to remove.

Don Robison
08-03-13, 20:05
With PTRs (which have a few of their own issues) selling for $999 prior to Sandy Hook the CAI clones had a very definite price limit. Once PTRs are readily available again and in stock for $999 any CAI 91 clone will return to it's depressed value.

The GI models are fairly plentiful right now. Seems like every shop around here as a 3-4 of them. I bought one a couple of weeks ago at a local shop for $1070 out the door.

Phlipper
08-05-13, 19:45
Some advice ....

Before you shoot it again, have a competent and H&K knowledgeable smith check your headspace, bolt, and barrel. They can be fun weapons for plinking, but the weight, recoil, ergos, trigger, etc. was a turn-off for me. Long, long ago I had the dubious honor of carrying a real G-3 under fire. Didn't care for it then, didn't like owning and shooting the demilled 91 recently. But that's just me, and you may love it. Just please get it checked out though.

SteyrAUG
08-06-13, 18:57
Some advice ....

Before you shoot it again, have a competent and H&K knowledgeable smith check your headspace, bolt, and barrel. They can be fun weapons for plinking, but the weight, recoil, ergos, trigger, etc. was a turn-off for me. Long, long ago I had the dubious honor of carrying a real G-3 under fire. Didn't care for it then, didn't like owning and shooting the demilled 91 recently. But that's just me, and you may love it. Just please get it checked out though.

Having some experience with the M-14, FAL and G3 select fire rifles, I'd take the G3 every time.