PDA

View Full Version : My first Glock, 20SF picked up yesterday

maw1777
08-03-13, 01:40
I am a Beretta guy even now i wish that the 96 or M9 would come in a 10mm with 40sw barrels. I just drool over them.

My first impressions of the Glock, after being a long-time glock hater, are positive. I like how simple it is and how easily upgrade-able they are.

I ordered a SS guide ride and 20# spring kit from GlockMeister. I already swapped it in place of the factory set.

The magazines are unimpressive, the materials seem cheap-ish. The Grip is okay I think i want to get a gripmaster or something.

Still with 15 rounds of 10mm I literally have Revolver power coming out of the barrel like a laser gun hahaha, So I can't complain. It is amazing putting 15 10mm's in a flush fitting magazine. 165 grain TMJ Underwood 1400 fps are my first loads.

I am going to shoot 100 through the G20 Sunday.

http://imageshack.us/a/img268/2091/zb05.jpg

Any advice on grips, sights or anything else you guys think of feel free to post.

Plumber237
08-03-13, 05:17
Congrats on the new glock! Probably the best perk of owning one is that nearly any company that makes a pistol related product makes it for glock. As far as sights, depending on what you're looking for, the Trijicon HD's are my personal favorite for a defensive handgun. They're 3-dot tritium night sights, rear sight is all black with a rounded notch, and the front is a bright ring (orange or yellow) around the tritium insert. I've found them to be very fast for transitioning from target to target, it's tough to miss the bright dot in daylight and the wider rear notch seems to make it easier to find your next target. They run about $120, but in my opinion they're worth it.

Ryno12
08-03-13, 06:31
I ordered a SS guide ride and 20# spring kit from GlockMeister. I already swapped it in place of the factory set.

I am going to shoot 100 through the G20 Sunday.

Any advice on grips, sights or anything else you guys think of feel free to post.

So you swapped the guide rod & recoil spring BEFORE you fired the gun?? :confused:

Why is that?

You know you should shoot the weapon first, evaluate its performance, then make any modifications that you see fit.

Sent via Tapatalk

dash1
08-03-13, 06:45
I use TruGrip tape on my Glock. It'll last about a year before it needs to be replaced. YMMV.

The magazines are very strong, nothing to worry about. I recommend getting a channel insert for the grip.

maw1777
08-03-13, 06:48
What is that grip insert for?

maw1777
08-03-13, 06:49
So you swapped the guide rod & recoil spring BEFORE you fired the gun?? :confused:

Why is that?

You know you should shoot the weapon first, evaluate its performance, then make any modifications that you see fit.

Sent via Tapatalk

10mm needs heavier springs than factory. The factory is set for mild loads

Ryno12
08-03-13, 06:58

...and you determined that from shooting the gun first? You state that as fact yet you haven't shot the gun. There are many people quite satisfied with shooting hotter loads with a stock set up.

Sent via Tapatalk

dash1
08-03-13, 07:20
What is that grip insert for?

It fills in the hollow part of the grip bottom, behind the magazine well and the back strap. It helps with inserting the magazine, keeps it from snagging. It also was designed to keep dirt and debris out of the channel, where it could possibly reach the trigger mechanism.

maw1777
08-03-13, 08:06
Interesting. My favorite grips are HK USP tacticals and Beretta PX4's

Any grips that would give me a similar feel? I am looking at grip force, i kind of want something more rugged if they only last a year.

Check it out, looks great with my new special edition Blur. I got the Blur as a birthday present!

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/5350/qzuj.jpg

5.56Geo
08-03-13, 10:03
Wow, nice Glock. I didn't know that they made the 20sf in OD!!:eek: I have a 20sf that I took shooting yesterday for the first time. I am developing some hunting hand loads. The Glock 20sf is just an awesome gun especially if you reload. The only upgrades I made to my Glock are Talon grips and Warren Tactical FO sights. They seemed to work well with me. Here is a picture of my mighty 20sf 10mm Glock.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/turbogeo/G20sf1_zps3607bc53.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/turbogeo/media/G20sf1_zps3607bc53.jpg.html)

maw1777
08-03-13, 10:25
Wow, nice Glock. I didn't know that they made the 20sf in OD!!:eek: I have a 20sf that I took shooting yesterday for the first time. I am developing some hunting hand loads. The Glock 20sf is just an awesome gun especially if you reload. The only upgrades I made to my Glock are Talon grips and Warren Tactical FO sights. They seemed to work well with me. Here is a picture of my mighty 20sf 10mm Glock.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/turbogeo/G20sf1_zps3607bc53.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/turbogeo/media/G20sf1_zps3607bc53.jpg.html)

I might try those grips and sights then. Have you shot hot loads with factory spring? I'm telling you man 10mm is making a huge comeback. Now that technology has advanced and auto loaders are better equipped to handle it.

Double3
08-03-13, 10:32
I'm going to get a G20 someday.

Don't need one at all but I always thought it would be cool to have.

Frailer
08-03-13, 11:25
...The magazines are unimpressive, the materials seem cheap-ish...

Appearances can be deceiving.

Glock OEM magazines work, and work well.

Trajan
08-03-13, 11:47
I might try those grips and sights then. Have you shot hot loads with factory spring? I'm telling you man 10mm is making a huge comeback. Now that technology has advanced and auto loaders are better equipped to handle it.

Does anyone even make a .40/10mm JHP designed for 10mm velocities? All I have ever seen was guys loading JHPs that were designed for .40S&W velocities at 10mm loadings.

ST911
08-03-13, 12:07

maw1777- Look for threads with "glock new upgrade sights grip." Lots of those have been gone over in detail, some with photos and reviews.

You'll find the general consensus with the Glock is to get sights to your liking, more ammo and mags, and shoot the gun.

Heavier springs in your G20 are of dubious benefit. You will invite new functional variables and tolerances to stack for no useful outcome. There are folks shooting some serious 10mm loadings without ill effect.

There's nothing wrong with your magazines. It will just take some getting used to for you. If you just fill them, shoot them, drop them, and repeat the process you'll get over it quickly.

If you use adhesive grip additions, plan for them to shift and peel.

ccosby
08-03-13, 12:58
Enjoy the glock. I will say I've had a 20fs for years and shoot the heavy loads with the stock springs. Works fine. When I got mine the sf version wasn't out yet. Just haven't brought myself to upgrading to it.

PA PATRIOT
08-03-13, 15:49
Have a Glock 10mm and shot some stoked loads out of her over the years. The only thing I would recommend is to put a decent set of sights on her and swap out the recoil spring every 1000rds of factory ammunition or 500rds of hot reloads to help protect the frame from undue stress. Can the factory springs take more then the above and cycle fine, most likely. But for $7.99 each I can order a bunch from Midway and replace them at will and have no worries.

Also just use a piece of bike tire rubber inner tube on the grip 1 7/8" seems to work just fine.

jcshelto
08-04-13, 13:50
That is gorgeous. I didn't know they made a 20SF in FDE. My 20SF is my favorite pistol; it is absolutely my "go to" gun for virtually every situation.

I shoot some pretty hot loads through mine (my own reloads and Underwood). I did that for quite a while before moving to a stronger (20lb) recoil spring. I have no doubts the gun, with the stock recoil spring, can handle it, but brass practically entered orbit, and I could almost feel the wear on the frame with some of the hotter loads.

I have never had any issues with "Glock smiles" or any serious indications of overpressure or mechanical failure in the stock config.

filthy phil
08-04-13, 14:36

My stock gen 4 has performed flawless with everything from the 40 powered off the shelf stuff to underwood 200 xtp.
Including 2 or 3 buffalo bore loads.

http://i.imgur.com/8VfEc3w.jpg

maw1777
08-04-13, 15:34
Range Report with Glockmeister 20# spring assembly SS. Underwood 165 TMJ 1400 fps.

Shot 80 rounds through it flawless. The stock sights are not that precise but fast. Recoil wasn't much more than a 357 SIG. Very manageable. I filmed myself doing a mag dump. You can tell recoil isn't bad if your grip is right. None of that dumb ass finger over trigger guard or tea cup stuff then the gun will flip out! Lol. I would not recommend for beginners obviously they start with 9.

Video incoming after upload

maw1777
08-04-13, 20:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob4T7d8G2Vk&feature=youtu.be

RagweedZulu
08-05-13, 14:15
I shoot my 20SF with hot hand loads. Factory spring. Have been using this setup for almost two years. No wear whatsoever to the frame.

Get steel or night sights and then shoot away. People too often get sucked into "upgrading" their Glocks when the stock pistol runs perfectly. In my limited experience, aftermarket parts (not sights) ALWAYS make your 100% reliable Glock less reliable.

Vendetta
08-05-13, 16:00
I shoot my 20SF with hot hand loads. Factory spring. Have been using this setup for almost two years. No wear whatsoever to the frame.

Get steel or night sights and then shoot away. People too often get sucked into "upgrading" their Glocks when the stock pistol runs perfectly. In my limited experience, aftermarket parts (not sights) ALWAYS make your 100% reliable Glock less reliable.

Pretty much this. People start changing crap that doesn't need to be changed or messed with because they saw it on the Internet and thought it looked cool or the website gave some epic description of it. I don't buy into the whole guide rod crap like that. I put the Vickers slide and mag release and a set of Heinie Straight 8's on my guns. For my 19's I put the G17 smooth trigger in, and add either the Sentinel magwell or a grip plug to help keep stuff out of my weapon.

M_Rapp
08-05-13, 17:31

Ditto.. I've had mine for almost 2 years. Only change I did was add the Lone Wolf barrel as my hand loads are hard cast (DT 200gr). The AK crowd told me it was a must do upgrade. I've never even had a round down the stock barrel.