PDA

View Full Version : New lefty build with AXTS ambi lower

sk1911
08-03-13, 12:11
Latest project finished. Light and mount will be here Monday but it's essentially done.

Specs:

BCM upper 14.5" pinned with BCM Gunfighter brake
BCM BCG
BCM Gunfighter ambi-charging handle
VTAC 13" Alpha rail
Magpul MBUS BUIS
Chopped FSB gas block
AXTS Weapons Systems ambi-lower with 45° selector
ALG ACT trigger
BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 pistol grip
B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo Stock
Standard H buffer
IKICKHIPPIES rear plate
Aimpoint T-1 2moa w/ EuroOptic QD mount
Surefire M600 Ultra Scout 500 lumen weapon light
Impact Weapon Components Scout light mount

Overall the build went well and I'm pleased with the results. This is my third DIY build so I have a good little library of "lessons learned" to help guide me. Throughout the process I referred many times to these forums and youtube. Some answers were easy to find and others not so much. I'll list out the issues I ran into as well as my opinion on some of the components for those who might also be curious.

Issues:

I only ran into a couple of minor snags. I had a little bit of trouble getting the Alpha rail over the barrel nut. It was very tight but with a little persuasion from a rubber mallet, I got it on. Now before I get ambushed...yes I know it goes on canted then twists into place, and yes I know it requires a factory mil-spec barrel nut. It was just tight, moving on. The only other issue I ran into was being my first attempt at chopping a FSB, I tried to err on the side of caution and only remove as much material as necessary. Well it turns out that's quite a bit more material than I was expecting. There's not much clearance in the Alpha rail so I think I re-taped, ground, and refinished that FSB about five times before I got it right.

Initial impressions:

I'm iffy about the EuroOptic QD mount. I only chose it because I had a credit with them and Larue's are out of stock everywhere I looked. So it's just a temporary solution. It's a nice mount, but the design just doesn't seem bomb-proof like an optic mount should.

I went with the IKICKHIPPIES reciever plate at the recommendation of the guys over at ITS Tactical. It was something different and it was 20 bucks so if it breaks, oh well.

This was my first experience with the B5 stock. It's nice, great cheek weld. It's a pretty tight fit, but it does not lock up as tight as a CTR. Not even close. Something to keep in mind if you're anal about your shit rattling a little. I could care less but to each their own.

I can't stand MBUS sights. I really like the KAC Micro set but $89 vs $310 swayed my decision a little and I can always swap them out later.

Lastly, the AXTS lower. I see guys asking about them a lot but I know there aren't many floating around yet. So here's my honest, no bullshit opinion. It's the nicest looking lower I've ever seen. It's also the easiest lower you will ever put together. They put a ton of thought into this thing, even down to threading out the rear take-down pin detent hole and including a hex screw plug, so you won't lose your spring and detent. It also comes with an anti-walk hammer pin that's got a rectangular head that sits in a recess. This thing is so nice, I almost feel bad about putting it on a carbine because I know I'm gonna beat the shit out of it. A lot of people say $500 for a stripped lower is crazy, and normally I'd be inclined to agree. However consider that with this lower, you get all the ambi controls which replace the need for a full LPK. You will still need a buffer retainer and spring, rear take-down pin, detent and spring, bolt catch detent and spring, trigger, and grip. For me, the quality and ease of assembly, coupled with the convenience of a fully ambi lower made it worth the cash. Hell, not having to install a bolt catch roll pin is worth it :)

Anyway, thanks for looking. If anyone has questions about anything just let me know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/sk1911/newgun_zps1838f49d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sk1911/media/newgun_zps1838f49d.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/sk1911/DSC00466_zps05457358.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sk1911/media/DSC00466_zps05457358.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/sk1911/DSC00468_zps1f756d17.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sk1911/media/DSC00468_zps1f756d17.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/sk1911/DSC00469_zps5006b217.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sk1911/media/DSC00469_zps5006b217.jpg.html)

spelingmastir
08-04-13, 08:26
Slick and well thought out. How does the gun feel? Did you shave the fsb with it still attached and do the rail install with the comp pinned?

sk1911
08-04-13, 11:32
It feels great. The balance is perfect and it's 7.8lbs with a full 30rd PMAG and MS3 sling.

I shaved the FSB while it was still on. I planned on removing it, thinking it would be a little easier to work on, but I ran into trouble with the infamous BCM taper pins. I hammered on them with a large punch and a second pair of hands per their instructions for about an hour and even with kroil , they wouldn't move.

Even installed the job wasn't too difficult. I used my dremel and some of the grey reinforced cutting wheels to remove the bulk of material, then the little brown grinding wheels to contour the shape. I cleaned up the rough spots with a hand file and refinished the bare metal with Rustoleum high temp BBQ paint.

I put the upper in my vise with an action block, covered the entire barrel in blue paint tape, then electrical tape in case I slipped, and just threw a tarp over the entire upper, so only the FSB was exposed.

Looking back I wish I had taken video or pics of the process. Maybe next time. Maybe a mask too. I don't know if breathing metal powder is bad but all I could smell was burnt aluminum for about 24 hours after ;)

The FH came pinned from BCM but the rail had plenty of clearance. I just wrapped the FH in tape to avoid dinging it up as I slid the rail over.

Army Chief
08-04-13, 12:16
I won't belabor the point too much, but I don't really mess with experimental, conceptual lowers; that said, I did invest in an AXTS, and the quality and innovation is worthy of a special mention. You do pay for what you get, but as stated above, it takes relatively few parts to complete one, and the end result is very much worth it. Definitely impressed with what I see coming from this company, who also builds the Raptor charging handles (a natural companion for this receiver) for Rainier Arms.

AC

spelingmastir
08-04-13, 18:13
Thanks for all of the details. You really spared no expense with this and did things right.

cop1211
08-04-13, 23:09
I'm digging the Aimpoint mount, first time I saw that one.

thecherokeekid
08-09-13, 07:57
Looks pretty awesome to me.... How do you like it? and how is everything working?? It is a nice build

sdw308
08-11-13, 07:17
Sweet setup. Just got my AXTS last week. Can't wait to get mine finished!

Army Chief
08-11-13, 07:59
Quick question for anyone with a built AXTS AX556 lower ...

I've noticed that the forward takedown pin on mine seems to lack much in the way of a positive engagement detent, and more-or-less just slides into/out of position from open to closed (and vice versa). Doesn't really affect anything when mounted to an upper, since the pin comes under more than enough tension to keep it in place, but I was just wondering if others have noticed anything similar.

AC

sdw308
08-11-13, 08:52

I've noticed that the forward takedown pin on mine seems to lack much in the way of a positive engagement detent, and more-or-less just slides into/out of position from open to closed (and vice versa). Doesn't really affect anything when mounted to an upper, since the pin comes under more than enough tension to keep it in place, but I was just wondering if others have noticed anything similar.

AC

I noticed the same thing AC, but after I put my plinker upper on...I felt it was a non-issue. It actually seemed to have a tighter lock up than my other lower.

Army Chief
08-11-13, 09:06
Concur. That reflects my experience as well, and it is pretty much a non-issue. Just wasn't immediately sure if this was typical, based upon my sample size of one.

Thanks,
AC

Failure2Stop
08-11-13, 09:17

AC

What pivot pin are you using?
Did it come with the lower?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Army Chief
08-11-13, 09:22
What pivot pin are you using?
Did it come with the lower?

Aye. Looks to be a proprietary part. Mine was already installed on the receiver when I got it, which is why I have no special insight into the configuration or design. Works well. Just feels a bit different.

AC

thecherokeekid
08-13-13, 12:34
Sorry for posting with the Quotes. Now I know..... :help:

NickyDunzo
08-13-13, 13:02
Nice build love the look

Jeffro2912
08-14-13, 20:35
I really like the look of this rifle, I'll bet the handling on it really is great.

ra2bach
08-15-13, 20:35
I won't belabor the point too much, but I don't really mess with experimental, conceptual lowers; that said, I did invest in an AXTS, and the quality and innovation is worthy of a special mention. You do pay for what you get, but as stated above, it takes relatively few parts to complete one, and the end result is very much worth it. Definitely impressed with what I see coming from this company, who also builds the Raptor charging handles (a natural companion for this receiver) for Rainier Arms.

AC

I love my AXTS lowers. but have ye been able to get any in a while?..

ra2bach
08-15-13, 20:37
Sweet setup. Just got my AXTS last week. Can't wait to get mine finished!

what??? where?.. :(

Army Chief
08-15-13, 20:41
I love my AXTS lowers. but have ye been able to get any in a while?..

I haven't really been in a position to make much of an effort given the issues of the past year, but it would seem that these lowers are still a bit difficult to find. I suspect there is a greater-than-usual tme investment involved in making them, and I'm not sure what AXTS is working with in terms of production capacity. Worth the wait, in any event.

AC

bzdog
08-15-13, 22:00
I ordered two in January and one in March directly from AXTS. I received the last one a week or two ago. I heard they were ironing out some of their production issues so maybe the wait will be shorter now.

If you want one I think your best bet is to order one directly from them and try to put it out of your mind.

I have to say they are beautiful. I now have in hand all the parts to build one but am ashamed to say I haven't found time to do the build yet. :-(

-john

The Lance
08-31-13, 01:50
is that lower compatible with any battery assist levers at all? It doesn't look like one would fit with the ridges