PDA

View Full Version : Is the Glock 26 necessary if I can carry/conceal a 19?

mikejg
08-03-13, 14:44
I've consolidated pistols down to 2 Glock 19s and a Glock 26, but I can't decide whether I should keep the 26 or sell it.

I rarely shoot the 26 and carry the 19 all of the time. At the same time I don't want to sell the gun and regret it later. I can't foresee a time I would be able to carry a 26 and not a 19, but that doesn't mean a situation like that could never arise.

I'd use the money for more ammo or training, but I'm not hard up for cash.

Has anyone in a similar situation sold a pistol they *thought* they wouldn't need and then regretted it? Should I keep it in my safe collecting dust for a "just in case" situation or let it go?

Chameleox
08-03-13, 14:51
Keep it.

With 2 G19s that do most of the work, you still have a gun that needs (almost) no logistical support beyond what's already there for the G19s. Same ammo, same mag capability, almost all the same parts. If that 1 in 1000 time comes where you have to conceal smaller than your 19, then you have a great gun for the job. You already own it, you're already familiar with it, and you presumably don't have to buy anything else for it, except maybe a good deep concealment holster.

You lose nothing by keeping it.

Steve S.
08-03-13, 14:52
.... no?

I don't think it hurts to have different tools in the toolbox. But the Shield has made the 26 a difficult tool to find a use for, FOR ME.

If I can't hide a 19, I probably will have a hard time hiding a 26.

26 being able to run G17 mags is a huge perk though. Not having a light rail is a bummer.

Depending on how you carry extra mags, maybe look at a Shield, G36 or a G30S. If you can't carry spare mags, having the extra power factor of the .45 could be a plus. I'd rather .45 than 9mm if spare mags aren't an option. But the Shield is so small it outclasses the other subcompacts, and the single stack mags are super easy to hide.

Chameleox
08-03-13, 14:53
Has anyone in a similar situation sold a pistol they *thought* they wouldn't need and then regretted it? Should I keep it in my safe collecting dust for a "just in case" situation or let it go?

I've regretted almost every gun I've sold, except maybe the last one, but that was an interesting story. I'm currently in a similar boat, or at least in the same waters, as you, regarding determining what I need in my stable.

brushy bill
08-03-13, 15:01
Personally, I'd keep the 26 unless I was strapped for cash, which you say you are not. This is particularly true if it is one of the older pre MIM versions.

skipper49
08-03-13, 15:03
Keep the 26. I have 19's and 26's, and am 6', 165 lbs. There are times when the 26 is so much easier to conceal. And as was stated above, most parts for one will fit the other, as well as mag compatability.

Skip

Steve S.
08-03-13, 15:11
Here's a question...

If you don't run a WML, what does the 19 do that the 26 can't?

Strap on a spare 17 mag or two, and both are very powerful EDC pistols.

mikejg
08-03-13, 15:12
Good points on all accounts. I appreciate everyone's insight. It looks like I'll keep it.

If I were to sell it to get a Shield, I'd be defeating the purpose of consolidating to Glocks for the parts commonality.

Skipper49, if you don't mind me asking, in what situations do you find yourself carrying a 26 instead of a 19?

Thanks,

Mike

polymorpheous
08-03-13, 15:12
I used to carry my G26OD.
Then I bought a G19FDE that I carry exclusively.
I can conceal it under a plain T-shirt with a standard Raven holster.

I just sold my G26 and bought a mess of reloading components.

mikejg
08-03-13, 15:16
Here's a question...

If you don't run a WML, what does the 19 do that the 26 can't?

Strap on a spare 17 mag or two, and both are very powerful EDC pistols.

Good point. I don't run a WML and carry an extra 17 mag with me always. The 26 lacks the full grip, which would make it easier to conceal, but again I don't know when I'd be in a situation where a 19 is a definite no go, but a 26 would be ok. You guys are killing me ;)

kh86
08-03-13, 15:17
Personal prefrence?

mikejg
08-03-13, 15:19
I used to carry my G26OD.
Then I bought a G19FDE that I carry exclusively.
I can conceal it under a plain T-shirt with a standard Raven holster.

I just sold my G26 and bought a mess of reloading components.

I carry the 19 in a Raven ACR, which works great for me in everything but tight shirts, which I stay away from anyway.

I need to really start looking into reloading.

ETA: Forgot to mention that it's a 26 from before all of the ejection issues.

m700m
08-03-13, 15:30
g26 = back up to g19.(works for me

Gatorshark
08-03-13, 16:03
Keep it if you can. If in doubt....don't.

Steve S.
08-03-13, 16:17
Good point. I don't run a WML and carry an extra 17 mag with me always. The 26 lacks the full grip, which would make it easier to conceal, but again I don't know when I'd be in a situation where a 19 is a definite no go, but a 26 would be ok. You guys are killing me ;)

If wearing a t-shirt that's fitted, or even a button up shirt with an "Athletic / Slim" fit, there's no way to hide a 19 on the waistband 100%. You're either buying clothes that are a size larger or you're printing. Both these are fine, but it is what it is.

If a 19 can't be hidden in some outfits, the 26 will be slightly less less-hidden. ;-)

jasonhgross
08-03-13, 16:26
I have found that if I can't conceal a 19, the 26 isnt much easier to conceal. The J-frame fills the gap where a 19 won't work. I am actually right now getting rid of the 26, trading it in for a 19. Several instructors I know did the same thing.

okie john
08-03-13, 16:30
I find that a G26 is actually harder conceal than a G19 because it isn't as stable in an IWB holster, which makes it stick out more. I also can't shoot it as well as a bigger Glock when I'm in a hurry. Long story short, I sold my G26 and my G19s and went to a pair of G17s that are cut to take G19 mags.

Okie John

skipper49
08-03-13, 16:46
Good points on all accounts. I appreciate everyone's insight. It looks like I'll keep it.

If I were to sell it to get a Shield, I'd be defeating the purpose of consolidating to Glocks for the parts commonality.

Skipper49, if you don't mind me asking, in what situations do you find yourself carrying a 26 instead of a 19?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, if I'm dressed in tucked shirt and slacks (often), I'll carry the 26 in a Blade-Tech UCH (tuckable), or in a belly band. Belly band is great for deep concealment, but not so much for speed. If, IF, I can wear an untucked shirt or other cover garment, then the 19 would usually be my choice. I really like to have options, and the 26, as well as other "little guns" give me more options.
I work in a retail optical store, and can carry the 26 in the belly band, appendix style,undetected, all day long, but usually, these days see me pocket carry a smaller gun at the office.

Skip

Frailer
08-03-13, 17:01
...Has anyone in a similar situation sold a pistol they *thought* they wouldn't need and then regretted it? Should I keep it in my safe collecting dust for a "just in case" situation or let it go?

I don't know anyone who has been shooting more than a few years who *hasn't* sold a gun and later regretted it. For this reason I stopped selling guns 10+ years ago. I was sorely tempted during the recent panic, but I stuck to my guns (no pun intended).

I'd keep it--you never know when it could turn out to be handy. For example , my daily driver has a concealed storage compartment where a Glock 26 fits *perfectly*--a Glock 19 won't.

SpeedRacer
08-03-13, 18:09
My handgun "collection" has been whittled down to the exact same, 2 G19s and a G26. And I'm also in the same boat, the 26 spends the vast majority of its life in the safe. I've considered selling it, but there are rare occasions it does come in handy, albeit simply a matter of convenience of sorts.

I don't look at as an alternative to the 19. The 26 is what I carry when I wouldn't carry a gun otherwise. You know, those quick late night runs to the gas station, etc where it would take longer to holster up the 19 than to just make the run. Part of the equation is having a small, quick-on holster to go with the 26. Personally I find the Raven VM2 fills this roll perfectly.

Simply put, if I'm carrying a gun it's a 19. If I'm not carrying a gun, I carry the 26. :D

TiroFijo
08-03-13, 18:19
For me the G19 is head and shoulders above a G26. I like guns that I can shoot well, and I'm willing to pay the small size difference for it.

I would sell the G26 and spend the money in ammunition :)

Doublestack45
08-03-13, 18:31
Keep that 26 and get yourself an Alessi ankle holster. I carry mine as a backup to my 19's and 17 everyday I wear pants. There's a lot to be said for the magazine compatibility with your primary, not to mention the ease of draw when seated/driving. I own two S&W 642's that just sit in the safe now. The 26 has more than double the capacity and it shoots 147 HST's extremely accurately- what's not to like?

D.S. Brown
08-03-13, 18:44
I have 2 G-19's, a G17, and a G-26.

Like many I like the commonality of a system. Anyway my G-19's are my primary carry guns. However I purposely bought the G-26 as a back up, and to act as primary carry in the summer. I have literally been wearing cargo shorts, and polo shirts all summer. I have put the G-26 in the large front pocket of the shorts with no problem. Nothing and I mean NOTHING else goes in that pocket, and a casual glance by someone isn't going to give you away. All I can say is in this Texas heat, this system has worked well.

Best,

Dave

themonk
08-03-13, 18:47
Keep the 26 and put it in your bug out bag as a backup or stash it somewhere. Never sell a glock

Fly'nBuff
08-03-13, 21:30
Keep the 26 and put it in your bug out bag as a backup or stash it somewhere. Never sell a glock

This was my solution. I wasn't carrying the 26 anymore and I couldn't rationalize selling the gun. BOB is a great solution for me. Easily concealable and can accept any other Glock 9mm magazine. Can't say I miss it, but I glad it's still here.

mikejg
08-03-13, 21:40
Bug out bag is a really good idea. Thanks all for the feedback!

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-03-13, 21:41
The G26 is easier to conceal than the G19 and more reliable in my experience. I have owned at least three G19s and 2 G26s and I always had better luck with the G26.

Trajan
08-04-13, 20:24
No, if you can conceal the G19, why would you ever carry a G26? That is, unless of course you're carrying it as a backup. Carry the biggest gun you can (within reason).

CCK
08-04-13, 21:31
I keep mine in the center console. Always there.

Chris

Chrisfb
08-04-13, 22:05
If you wear t-shirts and bend at the waste a lot (I have little kids) the G26 is a major margin better than the 19. I hardly ever do it but I also have a kydex pocket holster as an option. I also think it works better tucked if you are a slim or athletic build.

That's where I see the advantages otherwise go with whatever. I've run thousands of rounds through my 26 and used it in a full 3 day pistol class of 1000+ rounds. While I'd default to my G17 if given the option I actually would not be the least bit worried about having the 26 as my only option (with my 17 mags as spares). I shoot and handle it well. It runs like a machine.

By the way I'm 6'3" and 225lbs and usually just carry the 26 for anything concealed (IWB Comptac MTAC) along with a spare 17 mag.

I run a G17 and G26 with no midsize in the mix. It works for me for the situations outlined but ultimately it's your priorities that matter. You could always sell the 26 and get another 19.

walkin' trails
08-04-13, 22:59
I wouldn't get rid of the 26 either. The BUG and BOB, or
just as a spare pistol are good considerations. So is having a pistol with a 10-round capacity for those capacity restricted places if you travel and are legally able to carry/transport.

beschatten
08-05-13, 09:55
I have never found the 26 a practical choice for myself. Then again, I am never that hard pressed for deep, deep concealment.

My train of thought is, what's the point of having a gun if I can't shoot it well enough to actually hit what I want to hit? I could barely keep the ring finger on the grip so half my ring finger and pinky finger were just danging. My thumb was also blocking the ejection port because I am left handed. The better choice for myself was to dress around a gun that I am the most proficient with, that also meets the standards I have for something that will be carried.

Only Glock I ended up keeping was the 17, with the 19 and 26 off to happy new owners. YMMV...

Psalms144.1
08-05-13, 10:32
I'm a HUGE fan of sticking with a weapons "platform" and mastering it, and having weapons to meet your individual needs.

Having said that, I've owned DOZENS of Glocks over the years - and the only ones I consistently have sold off in short order have been the "babies."

I'm with you in that there are VERY few instances where I find that what I'm wearing will conceal a G26 but not a G19. And, I shoot the G19 so much better, with 50% more ammunition on board, that I will sacrifice some comfort or style to make the G19 work with the clothing I have to wear. WRT using the G26 as a BUG, BTDT, got the t-shirt and the chiropractor's bills to prove it - for me it's simply too thick and heavy to wear on the ankle comfortably for all day. And, I've simply never found a way to carry it on the belt or elsewhere in conjuction with the G19 so that I could stand the extra effort. If I was in uniform, I could see wearing one under the uniform shirt in a "vest" holster, but as a plain-clothes guy, that's not a reasonable option for me.

What I really believe the G19 needs as a companion is a truly SMALL 9mm brother. For me, I've had fantastic luck with several Kahr PM9s over the years. The Kahr is the pistol I carry when I can't carry a real gun - but I still have 7+1 of 9mm on board, with 7-14 more rounds of quick reload handy on my person, even in tank-top and running shorts.

The down side to the Kahr for a Glock shooter is the trigger. While striker-fired, the trigger is much closer in feel and operation to a HK LEM or lightened DAO revolver trigger. If I were in the market today, and not heavily invested in magazines, holsters, etc for the Kahr, I'd get a S&W Shield 9mm and call it good.

So, FOR ME, in your shoes, I would ditch the G26, and start shopping for a Shield. But, of course, this is just my opinion, and worth precisely what you paid for it.

Regards,

Kevin

xjustintimex
08-05-13, 10:34
I have small hands, but undercutting the g26 trigger guard and adding a gap floorplate gives me a tight full hand grip on the gun. A lot of my friends cannot get the same purchase on the g26. For me I can shoot the g26 just as well as my other glocks, and it conceals A LOT better. In the winter I carry a g17 and everything in between I will carry my g19. The g26 seems to go with me everywhere in the winter because I basically wear tshirts all summer long. I would not get rid of the g26 as at least you can use it as a BUG.

glocktogo
08-05-13, 10:38
My G-26 gets used primarily as a backup gun in a Galco Ankle Glove. On the belt, I can conceal the 19 just fine and it's easier to manipulate across the range of functions I'd expect to use (draw, hit factor, reloads, etc.). Some people pocket carry a 26, but I detest it for that use. Some prefer it for appendix carry and it does well there.

Meh, it's a Glock and can always be pressed into service for some function, even if it's just to arm someone else in an emergency. Keep it.

1911-A1
08-05-13, 10:53
I sold my 26 for the same reason I stopped carrying my M&P9c. I can't draw it quickly and get a good grip unless I'm using an extended mag, and that puts me in G19 territory. Conceal-ability is nice but if I can't draw it effectively, it's a disadvantage.

Vendetta
08-05-13, 12:20
I'd say keep it, like everyone else. I had an OD one years ago I regretted selling, along with an older G19 I hated selling also. I run mine as a BUG at work, but never carry it off duty or in a covert capacity, I still run a G19 for that.

mikejg
08-05-13, 13:29
Thanks all for the replies. I'll be keeping it. I don't think I'll ever regret keeping it, but I could possibly regret selling it.

RagweedZulu
08-05-13, 14:02
Thanks all for the replies. I'll be keeping it. I don't think I'll ever regret keeping it, but I could possibly regret selling it.

You'll never regret keeping a pistol but, as I've learned too many times, you will regret selling most of them.

I regularly carry a G23 to court under a suit, but I don't care if anyone notices since I'm on duty. But I recently went to both a wedding and a funeral in similar suits where carrying my G27 was just easier, lighter and with less printing. At those events I'd prefer if nobody ever knew I was armed, and for me this was much easier done with the subcompact.

Another "around the house" use is to tuck it into a bookshelf or otherwise hide it somewhere near the front of your house (assuming no children around) where you can get to it quickly if your 19 is on your belt hanging from the bedpost in the back. I also like and subscribe to the idea of an "unused" gun being dedicated to your vehicle. I have a G22 in a locked box just in case I were to ever leave home without something. (How the hell could THAT happen?!?!).

Vendetta
08-05-13, 14:04
You'll never regret keeping a pistol but, as I've learned too many times, you will regret selling most of them.

Off topic, but I definitely regret holding onto a XD as long as I did. I traded it off for a Glock, but it took way too long.

SPDGG
08-05-13, 14:18
I agree with many above.
The G26 has its place, & its a good one.

fwiw:
With my build I can carry the G26 just about all seasons of the year. But, the G19 I will fall back on when I can layer up.
When temps. drop & I can wear a light outer layer, Im carrying the G19. If I know I'll be taking off that outer layer once I get indoors, I'm going G26. All depends on what Im wearing, the occasion.

Hard to beat a 10+1 9mm subcompact that accepts full size mags. Feel pretty good with 10+1, & a 15/17 spare on me.

RagweedZulu
08-05-13, 14:21
Off topic, but I definitely regret holding onto a XD as long as I did. I traded it off for a Glock, but it took way too long.

Funny because I sold off two XD 45 pistols and don't really regret selling them. They just didn't do anything my G30 and 21 didn't already do.

Then last month I went and bought an XDs .45 and it has made my G27 pretty much obsolete. To have a thin, light compact .45 that hides so easily is ridiculous! I feel sorry for my 27 but can't seem to find a place for her any longer. But I'm not selling her!

Labayu
08-05-13, 15:37
Simply put, if I'm carrying a gun it's a 19. If I'm not carrying a gun, I carry the 26. :D

^^^^^
THIS!!

I was going to post something similar but no need to reinvent the wheel.

I don't carry the G26 much but with a clip on trigger guard cover I can toss it into the pocket of some shorts or even my bathrobe in a pinch and it sees use when I don't have anywhere to conveniently conceal anything much larger than a pack of Chesterfields.

FlyAndFight
08-06-13, 10:34
The 26 has been my carry gun for years. It conceals perfectly and having practiced with it throughout those years, it's an extension of my hand in regards to drawing from concealment, handling and shooting. I've carried the 19 on many occassions and it fits and works almost identically for me.

Over the years I've bought and sold several handguns and have yet to sell off a Glock.

Keith E.
08-06-13, 14:36
I have put the G-26/G-27 in the large front pocket of the shorts with no problem. Nothing and I mean NOTHING else goes in that pocket, and a casual glance by someone isn't going to give you away. All I can say is in this Texas heat, this system has worked well.

Works pretty good in the heat and humidity of North Carolina also.

Keith

Ta2edff
01-04-14, 02:48
I reduced my collection too , also I took into account WML. So out went all the glocks and in came M&P full size 9mm and 9C . Out with the G26 went my EDC pocket light which was replaced with a TLR3 on the 9C . On the 9C I put Arredondo +5 base plate for longer grip and well balanced ride in my IWB . I missed the triggers on my glocks which soon faded after procuring and installing APEX poly's . No I don't miss my glocks or my G26 .

Good luck .

Mr blasty
01-04-14, 03:00
I reduced my collection too , also I took into account WML. So out went all the glocks and in came M&P full size 9mm and 9C . Out with the G26 went my EDC pocket light which was replaced with a TLR3 on the 9C . On the 9C I put Arredondo +5 base plate for longer grip and well balanced ride in my IWB . I missed the triggers on my glocks which soon faded after procuring and installing APEX poly's . No I don't miss my glocks or my G26 .

Good luck .

Are you saying that you don't carry a handheld light anymore?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Ta2edff
01-04-14, 03:02
Are you saying that you don't carry a handheld light anymore?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

On my bag not in my pocket . The pocket light was to supplement the G26 .

Noodle
01-04-14, 07:04
I'm not a fan of the subcompact Glocks. There are too many other subcompacts out there that are much easier to conceal. But if you like the 26, leave it in your vehicle (not your safe). You never know when it might come in handy.

brown3345
01-04-14, 08:09
I guess I'm in the minority here. I love my G26. If I want better control or more capacity, I slide the extended magazine in. If I want to print less, I use the 10 round magazine. I know you can have a few more rounds with the G19 but for the vast majority of situations that I might be in 10+1 is plenty of ammo to get out of a sticky situation.

pingdork
01-04-14, 12:21
I have a 17,19 and a 26.
I carry the 19 most of the time.
26 with it's short grip is my choice for summer wear. For me I find it easier to conceal the shorter grip of a 26 even compared to even some single stack 9s I've holstered, which while being obviously thinner, have a 19ish grip length.

I can't explain why, but I'm more accurate with my 26 than the 19. It's a freaky anomaly. Speed of handling though def favors the 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jmoore
01-04-14, 14:34
>>I can't explain why, but I'm more accurate with my 26 than the 19. It's a freaky anomaly. Speed of handling though def favors the 19.<<

I,too, find this to be the case. I still maintain there is something about the Glock grip that contributes to the " low n left" phenomenon. The smaller the grip the less I do this. Out to about 15m I shoot the 26 better than a 17.
john

walkin' trails
01-04-14, 14:43
My unscientific theory on why some people shoot better with the baby Glocks is because they milk the grip with their pinkies and are forced to curl it under on the 26/27s. Another factor may be the shorter sight radius subconsciously makes them focus more on the front sight. That said, I have seen little to no difference in the accuracy of full sized, compact, and subcompact Glocks when operated by accomplished shooters using off-hand positions. I don't think a Glock has a natural tendency to shoot anywhere other than a little high due to the grip angle if the sight alignment is not adhered to. The low-left is trigger jerk and
requires a judicious amount of dry fire and other drills to overcome.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

ST911
01-04-14, 19:13
My unscientific theory on why some people shoot better with the baby Glocks is because they milk the grip with their pinkies and are forced to curl it under on the 26/27s. Another factor may be the shorter sight radius subconsciously makes them focus more on the front sight. That said, I have seen little to no difference in the accuracy of full sized, compact, and subcompact Glocks when operated by accomplished shooters using off-hand positions. I don't think a Glock has a natural tendency to shoot anywhere other than a little high due to the grip angle if the sight alignment is not adhered to. The low-left is trigger jerk and
requires a judicious amount of dry fire and other drills to overcome.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

That's basically it. The shorter grip leaves less surface area for bad input from the hand. The shooter is also aware that the smaller gun requires more deliberate effort. Many find that they shoot the subcompacts more accurately. However, they probably are not shooting them as well at speed.

The subcompacts can be useful in remediating problem shooters.

pingdork
01-04-14, 21:50
That's basically it. The shorter grip leaves less surface area for bad input from the hand. The shooter is also aware that the smaller gun requires more deliberate effort. Many find that they shoot the subcompacts more accurately. However, they probably are not shooting them as well at speed.

The subcompacts can be useful in remediating problem shooters.

That makes sense to an extent. I may be more accurate with my 26 over the 19, but I am by far the most accurate with the 17, which I assume is longer barrel/less felt recoil etc.

To me, I carry the 19 most of the time because I perceive the draw, and reloading to be faster, which trumps the small loss of accuracy at self defense distances. (Perceive meaning I've never timed myself)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

packinaglock
01-05-14, 06:13
I sold my 26 for the same reason I stopped carrying my M&P9c. I can't draw it quickly and get a good grip unless I'm using an extended mag, and that puts me in G19 territory. Conceal-ability is nice but if I can't draw it effectively, it's a disadvantage.

Have you tried drawing with a GAP floor plate on your G26? It made a big difference for me. I contacted the GAP floor plate guys a couple of years ago about one for my M&P .40c and 9c and the said they would be coming out with them soon, guess I need to see if they ever did.