PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P w/ Aimpint T1 Micro

Solidius
08-03-13, 21:44
This is part Gun review, part AAR....
Unity Tactical ATOM Gear review / Costa Ludus AAR – Tulsa, OK 7/26 – 7/28/13
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/9402816361_2ba96c52b5_c.jpg
I have attended formal firearms training in the past, everything from local slower paced classes to traveling for higher end classes. Having taken a carbine class with Chris before, I expected a good pace to the course. Additionally I was fortunate enough to be able to take a prototype ATOM slide for my S&W M&P 9mm courtesy of Trent Zimmer president of Unity Tactical. It was equipped with an Aimpoint T1 Micro. I have two full size M&P’s in 9mm one stock, and one with the APEX trigger and duty kit.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3717/9402835331_658636b92e_c.jpg
I’ll talk briefly about the class itself as there are many AARs on Chris’s classes, and I don’t know that my experience would differ greatly from others posted. I will say this is the first 3 day course I’ve attended. I felt that the first day of fundamentals I really needed to shake the rust off, this ammo situation has really hurt my ability to train regularly, and it showed. So the first day really helped get back to basics and was a good pre-curser to day 2 and 3. The 2nd and 3rd days were fun and really were educational. I have noticed that Chris’s teaching has changed a bit since I had last taken a class from him. Even more focus on self-diagnosis and problem solving on the fly. His mindset talks really drive home the need to be a master of your tools. A really good solid course, that’s worth every penny.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/9405595384_c71051bb0e_c.jpg
I ran the ATOM slide most of the time, I started with it on my frame with the stock trigger. It was hard going to a stock trigger, but I think it was good practice. The first thing I noticed being the first time I shot more than a few rounds out of a red dot equipped gun is that distance is where this type of setup shines. Up close I found myself even a little slower at first, losing the red dot on occasion. Chris recommended tracking the front sight during extension to the class (majority running irons), and this translated well with using the T1 as well. I was able to get the red dot on target much faster. When I talk about this type of setup shining at distance is at 25 yards with standard pistol sites if your shooting at a 4 inch dot your front sight covers a good portion of your target, and that is magnified even more at further distances. With the T1 I could see the entirety of the target I was aiming for, making it much easier to be precise.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7298/9402829337_099190deb6_c.jpg
On the second day I did everything from concealment, and to my surprise I didn't have any snags on the T1 micro. I used an OWB holster in right hand appendix position with an un-tucked shirt. Using the T1 Micro had become very comfortable, and I was feeling very confident with it. On the third day I decided to move the APEX striker block over to the Atom frame, and use my frame with the APEX kit installed. Okay now this was like cheating, which is a good thing, I was conscious of my struggling with the factory S&W trigger compared to the Apex but now I had good sights, and a good trigger(funny how factory triggers don't bother you too much, until you get a nicer trigger, poof all the sudden I'm a trigger snob). This made life a lot easier, which means I could focus on other things, and learn more.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3776/9402833267_cf950be82b_c.jpg
I know a lot of folks would ask why you would want to put a T1 on a pistol, compared to the smaller RMR. My opinion is that the T1 is measurably tougher and it’s dot emitter is protected unlike the RMR, it has a longer battery life, the dot is smaller than most versions of the RMR, allowing for more precision, and suffers only one negative, mass. After seeing firsthand how the ATOM worked from concealment I’d even like to see an ATOM slide for the M&P compact. An inadvertent plus is the T1 micro also becomes a charging handle on the gun allowing you use it for one handed malfunction drills, and even just power stroking the gun on a mag change. You can do the same thing with an RMR but I noticed that you get sweat, oil, mud etc on the front lens when using it this way, where the forward lens on the T1 is more recessed.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5335/9405587678_9a1866aedf_c.jpg

Function: With the extra 2 ounces or so I was curious how the gun would run. I did a light coat of Fireclean before the class, and a brief wipe down with a dry paper towel between day 2 and 3, the thing ran like a champ. The majority(probably 1600rds) of the 2000 rds expended were with the ATOM silde. Ammunition was LAX factory reloads.
My brother has XDm 45 with a Trijicon RMR equipped, but he has send it back to Trijicon twice, and that's really what got me searching for a red dot gun with a tougher optic(not to say the RMR is not tough as nails, but anecdotal experience had me hesitant to go that route). So I'll be glad to snag one of these when these go to production.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/9426654193_39dc7b1469_o.png
I have no affiliation with Unity Tactical, Trent was just nice enough to let me run a prototype in this class, so a big thanks to him, as I am just an regular guy, not a pro shooter, forearms instructor or the like...
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/9405579398_e3c5f52bfa_c.jpg

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-04-13, 00:12
That is pretty nifty

Blak1508
08-04-13, 01:03
Nice write-up. I am glad to see the T-1 had no issues and that it is obtainable to find a configuration like this or at least a prospect in the near future where a positive expecience came as the result. I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for this company.

As of right now I am shooting the PPQ a bunch and I have a shield 9mm so I also know what it is like to be spoiled by a good trigger. I have been thinking about the APEX kit for the Shield.

OP thanks for sharing.

Solidius
08-04-13, 08:12
Nice write-up. I am glad to see the T-1 had no issues and that it is obtainable to find a configuration like this or at least a prospect in the near future where a positive experience came as the result. I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for this company.

As of right now I am shooting the PPQ a bunch and I have a shield 9mm so I also know what it is like to be spoiled by a good trigger. I have been thinking about the APEX kit for the Shield.

OP thanks for sharing.

I carry a shield 9mm when I'm wearing light summer clothes, shorts and t-shirt etc... and I just ordered an Apex trigger, now if someone would make a safety block that permanently keeps the gun on fire...:D I know I'm picky

vicious_cb
08-04-13, 10:59
Do you recommend this set up for CCW? :rolleyes:

Blak1508
08-04-13, 11:45
What setup?^. The micro and M&P ? Or apex and safety block? Usually before I roll eyes I give an indication of why.

On the micro/ M&P setup, do I think it could be carried and concealed comfortably? Yes, optimal, maybe that would depend on my gear, weather etc. I was taught to dress around my gear, makes sense if you think about it since it is the most important part of my person. Yeah the micro adds bulk but depending on what works best for me I would adapt.

As far as the safety block and apex, why the hell not, I carry my PPQ every day, no issues there. Just keep my finger off the trigger simple if you ask me. I have the safety off on my Shield when I carry it, but I also wish one was not present.

Spiffums
08-05-13, 18:28
I carry a G34 with a RMR and it's a big gun to conceal. If your able to hide a Micro on a pistol I commend you.

Blak1508
08-05-13, 19:30
How do you like the RMR ? I would be very interested in just seeing a side by side comparison using the same handgun. Yeah I personally would not want one on my carry gun but I would not mind trying it out with IPSC/USPSA. I do like how his micro is mounted though. I see a few RMRs once in a while but have never used one on any platform besides my AR which I have a AP micro on.

CFII
08-06-13, 23:24
I carry my Glock 22 with a T1. Just need a good holster.

The ATOM mount is the way to go.

eternal24k
08-09-13, 14:13
That's awesome, this setup really addresses all o my concerns with the RMR.

It's only a matter of time for Aimpoint to make a shorter T1

WickedWillis
08-09-13, 16:57
I could not justify the cost, or practicality of that on a self defense handgun. However, running it in matches and everything sure, I get that. Give me a set of night sights with a different color front sight and I am GTG on self defense speed and concealment.

WickedWillis
08-09-13, 16:58
The Shield in 9mm is my summer carry as well. The safety is so small it really is a non-issue on it.

I carry a shield 9mm when I'm wearing light summer clothes, shorts and t-shirt etc... and I just ordered an Apex trigger, now if someone would make a safety block that permanently keeps the gun on fire...:D I know I'm picky

PatrioticDisorder
08-09-13, 17:23
WOW, after looking at that thing makes me really appreciate the RMR sitting on my M&P CORE. That thing looks like a BLIMP sitting on top of the M&P, plus no rear sights... Definitely a competition gun, no way that thing should be considered for defensive purposes.

richiecotite
08-09-13, 18:36
^ gun clearly has a rear sight.

How do they cowitness with optic?

PatrioticDisorder
08-09-13, 19:11
[QUOTE=richiecotite;1717316]^ gun clearly has a rear sight.

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that our, I completely I
missed it.

Solidius
08-11-13, 06:45
^ gun clearly has a rear sight.

How do they cowitness with optic?

They are low in the optic, the production mount will bring the optic down even lower, so I would think it would be akin to a lower 1/3 co-witness

Solidius
08-11-13, 06:59
WOW, after looking at that thing makes me really appreciate the RMR sitting on my M&P CORE. That thing looks like a BLIMP sitting on top of the M&P, plus no rear sights... Definitely a competition gun, no way that thing should be considered for defensive purposes.

After seeing pocket lint over the emitter of the RMR stop the dot from appearing on the front glass, and two RMRs die from pistol recoil I just don't have a great amount of confidence in the RMR. Yes it's anecdotal and probably very, very rare it's hard to have confidence in one. I can live with a couple being lemons, but I just don't like a design that has an exposed led emitter, where rain, mud, dirt, lint etc can impede it's function. If I had to go with a red dot with an exposed emitter than I'd still pick an RMR, but I don't think anyone would argue witch optic is more reliable.

ShipWreck
08-11-13, 09:02
Wow, that is pretty cool. Never seen that before.

SmokinSigs357
08-12-13, 08:49
I'm sure that the T1 is a pretty lightweight piece of kit...however, since it was made for mounting on a rifle and not a slide, do you foresee any issues with it affecting slide performance?

Most competitors lighten their slides so the gun functions quicker, does the T1 slow performance at all?

Just curious.

Solidius
08-13-13, 05:58
I'm sure that the T1 is a pretty lightweight piece of kit...however, since it was made for mounting on a rifle and not a slide, do you foresee any issues with it affecting slide performance?

Most competitors lighten their slides so the gun functions quicker, does the T1 slow performance at all?

Just curious.

Hmmm well not that I could tell in a measurable way. I have shot a M&P Core L (long slide) and a XDm 5.25 with RMRs and they seemed to track slower, probably because the slide actually travels further.

I ran the gun without a cleaning whole time(wiped it down with a dry paper towel once), and didn't have problems, but maybe at a higher round count you could see issues between a optic gun and a stock one?

TiroFijo
08-13-13, 07:25
Just seeing this kind of setup makes me think that MRDS still have long way to go to become fully mature for a handgun...

The truly small ones not completely trustworthy, the bomb proof ones too big and heavy.

FWIW, I have tried MRDS in a handgun, and don't see how the pros outweight the cons for a normal user. YMMV

babypanther
08-13-13, 13:58
I actually like the look of MRDS on a handgun. I think that the technology obviously has a few years to go but personally it seems like the way to go, especially for a handgun.