PDA

View Full Version : New to the full build

Kelevra
08-03-13, 23:03
I am in the process of purchasing the parts I need for my first full build and I came to m4carbine.net to answer some questions. I have gained quite a bit of knowledge from reading a lot of threads here while I waited (and waited) to have my account validated. Using what I've learned here I've made a couple changes that I think are important, most importantly not skimping on the BCG (I'm now going with a BCM instead of a cheap one). The one thing I can't seem to find relates to the charging handle. So, my question is; should I pay $45 for a BCM Gunfighter charging handle or go with a $14 USGI? What makes BCM's charging handle superior (if it is) and is it worth the extra $30? I know I have a couple other questions, but I waited around for almost a week to get varified and they have slipped my mind. Hopefully I'll remember and ask later. The forum seems to have a lot of knowledge in it, and I look forward to being part of the community, learning and contributing.

Thanks

Jeffro2912
08-03-13, 23:13
The BCM's have larger latches that are also stronger than a standard charging handle latch. This makes it easier to do single handed manipulation of the charging handle with less worry of it being damaged. How large the latch is is dependent on the model chosen (3,4,etc).

VIP3R 237
08-03-13, 23:19
This is one area where you do not want to skimp on and is a must have upgrade. It is worth every penny.

Kelevra
08-03-13, 23:19
The BCM's have larger latches that are also stronger than a standard charging handle latch. This makes it easier to do single handed manipulation of the charging handle with less worry of it being damaged. How large the latch is is dependent on the model chosen (3,4,etc).

So, the charging handle itself is the same or similar in quality and strength, and the only real difference is the latch? I wondered if that was the only difference. Is it worth it? In my 16 years around the M16/M4/AR platform I'm not sure I've ever done a single handed manipulation of the charging handle. When would that come into play? I've never been in a firefight, so maybe that's when.

Kelevra
08-03-13, 23:49
This is one area where you do not want to skimp on and is a must have upgrade. It is worth every penny.

Are you agreeing that it's only the latch, or are you saying that the whole of the BCM charging handle is superior?

MistWolf
08-04-13, 00:08
I have purchased three Gunfighters- a Mod 3, 4 and 5. I've also had two standard charging handles, one generic charging handle that came with a PSA carbine kit and one that came with a 20" Colt I bought back in the 90's.

The GF CHs were stiffer and resisted twisting much better than the standard CHs so the rifle can be charged by pulling just on the release lever side. GF release levers are not only longer for easier use but also re-designed so the lever roll pin doesn't shear.

I have traded away a Mod 3 for a Mod 4 because the release lever was too long for my use. I gave the Mod 5 to another AR shooter because it's release lever was too short.

GF CHs are definitely worth the extra coin

Kelevra
08-04-13, 00:15
I have purchased three Gunfighters- a Mod 3, 4 and 5. I've also had two standard charging handles, one generic charging handle that came with a PSA carbine kit and one that came with a 20" Colt I bought back in the 90's.

The GF CHs were stiffer and resisted twisting much better than the standard CHs so the rifle can be charged by pulling just on the release lever side. GF release levers are not only longer for easier use but also re-designed so the lever roll pin doesn't shear.

I have traded away a Mod 3 for a Mod 4 because the release lever was too long for my use. I gave the Mod 5 to another AR shooter because it's release lever was too short.

GF CHs are definitely worth the extra coin

Thanks. That's the little more info that I was looking for as well. The funny thing is that while I was waiting for responses I also continued my own searching. I stumbled upon the Military Times GEARSCOUT site, which I have stumbled on once or twice before tonight. There I've found two great reviews by Stickman (who I remember from years ago at ARFCOM and have seen responding here as well) which explain the difference between the BCM GF and standard charging handles. Now things make sense, and I would have to agree with you three and the notion that this is a place not to skimp.

Thanks to all three of you.

Iraqgunz
08-04-13, 01:10
USGI charging handles are obsolete in my opinion. The superior re-design of the latch to reduce wear on the roll pin and the size make it much easier to manipulate the handle when necessary and certainly easier with gloves.

When I was in Iraq I remember one particular contract where they replaced at least 50 charging handles that shat themselves after just a few years of use (3-4).

Kelevra
08-04-13, 01:16
USGI charging handles are obsolete in my opinion. The superior re-design of the latch to reduce wear on the roll pin and the size make it much easier to manipulate the handle when necessary and certainly easier with gloves.

When I was in Iraq I remember one particular contract where they replaced at least 50 charging handles that shat themselves after just a few years of use (3-4).

This makes sense. My initial choice was to buy the GF, but my brother-in-law got me questioning my decision. This made me decide I wanted more information. Thanks.

Agnostic
08-04-13, 16:21
My BCM Mod 4 is great. Other charging handles seem to twist if you put more pressure to the latch side, my BCM doesn't twist like the others. Ergonomics (for me, right handed), strength, finish, etc. all seem to be perfect.

I have read of some folks preferring the larger latch Mod 3 if they are running a larger sized scope. My Mod 4 is perfect with a 1-4x variable.

Tzed250
08-04-13, 16:51
+1 on the BCM Mod 4. It moves smoothly and the the latch is like Baby Bear's porridge, just right.

AlphaKoncepts
08-05-13, 08:57
BCM have larger latches which are especially great if you are using optics. You can even get the ambidextrous models with large latches. The large latches cause a problem with the standard usgi type charging handles with twisting because they are kind of flimsy. The BCM in my experience are much more beefy and lest likely to twist. I've never seen a CH snap, but they do bind up as they twist making it harded to charge.