PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about the Vltor A5 ? ?

mikeith
08-03-13, 23:09
Just wondering because I've searched and can't come up with results. It seems like everyone is buying them and I'm just trying to figure out why and what great purpose they serve

jstalford
08-03-13, 23:10
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1697064

Iraqgunz
08-04-13, 01:05
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121975

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56043

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76434

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php%3Ft%3D131839&sa=U&ei=Je_9UYm0HeHWiwLhyoC4Cg&ved=0CAcQFjAAOB4&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEXauxgK5ZiTUqAkGsW4IZzvBc9Nw

mikeith
08-04-13, 08:44
Very informative threads! Think it would run ok on a 10.2" 300blk?

az doug
08-04-13, 09:51
Depends on the buffer weight you choose.

samuse
08-04-13, 10:41
99% of the time it's a solution looking for a problem.

horseman234
08-04-13, 17:52
Very informative threads! Think it would run ok on a 10.2" 300blk?

It runs well on my 10.5" with the normal A5 H2 buffer.

Iraqgunz
08-04-13, 18:00
99% of the time it's people who don't know why they are changing something or how to do it.

They also fail to read and take the advice of people who actually know what they are talking about and have thousands and thousands of rounds with a particular set up and have already done all the work.

99% of the time it's a solution looking for a problem.

Boss Hogg
08-04-13, 21:52
I was fortunate to get some of the earliest A5s when they came out.

A number of my ARs have them.

I will say that for most of the AR market (which, let's face it, is 16" carbine or mids) they don't make
a dramatic difference in felt recoil.

For suppressed, SBR, or suppressed SBR applications, however, the A5 makes a BIG difference in reliability.

samuse
08-04-13, 22:38
99% of the time it's people who don't know why they are changing something or how to do it.

They also fail to read and take the advice of people who actually know what they are talking about and have thousands and thousands of rounds with a particular set up and have already done all the work.

Because every AR in the whole world is not reliable enough without the A5 now?

:D

mikeith
08-04-13, 22:49
I was fortunate to get some of the earliest A5s when they came out.

A number of my ARs have them.

I will say that for most of the AR market (which, let's face it, is 16" carbine or mids) they don't make
a dramatic difference in felt recoil.

For suppressed, SBR, or suppressed SBR applications, however, the A5 makes a BIG difference in reliability.

Well the lower I would be putting it on would be a multi host for a suppressed 10.2 300blk AND suppressed SPR upper withprobably a 16-18 barrel, noveske intermediate gas system and POSSIBLY a switchblock.

Airhasz
08-04-13, 23:14
Just wondering because I've searched and can't come up with results. It seems like everyone is buying them and I'm just trying to figure out why and what great purpose they serve

Unless you are the guy whom feels they need to purchase every new product that pops up on the market, save your money. Soldiers have been having success with mil spec stocks, springs and receiver extensions for decades. New products for the AR will keep popping up for sale and it's up to you to decide if you want to keep lining the pockets of retailers. Personally, I prefer to purchase additional quality ammunition for my ARs that already put rounds on target!

samuse
08-04-13, 23:36
I really think it is a better mousetrap, but for most apps, a carbine setup works fine.

If they were more readily available and I was building a lower. An A5 would definitely be considered.

TheJawn
08-05-13, 00:36
It's a vltor thing isn't it? Their single focus may as well be improving and perfecting the AR.

Koshinn
08-05-13, 00:59
Well the lower I would be putting it on would be a multi host for a suppressed 10.2 300blk AND suppressed SPR upper withprobably a 16-18 barrel, noveske intermediate gas system and POSSIBLY a switchblock.
intermediate gas, switchblock, and a5... you're just looking to spend money, aren't you?

Badger89
08-05-13, 04:26
Did I miss something? Why all the booing of the A5 all of a sudden? I thought the general consensus was that they are beneficial for reducing recoil, eliminating bolt bounce (with the right buffer), improving reliability and contributing to more consistant cycling overall? Now were talking like Vltor is selling overpriced snake oil? Sure a carbine RE works, but so does an SKS... that doesnt mean there isnt a better design out there that works better.

krichbaum
08-05-13, 06:41
I use the A5 buffer system because a single buffer weight and spring combination works across a wider variety of variables that affect function. I'm always swapping lowers and uppers, shooting suppressed and unsuppressed, shooting different ammo, etc. The A5 system just works for me no matter what. I even use my 9mm setup with the standard A5 buffer and have no issues at all.

Not needed? That's something that each user needs to decide for themselves. To me the A5 most definitely serves a purpose.

Todd00000
08-05-13, 08:05
Can you use the A5 buffer without the M16 buffer tube and spring?

Heavy Metal
08-05-13, 08:26
The a5 has its own buffer tube and uses the rifle spring. It uses no other tube but its own.

Todd00000
08-05-13, 08:34
The a5 has its own buffer tube and uses the rifle spring. It uses no other tube but its own.

Thanks.

krichbaum
08-05-13, 08:44
To expand on that a bit, the A5 buffer tube is 0.75" longer than the standard one. It has to be longer to accommodate the longer buffer. There is a specific A5 tube, but the AR10 tube will also work as its the same length. You just lose the first stock position hole IIRC (I'm using the AR10 tube on one of mine with a sopmod stock).

K.L. Davis
08-05-13, 10:17

The A5 system was developed to address a reliability issue with the collapsible stock on the M16 Rifle - and yes, during independent testing involving many, many thousands of rounds and a controlled group of test weapons, the A5 system did improve reliability significantly.

Hmac
08-05-13, 10:23
The A5 helps a little with recoil management. It's not a big deal, but there's no reason not to put one on other than spending the money. For me, the difference is noticeable enough that it was worth the $135 I spent on it.

glocktogo
08-05-13, 10:31

Reliability is only half the equation. If you don't like it, don't use it. :rolleyes:

BufordTJustice
08-05-13, 13:39

Because the carbine buffer system was well outside of the intended design envelope created by Stoner/Sullivan. The carbine RE, spring, and buffer was a red headed stepchild created by Colt in order to make a shorter, adjustable stock possible. If you know your history, you know that it took Colt about a decade of making this system before they could get it to function with any advertisable degree of "reliability".

It was a compromise then and it's still a compromise now. ;)

RogerinTPA
08-05-13, 17:20
The A5 helps a little with recoil management. It's not a big deal, but there's no reason not to put one on other than spending the money. For me, the difference is noticeable enough that it was worth the $135 I spent on it.

I don't own the A5, nor am I knocking it, but I have shot a carbine with one installed. I elected to go the Sprinco route instead. Not that the carbine platform was such an uncontrollable beast or had undesirable recoil to begin with, but the Sprinco springs, with the appropriate buffer weights, have practically had similar desired effects. As far as I could tell the recoil felt very similar, with the edge going to the A5. The enhanced buffer springs have made my carbines much smoother shooters and the system more optimized, at least for my needs. YMMV.

Boba Fett v2
08-05-13, 17:51
My understanding is that carbine length gas sytems benefit most from the A5, while the difference in performance is not as noticeable on mid-length systems. I have no experience with the A5, but based on my research, I feel my current set-up does warrant the upgrade.

glocktogo
08-05-13, 17:55
I don't own the A5, nor am I knocking it, but I have shot a carbine with one installed. I elected to go the Sprinco route instead. Not that the carbine platform was such an uncontrollable beast or had undesirable recoil to begin with, but the Sprinco springs, with the appropriate buffer weights, have practically had similar desired effects. As far as I could tell the recoil felt very similar, with the edge going to the A5. The enhanced buffer springs have made my carbines much smoother shooters and the system more optimized, at least for my needs. YMMV.

Heretic! Prepare for the Inquisition! :D

BufordTJustice
08-05-13, 17:58

I agree. If you're gonna stick with the carbine system, Springco's springs are top notch and very nearly mandatory IMHO.

Their 5-coil extractor springs are still my favorite and my go-to springs for my personal guns.

EDIT: I'll add that I've owned every single Springco Spring aside from the new .308-purposed "Orange"....and no combination of buffer weight or spring could achieve the same type of ultra-smooth recoil stroke as the A5 did in my BCM 14.5" middy. I also experimented with the Tubbs SSS CS flatwire spring, BCM spring, Brownells CS, etc. Every buffer weight from H->H3 and even one of Slash's SS body custom buffers also were tried.

I'm not saying that upgrading to the A5 is mandatory, but I spent a LOT of my own money only to discover that the A5 simply has no peer right now.

jaxman7
08-05-13, 19:19
The A5 more closely emulates Stoner's original design with the AR15. That CANNOT be a bad thing. I have one lower with an A5H3. With this particular lower it has locked back on last round and functioned perfectly with:

1. My two uppers that are 14.5 middys (DD & BCM barrels). One with a BCM BCG. The other a LMT E-Carrier

2. A 10.5 DD barrel (BCG unknown) with a can and without

3. A Colt HBAR upper.

4. Another Middy 14.5 (BCM barrel/BCG).

5. A Troy 16" middy upper.

6. A DD 16" carbine length (BCM BCG) gas gun

7. A 10.5" crappy way over gassed barrel with a BCM BCG

8. A BCM upper that has a 16" middy barrel

9. Spikes 14.5" middy barrel with a WMD nickel boron BCG.

This goes without saying that the other lower with an A5H2 works just as well. It works and works very well (while making the action slightly smoother) over a wide spectrum of upper configurations. I doubt many other setups can boast this performance.

-Jax

Ferris2son
08-05-13, 21:05
I use the A5 buffer system because a single buffer weight and spring combination works across a wider variety of variables that affect function. I'm always swapping lowers and uppers, shooting suppressed and unsuppressed, shooting different ammo, etc. The A5 system just works for me no matter what. I even use my 9mm setup with the standard A5 buffer and have no issues at all.

Not needed? That's something that each user needs to decide for themselves. To me the A5 most definitely serves a purpose.

What he said. Very true.

RogerinTPA
08-05-13, 22:40
Heretic! Prepare for the Inquisition! :D

I know right? It's such a small sin, I figured I'd be forgiven on the lines of economic practicality. FWIW, I've dropped a metric ass ton of money over the years, into these weapons and what we do here, so I figured I'd finally give frugality and practicality a shot...Next up, selling off weapons that rarely get shot.:fie:

drtywk
08-05-13, 22:59
I have read through all of the threads related to this piece of kit and am still trying to figure out which spring (Springco or factory) and buffer combination is recommended for a suppressed/unsuppressed 14.7 in upper with a carbine length gas system. What say ye?

Boba Fett v2
08-05-13, 23:50
I'd consider adding one on a future project. Right now my SR-15 will reliably eat anything I feed it, and since it's a perfectly tuned rifle out of the box I want to ensure it stays that way. God forbid there come a day when I can't pick and choose the type of ammo it gets fed, and I'm left with no other choice but to use whatever I can find, whether it be cheap Russian steel case stuff or whatever. I've learned that adding an A5 will make the SR-15 a more finicky eater. I don't want finicky. I need reliability. No need to fix what ain't broke just for a marginal gain in recoil management. And I really don't have the time nor energy to find the perfect spring/buffer/ammo combo to make the A5 work right on my gun. However, I'm very interested in trying it out on a future build down the road. I'm sure it's everything folks make it out to be.

Badger89
08-06-13, 00:39
Can you use the A5 buffer without the M16 buffer tube and spring?

To expand on that a bit, the A5 buffer tube is 0.75" longer than the standard one. It has to be longer to accommodate the longer buffer. There is a specific A5 tube, but the AR10 tube will also work as its the same length. You just lose the first stock position hole IIRC (I'm using the AR10 tube on one of mine with a sopmod stock).
To expand on this a bit more, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrVJT4UU10

Ferris2son
08-06-13, 23:37
Well done T&E on the A5.

Intro-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njaLucvpEV0

Test-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7IoXcLm_2g&feature=player_embedded

nickdrak
08-07-13, 00:44
Alright, so I'm in the process of building up a new lower from parts. I thinking of setting it up with the A5 system. The upper it will be dedicated to is my 16" Noveske LW Mid length SS barrel, WMD Guns auto carrier, BattleComp. What would the recommended buffer set-up be?

I also remember reading somewhere that you can run the iMod stock on the A5 instead of the longer EMod? I might have dreamt it but is there a specific A5 buffer tube designed to work specifically with the shorter iMod.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hmac
08-07-13, 04:39
Alright, so I'm in the process of building up a new lower from parts. I thinking of setting it up with the A5 system. The upper it will be dedicated to is my 16" Noveske LW Mid length SS barrel, WMD Guns auto carrier, BattleComp. What would the recommended buffer set-up be?

I also remember reading somewhere that you can run the iMod stock on the A5 instead of the longer EMod? I might have dreamt it but is there a specific A5 buffer tube designed to work specifically with the shorter iMod.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you're building a lower, no reason not to use an A5. Noveske mid length gas systems are designed to work well with rifle buffers, and indeed my 16-inch Light Recce has worked great with a standard A5 over 5000 rounds, two carbine courses.

There's only one A5 buffer tube. It works fine with any stock, but the tube itself is slightly longer than a standard carbine tube so a standard-length stock is slightly too short to close fully. On my A5, I just used the regular iMod that I already had. Only difference is a slightly larger gap between stock and endplate in the fully-collapsed position. The VLTOR tubes have position numbers on them which show through a little window on VLTOR stocks. Nice little touch.

vicious_cb
08-07-13, 06:28
For those who say that their AR is reliable enough without an A5 RE, Im not sure how you would notice an increase in reliability unless you had a problematic gun in the first place or are constantly running your gun in extreme conditions.

I believe there is a SME on here who ran a HK 416 10.3" suppressed upper on both the stock RE and buffer combination as well as an A5 and found that lowered the cyclic rate and decreased the number of malfunctions in full auto use.

It is also proven that the A5 does increase controllability no matter how small the increase maybe. Its probably safe to say that most shooters are not yet at the level where the small reduction in recoil is enough to show a significant decrease in split times but can be a god send for those who do, especially if they do not wish to use an obnoxious muzzle device to lessen recoil.

nml
08-07-13, 07:28
If you're building a lower, no reason not to use an A5.
1. "A standard-length stock is too short to close fully."
2. Not shooting suppressed. I don't know of real uppers that would have cyclic rate issues running H or H2 and AFAIK most guns have the gas ports tuned from the shop for those.
3. You're paying over $40 for a buffer, although they do have a few more pieces.

Hmac
08-07-13, 09:15
2. Not shooting suppressed. I don't know of real uppers that would have cyclic rate issues running H or H2 and AFAIK most guns have the gas ports tuned from the shop for those.
3. You're paying over $40 for a buffer, although they do have a few more pieces.

Yeah, people don't get it. The only change is that the very shortest length of pull, available only on a carbine buffer tube, is no longer available. If you just have to shoot your rifle with the stock completely collapsed, position 1, then the A5 isn't for you. If you shoot with your stock at position 2 or greater then it makes no difference. The A5 eMod stock is a little longer than a regular VLTOR stock so that when fully collapsed, the stock is flush with the endplate. If that cosmetic-only gap is important to you then the A5 isn't a good choice.

I can't speak to suppressors...don't use 'em.

The increased cost is of no importance to me if I get sufficient value out of the device, and I do. If I had to make up the difference, I'd save the money by getting MBUS for my useless backup sights instead of Troy.

peabody
08-08-13, 07:30
i run tubbs flatwire recoil spring and H3 buffer..standard carbean stock.
runs perfect.
on a rifle length green mountain pencil barrel upper.

dentron
08-08-13, 08:03
i run tubbs flatwire recoil spring and H3 buffer..standard carbean stock.
runs perfect.
on a rifle length green mountain pencil barrel upper.

Have you tried an A5 on that setup?
can you compare that setup with the A5 and show any data or experience that would show it is better or worse?
the reason why I ask is there are members on here that have documented their success with multiple upper setups. And your success with one set up does not mean the A5 doest not work, it might even work better. Without data you dont know.

vicious_cb
08-08-13, 08:16

As for number 2, I suppose enhanced buffer springs and heavy buffers are only for those running suppressed too right? :rolleyes:

BufordTJustice
08-08-13, 08:21
I have a close friend who uses the tubbs and an h3. I used to use that as well. The A5 is superior in terms of shootability, though both ran well on 16" & 14.5" BCM middy uppers. My bud uses a BCM 16" middy as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Swamp Yankee
08-08-13, 08:33
Just snagged a A5 spring and buffer kit from the BCM web site. Looks like they are still in stock for anyone interested!

Looking forward to trying this out on a 16" 6920.

TurretGunner
08-08-13, 16:49
I must be one of the super rare people that have built dozens of rifles in various configurations and gas systems.......and have never had buffer related issues. Carbine, H, H2, whatever is on hand at the time.

Iraqgunz
08-08-13, 17:51
It's not about problems. I agree that one could build a lower using a standard tube and buffer (H, H2, H3) and the rifle/carbine would be just fine.

But, the A5 when done correctly will allow you to use a wide variety of uppers on one lower. In my experience with it, it almost guarantees that you will have more reliability and control.

I suspect that most of the experience you have is also with military weapons where there is virtually no difference in port sizes, operating systems, etc....

I must be one of the super rare people that have built dozens of rifles in various configurations and gas systems.......and have never had buffer related issues. Carbine, H, H2, whatever is on hand at the time.

peabody
08-08-13, 18:56
Have you tried an A5 on that setup?
can you compare that setup with the A5 and show any data or experience that would show it is better or worse?
the reason why I ask is there are members on here that have documented their success with multiple upper setups. And your success with one set up does not mean the A5 doest not work, it might even work better. Without data you dont know.

this is true .. i have no experience with an A5 .
never have seen one.
i prolly wont either. thats kinda expensive.
Canada has used a plain ol carbean stock for years in their military.
mine works just fine. like ive said it works.
it ain't broke.. so ? why ?

gun71530
08-08-13, 19:04
I find it interesting that the people that keep bringing up the cost of the A5, have no issue dropping $150 on a muzzle device.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

peabody
08-08-13, 19:24
Did I miss something? Why all the booing of the A5 all of a sudden? I thought the general consensus was that they are beneficial for reducing recoil, eliminating bolt bounce (with the right buffer), improving reliability and contributing to more consistant cycling overall? Now were talking like Vltor is selling overpriced snake oil? Sure a carbine RE works, but so does an SKS... that doesnt mean there isnt a better design out there that works better.

but ? for someone like me ? an old farmer out in the hills...
who shoots ....( maybe ) ??? three boxes of ammo a year ?
could be snake oil ..
my setup works slick.. and i really dont want to spend any more money.
remember ...im the guy who likes del ton and model 1 sales....ha !!
its all good.. everyone can spend their money as they wish.
cheers.

peabody

jmk
08-08-13, 19:30
seems like the original purpose was to make 20in rifles work with carbine-length collapsible stocks.
this was of interest to the USMC and .CA.

since i'm probably one of the 7 people who actually bought a 20in upper (two, actually), i appreciate this system.
considering other priorities, i'm running an A1 length (vltor) stock on my rifle lower , and an H3 buffer in the carbine lower.
so far, the H3 is working well, and the A1 is is an acceptable compromise albeit still a bit too long.

the vltor a5 is definitely on my wish list to eliminate the above compromises.

RogerinTPA
08-08-13, 20:00
this is true .. i have no experience with an A5 .
never have seen one.
i prolly wont either. thats kinda expensive.
Canada has used a plain ol carbean stock for years in their military.
mine works just fine. like ive said it works.
it ain't broke.. so ? why ?

I think we can all agree that for the overwhelming majority of us, a standard carbine spring and an H, H2, or H3 buffer has served us well for years. Vltor came up with an answer to the issues for the full sized M16A2 with the A5. Of course, it's only natural that more than a few would try to fuse that innovation with the carbine. After all, once you install it, you'll never have to replace the rifle length spring again, and you get the benefits of a very smooth recoil. I can see it taking off in the tactical community, as well as the 3 gun crowd. We as a forum are normally in the pursuit of the next greatest widget that can add to our capability and efficiency. I went the Sprinco route to accomplish a similar result, but I'm not discounting the A5, nor am I saying I won't eventually add one to one of my weapons. When I first joined, people were talking up CProd mags as the end all be all for Christ's sake. Things evolve, and times change, but in the end, to each is own.

Iraqgunz
08-09-13, 00:21
I have a 20" FN upper that I run with an A5 and -3 buffer.

seems like the original purpose was to make 20in rifles work with carbine-length collapsible stocks.
this was of interest to the USMC and .CA.

since i'm probably one of the 7 people who actually bought a 20in upper (two, actually), i appreciate this system.
considering other priorities, i'm running an A1 length (vltor) stock on my rifle lower , and an H3 buffer in the carbine lower.
so far, the H3 is working well, and the A1 is is an acceptable compromise albeit still a bit too long.

the vltor a5 is definitely on my wish list to eliminate the above compromises.

TurretGunner
08-09-13, 06:08
It's not about problems. I agree that one could build a lower using a standard tube and buffer (H, H2, H3) and the rifle/carbine would be just fine.

But, the A5 when done correctly will allow you to use a wide variety of uppers on one lower. In my experience with it, it almost guarantees that you will have more reliability and control.

I suspect that most of the experience you have is also with military weapons where there is virtually no difference in port sizes, operating systems, etc....

Point very well taken. I have built a number of civy guns as well, but like you said, most prob used same port size (No 7.5-10.5" uppers)

TurretGunner
08-09-13, 06:12
muzzle device 150 bucks ..are you serious ?
wow

I'm gonna have to research that..that's crazy !!
i just use an A2 or A1 ..or a simple thread protector..made by the local machine shop.
back to the A5 .. i guess i don't need one.

A good muzzle device will serve two purposes on an AR

1. Follow up shots. Using something like the BC or Dynacomp, you will eliminate most of the barrel rise and be able to get back on target much quicker. Shoot two side by side, and you can notice the difference. On a .308 AR, it will tame a good amount of recoil and do the same as above. I use the dyna on one of my .308AR's and its a huge difference. Pretty much same/similar design as a BC, so $90 is better than $200.

2. Can Mounts. Good QD cans use good mounts. If you want something that is quality, you are going to pay. Look at surefire's mounts. Very good stand alone brakes, that lock up rock solid when you throw the can on there.

vicious_cb
08-09-13, 06:29
A good muzzle device will serve two purposes on an AR

1. Follow up shots. Using something like the BC or Dynacomp, you will eliminate most of the barrel rise and be able to get back on target much quicker. Shoot two side by side, and you can notice the difference. On a .308 AR, it will tame a good amount of recoil and do the same as above. I use the dyna on one of my .308AR's and its a huge difference. Pretty much same/similar design as a BC, so $90 is better than $200.

2. Can Mounts. Good QD cans use good mounts. If you want something that is quality, you are going to pay. Look at surefire's mounts. Very good stand alone brakes, that lock up rock solid when you throw the can on there.

If you have to explain the benefits of a muzzle brake to someone its probably because they are either new to firearms or do not care enough about enhancing their weapon or their personal skills thus trying to explain the benefits of the A5 is lost to them.

nml
08-09-13, 08:58
As for number 2, I suppose enhanced buffer springs and heavy buffers are only for those running suppressed too right?I mentioned both H and H2 buffers? If gas port size is ideal you would use a heavier action spring??

vicious_cb
08-09-13, 09:12
I mentioned both H and H2 buffers? If gas port size is ideal you would use a heavier action spring??

No what Im trying to say is if the carbine buffer system is so perfect why are there a myriad of different types of buffers and so many different kinds of extra power springs? Why constantly tweak your buffer system for different barrel lengths, gas port sizes and running suppressed or unsuppressed?

nml
08-09-13, 10:48
Not my department. Simply listed 3 reasons in response to "if you're building a lower, no reason not to use an A5"---one of which is I have not had issues unsuppressed using the recommend heavy buffer specified by the people that drilled the gas port. Not a condemnation of the A5 or a slight against those that use it.

Iraqgunz
08-09-13, 14:50
The various buffers are due to the differences in barrel lengths, operating systems and port sizes.

If you use Colt as the baseline and look at what they sell and what buffers they use then you have an idea.

The reason there are various springs just like everything else is because of a persons desire to tinker. Admittedly some springs do work very well and have a purpose.

No what Im trying to say is if the carbine buffer system is so perfect why are there a myriad of different types of buffers and so many different kinds of extra power springs? Why constantly tweak your buffer system for different barrel lengths, gas port sizes and running suppressed or unsuppressed?

vicious_cb
08-09-13, 20:22
The various buffers are due to the differences in barrel lengths, operating systems and port sizes.

If you use Colt as the baseline and look at what they sell and what buffers they use then you have an idea.

The reason there are various springs just like everything else is because of a persons desire to tinker. Admittedly some springs do work very well and have a purpose.

The point I was trying to make is why constantly tweak your buffer system for every upper you own when you can simply use an A5 as a universal system. No need to worry about matching your different buffer systems to your uppers.

Clint
08-09-13, 21:40
The point I was trying to make is why constantly tweak your buffer system of every upper you own when you can simply use an A5 as a universal system. No need to worry about matching your different buffer systems to your uppers.

Just like the rifle buffer.

There is really only one flavor, and it just works.

The A5 actually improves on the rifle buffer with the addition of a biasing spring.

Markm has a little pile of these somewhere, if anyone wants one :-)

A biasing spring can easily be added to the rifle buffer to achieve the same effect.

Looking back at history, all these different CAR weight buffers just have users and Mfgs chasing their collective tails on tuning and gas port size selection.

I firmly believe that a full weight buffer is extremely beneficial / necessary for proper operation of the AR across a wide variety of conditions, especially as barrel lengths and gas system lengths get shorter.

The standard weight (original design) delays opening and extraction enough to make cycling very consistent.

These lighter weight buffers make actions open faster and shortcut the normal extraction process, leading to trouble.

Time to unlock is affected by:
BCG mass
Gas system length
Gas port size
Cam track length

So, to delay unlocking the most, you want the highest mass, longest gas system, smallest gas port and longest cam track you can get that will still cycle the action.

glocktogo
08-09-13, 23:29
Just like the rifle buffer.

There is really only one flavor, and it just works.

The A5 actually improves on the rifle buffer with the addition of a biasing spring.

Markm has a little pile of these somewhere, if anyone wants one :-)

A biasing spring can easily be added to the rifle buffer to achieve the same effect.

Looking back at history, all these different CAR weight buffers just have users and Mfgs chasing their collective tails on tuning and gas port size selection.

I firmly believe that a full weight buffer is extremely beneficial / necessary for proper operation of the AR across a wide variety of conditions, especially as barrel lengths and gas system lengths get shorter.

The standard weight (original design) delays opening and extraction enough to make cycling very consistent.

These lighter weight buffers make actions open faster and shortcut the normal extraction process, leading to trouble.

Time to unlock is affected by:
BCG mass
Gas system length
Gas port size
Cam track length

So, to delay unlocking the most, you want the highest mass, longest gas system, smallest gas port and longest cam track you can get that will still cycle the action.

Well DSG just sent me my A5 RE last week, but the buffers & springs are still on backorder (since December 2012 for my order). I just hope Vltor gets them out in the next few weeks. :D

gesundheit
08-10-13, 01:12

Another variable to consider is the application of the AR. I happened upon similar discussion among the 3-Gun crowd about the relative merits of different buffers. Some interesting, albeit unscientific, observations there

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113203

P.S. glocktogo rogtac has the A5 buffer and spring in stock.

nickdrak
09-12-13, 13:19
So for a 16" Noveske middy which A5 buffer should I run??? A5 H2 (5.3oz) or heavier?

Koshinn
09-12-13, 13:49
So for a 16" Noveske middy which A5 buffer should I run??? A5 H2 (5.3oz) or heavier?

I think I heard somewhere that all Noveske uppers work with the A5H2.

nickdrak
09-12-13, 17:56

Thanks,
Just ordered my A5 buffer/spring kit from ROG Tac who has them along with the 7 position A5 tubes in-stock.

Midway USA & Bravo Co. also have the 7 position tubes in-stock.

Shoulderthinggoesup
09-12-13, 18:37
I use an a5 with my noveske n4 16 inch middy barrelled home build. Shoots like a dream and has been 100% reliable with everything I put in it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Hmac
09-12-13, 18:45

I contacted Noveske about that a couple of years ago and was assured by Todd K. that all Noveske N4s are designed to work with rifle buffers. Since then, almost 10,000 rounds, I have found that to be completely true. The A5 on my Light Recce midlength has worked perfectly.

Boba Fett v2
09-12-13, 19:06

My 11.5" Noveske upper build-in-progress will be running with the A5 system: RE10/A5 receiver extension, Springco Green spring, and A5H2 buffer. From my research I anticipate it should run without issue.

glocktogo
09-12-13, 20:58
Another variable to consider is the application of the AR. I happened upon similar discussion among the 3-Gun crowd about the relative merits of different buffers. Some interesting, albeit unscientific, observations there

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113203

P.S. glocktogo rogtac has the A5 buffer and spring in stock.

Thanks for the heads up! I may have to cancel my backorder from February with DSG, but they are considerably cheaper and they've treated me very well as a customer.

nickdrak
11-05-13, 11:58
Finally got my other stripped Noveske GenII lower together with the VLTOR A5 recoil kit installed and I gotta say DAYUUUM! This thing shoots smooth and flat as all hell in-conjunction with the BattleComp 2.0

Ran a bunch of drills, but during the 5yd string of the VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 drill (10rds in 2.5sec from 5yds) I couldn't believe how flat my gun was shooting. Didnt move at all.

Very happy with the A5 and plan to swap another A5 onto my other lower on my 14.5" gun as well.

glocktogo
11-05-13, 12:07
Finally got my other stripped Noveske GenII lower together with the VLTOR A5 recoil kit installed and I gotta say DAYUUUM! This thing shoots smooth and flat as all hell in-conjunction with the BattleComp 1.5

Ran a bunch of drills, but during the 5yd string of the VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 drill (10rds in 2.5sec from 5yds) I couldn't believe how flat my gun was shooting. Didnt move at all.

Very happy with the A5 and plan to swap another A5 onto my other lower on my 14.5" gun as well.

Yep. Got mine installed on my middy 6.8 build. Shooting side by side next to my cousin's 6.8 middy (with identical BCG's and muzzle devices), the difference between his "H" buffer carbine setup and the A5 is noticeable.