View Full Version : Ice arms

Jimbob488
08-04-13, 01:31
I'm new to ar rifles. Any thoughts on the ice arms bolt carrier group?

maw1777
08-04-13, 02:57

There was an entire thread on this 2 weeks ago. It seems there was mixed opinions on it.

Col_Crocs
08-04-13, 03:13
There are waaaay better options out there... You want a bolt made from Carpenter 158 steel, not 9310 and especially not 4140 like there budget BCG.
Check out the ones by BCM, DD or Colt. This and the barrel are 2 critical pieces you dont want to skimp on.

ICEarms
08-08-13, 09:41
There are waaaay better options out there... You want a bolt made from Carpenter 158 steel, not 9310 and especially not 4140 like there budget BCG.
Check out the ones by BCM, DD or Colt. This and the barrel are 2 critical pieces you dont want to skimp on.

We do offer C158 bolts, in addition to the other alloys :)

223to45
08-08-13, 11:08

Just curious , if you are so new to AR's how did you find ICE arms, through all of the other companys that pop up first??

I just heard of them through this post and realized they are right in my back yard.

HuntingTime
08-08-13, 11:29
The BCG looks questionable at best, but they do seem to be putting out some innovative products. The had an piston upper out that definitely looks interesting.

Grand58742
08-08-13, 11:39
We do offer C158 bolts, in addition to the other alloys :)

Looking at your site, do you MPI them? I see the blems are marked as having HPT, but no mention of MPI.

WS6
08-08-13, 11:40
Looking at your site, do you MPI them? I see the blems are marked as having HPT, but no mention of MPI.

HPT is totally senseless without MPI

Grand58742
08-08-13, 12:02
HPT is totally senseless without MPI

Was kind of thinking the same thing.

ICEarms
08-08-13, 13:20

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/zacheb/20130808_131747_zps4f1971ab.jpg

Absolutely! The descriptions of all our BCGs should indicate that all the bolts are HPT/MPI.

ICEarms
08-08-13, 13:23
The BCG looks questionable at best, but they do seem to be putting out some innovative products. The had an piston upper out that definitely looks interesting.

I'm admittedly a biased party (since I'm the one doing all our BCGs), but we have changed our assembly process in the last few weeks and are putting out product of significantly higher quality and consistency. While they may not be the prettiest girl at the ball, all our BCGs are being assembled to proper specification and are checked for fit and function in a factory-assembled, quality rifle.

Voodoochild
08-08-13, 13:44
ICEarms.. Rule 5.. Please make the necessary..

5) Industry Disclosure – If you are an industry manufacturer/dealer or employed by one you must disclose this relationship through your screen name or signature line. Anonymous industry trolling will not be allowed.

ICEarms
08-08-13, 15:13
ICEarms.. Rule 5.. Please make the necessary..

5) Industry Disclosure – If you are an industry manufacturer/dealer or employed by one you must disclose this relationship through your screen name or signature line. Anonymous industry trolling will not be allowed.

Whoops, sorry -- I was told this was set up and ready to go. I'll take care of that.

maw1777
08-08-13, 15:59
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/zacheb/20130808_131747_zps4f1971ab.jpg

Absolutely! The descriptions of all our BCGs should indicate that all the bolts are HPT/MPI.

I'll try one of these bolts out. Looks gtg.

Col_Crocs
08-08-13, 19:46
Nice to see a manufacturer come aboard to chime in.
We're generally a skeptical crowd but I think you do have some interesting offerings... Perhaps you could discuss the whats and whys of the specs of your different product offerings?

ETA: took out the portion of my post which might be misconstrued as being condescending. Not my intention, ICEarms.

tmoore912
08-08-13, 20:19
ICEarms,

Can you provide us a picture of what your staking of the carrier key screws looks like?

Preferably for the Phosphate M-16 Bolt Carrier Group, C-158 Bolt

Thank you.

ICEarms
08-08-13, 20:21
ICEarms,

Can you provide us a picture of what your staking of the carrier key screws looks like? Thank you.

No reason we can't. Give me just a moment to hunt one up.

Sent from the ICE Arms Customer Service Cave.

Col_Crocs
08-08-13, 23:29
A few questions on your melonite cmv barrels...
- do you nitride prior to barrel extension installation?
- are the barrel extensions nitrided as well or just parked? They look different from the rest of the barrel.
- what port size do you run on the 16" and 11.5" barrels, respectively?
- are these HPT'd and MP'd?

ICEarms
08-14-13, 21:51
A few questions on your melonite cmv barrels...
- do you nitride prior to barrel extension installation?
- are the barrel extensions nitrided as well or just parked? They look different from the rest of the barrel.
- what port size do you run on the 16" and 11.5" barrels, respectively?
- are these HPT'd and MP'd?

Sorry for the delay.

-Yes
-Yes, nitrided not parked.
-I'm going to be honest, I've never been asked about the 16" or 11. 5". It's always the 7.5" that I'm asked about. I'll have to check.
-Yes to both.

Tzook
08-14-13, 22:37
Your bolts definitely look good to go, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Col_Crocs
08-15-13, 00:21
thanks for the response. What's your take on reports of nitriding making barrel extensions brittle? I think i read that in the old nitriding thread.

ICEarms
08-15-13, 00:24
thanks for the response. What's your take on reports of nitriding making barrel extensions brittle? I think i read that in the old nitriding thread.

Maybe if you heat treat the barrel extensions, then melonite them after. They'd probably lose their temper, I'd think.

Col_Crocs
08-16-13, 18:51
Oh ok. So how do you do your extensions?
I hope you dont mind me asking but do you not spec these things out for the GM to manufacture?