PDA

View Full Version : Nick named "MUTT".

LE6920MAN
08-04-13, 16:40
This is my first post here on M4Carbine.net. besides the gallery. The gun on the right of the LE6920 is my first scratch build. The reason for building this configuration is that I am 5' 6" and with short arms compared to my body frame. I wanted a gun that fit me well and balanced at the same time, plus always being the same whenever it's put to use. I live in Michigan where we are not allowed SBR's. Some one nick named this gun "Mutt" and I liked that. I tried the AR Pistol route and just wasn't satisfied, although I am now considering a Scratch build pistol. It's a good solid and so far dependable build. This morning it just hit 500 problem free rounds. Parts run down are as follows.

Barrel: 11 1/2" DPMS, 1 in 9" twist, Chrome chamber and bore, Pinned and welded flash hider to bring barrel length to 16" state requirement.
XS Sights 24/7 3/32" white stripe with tritium insert.

UPPER: Stag A2 receiver, DPMS parts. A2 NM Rear sight, AR Stoner bolt and carrier.

LOWER: S&W MP, Daniel Defense lower parts kit, A2 stubby stock, Tomorrow a CMC Tactical 4lb. trigger is being delivered for it for the finale tough.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/rep1954/IMG_1083.jpg (http://s450.photobucket.com/user/rep1954/media/IMG_1083.jpg.html)

_Stormin_
08-04-13, 23:00
Because I am the curious type... Why go with a 4.5" muzzle device rather than a 14.5" or 16" barrel and a standard muzzle device?

LE6920MAN
08-05-13, 04:18
Two reasons one was for balance. Keeping the barrel weight back as far as you can when using a short stock helps keep the gun from feeling muzzle heavy. Two I wanted a gun that was as short as I could reasonably make it for use indoors.

foxtrotx1
08-05-13, 04:43
Two reasons one was for balance. Keeping the barrel weight back as far as you can when using a short stock helps keep the gun from feeling muzzle heavy. Two I wanted a gun that was as short as I could reasonably make it for use indoors.

So instead of going with a 14.5 pinned, you lost 3 inches of usable barrel, for more noise, flash and less velocity?

Col_Crocs
08-05-13, 05:36
A LW 14.5 would've accomplished the same balance without the impractical sacrifice of a perceived-short-barrel. Not that a standard profile 14.5 is all that heavy to begin with.
I wasn't going to ask but how'd you end up with those part, coming from a 6920?

LE6920MAN
08-05-13, 18:54
I haven't notice much difference when shooting my 6920 and MUTT but then again I concentrate on things like target, sights, and trigger while I am shooting. For sure the muzzle blast and noise compare nothing to the AR pistols I have shot. After shooting Large bore handguns for 35 years what some perceive as intolerable means nothing to others. Like getting a splinter in your finger some people pull out their pocket knife and carve it out while others run in the house and have their wife drive them to the emergency room. In a few years this rifle will reside in Tennessee where the long flash hider will be replaced with an A2 flash hider and be a registered SRB. As for velocity being used within 100 yards there is no meaningful perceived loss there.

Airhasz
08-05-13, 20:45
I haven't notice much difference when shooting my 6920 and MUTT but then again I concentrate on things like target, sights, and trigger while I am shooting. For sure the muzzle blast and noise compare nothing to the AR pistols I have shot. After shooting Large bore handguns for 35 years what some perceive as intolerable means nothing to others. Like getting a splinter in your finger some people pull out their pocket knife and carve it out while others run in the house and have their wife drive them to the emergency room. In a few years this rifle will reside in Tennessee where the long flash hider will be replaced with an A2 flash hider and be a registered SRB. As for velocity being used within 100 yards there is no meaningful perceived loss there.

Sounds like you got it all figured out...

Vec
08-05-13, 20:50
whats the weight on it without mag?

LE6920MAN
08-05-13, 21:28
6 1/2 lbs. about the only to save any weight would be going to polymers and a light weight barrel. The barrel I used is a heavy contour. I just installed my CMC Tactical trigger and it feels nice cant wait to get back out to the range.

masakari
08-05-13, 23:20
Although I like your rifle, I agree that a lightweight 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider would be a far better option. I also think that an A1 upper would be more fitting. In fact, with that short of a stock, a flat top upper with Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight mounted forward on the receiver would be even better.
Otherwise, it seems like an excellent and simple setup.
I am in Michigan now as well (west, between Muskegon and Ludington) and I am very dissatisfied with the ban on SBR and SBS.

Tzook
08-07-13, 09:28
No offense to you, but if you intend to SBR that thing I'd swap some parts out for higher quality stuff before you're stuck with it forever

CCK
08-07-13, 09:30
Sounds like you got it all figured out...

He doesn't know what he doesn't know and has no intellectual curiosity to find out.

Doc. Holiday
08-07-13, 12:47
No need to bash a new guy or assume he will never learn. He will continue to grow his knowledge as he continues to read here on the forums and continues to do his own "do-diligence". Welcome to M4Carbine.

LE6920MAN
08-07-13, 18:24
Doc don't worry this ain't my first forum, I've learn to write such people like this off right away. As it stands today I've got a little over $800.00 into the gun with the new trigger, which bay the way turned it into a real joy to shoot offhand.