PDA

View Full Version : 9mm brass out of glock not reloadable?

Chachi52
08-04-13, 19:23
I have a buddy who is adamant that my brass from a glock 19 is not reload able....something to do with it not being able
To be resized Correctly? Is this true? Sounds bogus

Wake27
08-04-13, 19:26
There is no way that every piece of brass from a Glock 9mm is non-reloadable.

Nightvisionary
08-04-13, 19:30
Your friend is highly misinformed.

mdain
08-04-13, 19:41
By chance, is your friend saving you from the potential calamity of reloading Glock brass by "throwing it away" for you?

Chachi52
08-04-13, 19:45
I see where you are heading with that idea, and now feel dumb for
Having asked this....thanks for the answers...I thought it sounded off so what better place to ask

SPQR476
08-04-13, 19:48
.40 brass is problematic due to the guppy belly from the unsupported chamber. 9 and .45 are just fine. I've reloaded at least 10k rounds of each from brass out of my glocks, sooooo....

m1a_scoutguy
08-04-13, 20:23
Your friend is highly misinformed.

.40 brass is problematic due to the guppy belly from the unsupported chamber. 9 and .45 are just fine. I've reloaded at least 10k rounds of each from brass out of my glocks, sooooo....

Yea,,you will be good to go !!! I have shot "Thousands" of reloads out of my G17 !!! There are a couple of problematic brands of brass,,CBC to name one,,a few others but can't recall them at the moment !! Be safe,,pay attention and you will be fine !!! :)

MAP
08-04-13, 21:31
If you have a problem resizing 9mm brass from a Glock get a Lee Undersized die and your problems are solved.

Mike

SeriousStudent
08-04-13, 21:54
Mike, thanks very much for that tip. I've been a dilligent range chicken these past 8 months, and have a goodly supply of brass to start reloading. I'll snag one of those Lee dies.

T2C
08-04-13, 22:07
I have a buddy who is adamant that my brass from a glock 19 is not reload able....something to do with it not being able

I have loaded thousands of 9mm and .40 S&W rounds using brass fired from Glock pistols. I shoot my reloads in several pistols, so I use a small base sizing die to ensure the ammunition will feed in anything.

If you get into loading .40 S&W, scrap the brass after a few reloads.

Airhasz
08-04-13, 23:21
Op, disregard your buddies advice and examine your brass for signs of excess pressure. If none is observed, save them for reloading. I've reloaded thousands of rounds from my Glock 19 and have zero problems.

morpheus6d9
08-05-13, 01:16
I use reloads on my g17 no problems

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

ST911
08-05-13, 09:39

He is wrong.

But if you are in the mood to play, ask him to walk you through the tech aspects of his argument.

T2C
08-05-13, 09:45
Do your buddy a favor and police up the once fired brass from his Glock 19 and dispose of it for him. You could store it with your reloading components.

glocktogo
08-05-13, 10:41
Yea,,you will be good to go !!! I have shot "Thousands" of reloads out of my G17 !!! There are a couple of problematic brands of brass,,CBC to name one,,a few others but can't recall them at the moment !! Be safe,,pay attention and you will be fine !!! :)

What problems have you had with CBC brass? I ask because I've used it in 9mm and .45ACP a LOT with no issues whatsoever. :confused:

Chachi52
08-05-13, 11:26
I wil have to get the details Exactly as tO what he thinks the issue is again...I will let you guys know what his crazy made up reason is...

Labayu
08-05-13, 15:53
I reuse Glock brass almost exclusively and when the mouth gets too thin I trim them down for 9x18 Makarov and get another dozen uses out of them.

Your friend doesn't own a full length sizing die apparently.

MAP
08-05-13, 17:37
I'll expand on the 9mm brass bulge. Some brass from 9mm Glocks do have a bulge that a standard resizing die will not eliminate. From my Glocks this runs about 3%. If you are not having problems don't worry about it. If you do have issues resizing 9mm brass the Lee undersized die is the cure. You can back order one from Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386755/lee-u-carbide-small-base-sizing-die-9mm-luger.

There is a great discussion of 9mm brass bulge at the following link. http://www.ar-15.co/threads/102277-9mm-Brass-Bulge.

Good luck,

Mike

tommyrott
08-05-13, 19:11
it is preety much an issue with 40 brass which is cured by running it through a redding full length sizer die which is a push through die and then you continue with buissness as usual, been shootin reloads through my glock for the last 4 years jacketed bullets only though

Doug in Alaska
08-05-13, 21:37
I reload for all my Glocks, including my wife's G27 and have never had a problem. I do use a Wilson case gauge to double check.

Airhasz
08-06-13, 02:32
I reload for all my Glocks, including my wife's G27 and have never had a problem. I do use a Wilson case gauge to double check.

Do you use the case gauge to check every bullet or just a few to make sure your die is set up correctly and then check periodically? I just use a caliper and do not have a case gauge.

Doug in Alaska
08-06-13, 08:24
Do you use the case gauge to check every bullet or just a few to make sure your die is set up correctly and then check periodically? I just use a caliper and do not have a case gauge.

I use it to check every round. I usually load in 500 round sessions so it doesn't take that long to do. It may be a waist of time as they usually all pass the test.

Raven Armament
08-06-13, 09:51
it is preety much an issue with 40 brass which is cured by running it through a redding full length sizer die which is a push through die and then you continue with buissness as usual, been shootin reloads through my glock for the last 4 years jacketed bullets only though
The Redding full length sizer die is not a push through die. You're thinking of the Redding G-RX die. The full length sizer die is the standard die in a reloading die set. This die alone should remove any small bulge in the case without needing to waste money on another sizing die to do what the full length sizing die already does. Some people like to spend money on peace of mind products, and that's fine. I've reloaded .40 S&W commercially for a few years, including reloading for local LE .40 caliber Glocks, and never had an issue using the standard Redding sizing die that comes in the die set.

yellowfin
08-06-13, 23:48
I pick up range brass all the time and when I'm loading it for my .40 I run it through a Lee Bulge Buster die and it gets rid of the problem for the most part. I'll check them now afterwards with the barrel I'm loading it for as a case gauge and after the Bulge Buster they're good to go. Haven't had any problems with 9mm from Glocks, as I use a 4 die Lee set that includes a factory crimp die.

Toxa
08-07-13, 19:09

My 19 didn't know about that. Loaded well over 2k rounds for it, some on the 10th loading.
Does he have a first had experience with it, or did he read that on the interwebs?

SWThomas
08-07-13, 19:42
He probably heard some rumor somewhere and just repeated it.

shootist~
08-08-13, 15:22
Dillon carbide pistol sizer dies work well here. They are normally set up a full turn off the shell plate. If you need to slightly excess size brass or remove bulges from a batch of old brass, just screw them down a little more.

I did this with a older batch of 9mm brass (from a BHP) recently. Bulges at the web were preventing them from passing a case gauge test. .40 could be different, but I use 9mm Glock brass for my 9mm Walther PPQ with no issues.

iainmcphersn
08-08-13, 17:55
I've reloaded for my Glocks for years. Tens of thousands of rounds. I have had one case failure in all that time and there was no damage to the gun that I could see. I routinely use range pickup brass so I don't know where that case came from.

J-cat
09-29-13, 10:40
I'll expand on the 9mm brass bulge. Some brass from 9mm Glocks do have a bulge that a standard resizing die will not eliminate. From my Glocks this runs about 3%. If you are not having problems don't worry about it. If you do have issues resizing 9mm brass the Lee undersized die is the cure. You can back order one from Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386755/lee-u-carbide-small-base-sizing-die-9mm-luger.

There is a great discussion of 9mm brass bulge at the following link. http://www.ar-15.co/threads/102277-9mm-Brass-Bulge.

If a Glock 9mm case is bulged, the load is excessive and the case would have bulged more in another pistol. I have several Glock 9mm pistols and brass fired in their chamber expands .002" LESS than in a Sig or Beretta.

Measure the brass yourself. Mine comes out .389". My Sig brass comes out .391".

.40 is another story. Those chambers are huge.