PDA

View Full Version : No 8/3 or 6/3 dial on my colt 6920

Bang4Buck
08-04-13, 21:05
I'm a relative newbie and have read the stickies on Zen of the 100 meter zero and AR trajectories. I'm going to go with the 100 meter zero.

I've noticed my brand new Colt 6920 does not have the 8/3 or 6/3 dial I see in most youtube videos on zeroing. Am I missing out on something since I don't have this? Seems like you guys are using that for a quick adjustment for longer range shots. I doubt I'll ever really shoot beyond 200 yards, but concerns me that I don't have those dials.

Strangely, I also don't have the shorter range aperture I see in most videos. That area is just open and there is a small aperture that can pop up for longer range shots.

Thoughts?

Split66
08-04-13, 21:35
Do you have a carry handle? Those settings are for Elevation on an A2/A3 etc. type carry handle sight. If you have a brand new Colt it will have a magpul backup sight. You only have a windage adjustment on that sight, and you have to set the elevation via the front sight. If that is the case, the methodology of bottoming the carry handle is moot. You would typically only shoot the "irons" with the small aperture ( popped in) for sighting in and general usage. The large aperture (out) is for night or "cqb".

Basically with your sights an easy way to get a 100 yard zero is sight in at 25 yards 1st. Draw a circle apprx. 2" below the center point of aim and work the elevation and windage to get the point of impact hitting the circle you drew while aiming dead center. Then go confirm your zero @ 100 yards. The initial 25 sight in will get things close. Tweak it from there. Focus on getting tight groups, soak up everything you can on sight picture, trigger and breath control, and body posistioning as a huge group will not give you a true zero ( hard to tell which one is the zero).

As for on the fly adjustments, most shooters I know do not tweak the sights from 0 - 300 yards in an ad hoc fashion, and focus more on learning the hold overs and tendencies of their chosen zero. Less things to dick up if the situation changes fast and furious.

Iraqgunz
08-04-13, 22:16
Can you post a pic of your sight so we can see what you are talking about?

I'm a relative newbie and have read the stickies on Zen of the 100 meter zero and AR trajectories. I'm going to go with the 100 meter zero.

I've noticed my brand new Colt 6920 does not have the 8/3 or 6/3 dial I see in most youtube videos on zeroing. Am I missing out on something since I don't have this? Seems like you guys are using that for a quick adjustment for longer range shots. I doubt I'll ever really shoot beyond 200 yards, but concerns me that I don't have those dials.

Strangely, I also don't have the shorter range aperture I see in most videos. That area is just open and there is a small aperture that can pop up for longer range shots.

Thoughts?

MarkG
08-04-13, 22:29
Elevation Index?

Removeable Carry Handle = 6/3

Fixed Carry Handle = 8/3

I haven't seen any current production Colt's shipping with a carry handle.

Bang4Buck
08-05-13, 08:59
Your comments make sense. Looks like my newer model doesn't have an elevation drum by design. Was a bit confused by the videos and stickys I was reading. Here's a pic:

Ryno12
08-05-13, 09:06
You have the Magpul version 6920 which uses the Magpul MBUS. Those don't have the 6/3 settings.
You should have the two different size rear apertures. They are two pieces that "snap" together or separate, depending on which range you choose to use.

Sent via Tapatalk

SteveL
08-05-13, 09:21
I also have a set of Magpul sights and used them for a while before someone on this forum explained to me that the rear has two apertures that sort of snap together. You have to look closely and you can see the aperture is two pieces and you can fold the front piece down to expose the larger aperture on the rear piece. I felt like a total dumbass at the time. Anyway I just leave it set up for the smaller aperture all the time. With your sights you adjust for windage with the rear sight and elevation is adjusted on the front sight.

Bang4Buck
08-05-13, 09:59
This makes sense. I was aware I had 2 rear apertures, but they aren't both circles. The small/long distance is a circle, while the night/short distance is not. Should work fine either way.

Thanks for helping the newbie. I'll pay it forward.

SteveL
08-05-13, 10:06
They should both be circular.

Large Aperture:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3LSOjXeNsXeiMssmXff_wREYfkO3ik7nAkJavOLBkpJTDe49ixw

Small Aperture:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv2uKjXKGGWEhtN4yJ0-f_GSqtddcegfJV5YJNxGSKXePvPCmX

Bang4Buck
08-05-13, 10:20
They should both be circular.

Large Aperture:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3LSOjXeNsXeiMssmXff_wREYfkO3ik7nAkJavOLBkpJTDe49ixw

Small Aperture:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv2uKjXKGGWEhtN4yJ0-f_GSqtddcegfJV5YJNxGSKXePvPCmX

Damn. I had no idea that was even there. Now I feel like an idiot!

SteveL
08-05-13, 10:21
Don't sweat it. I was in the exact same boat.

Bang4Buck
08-05-13, 10:23
Don't sweat it. I was in the exact same boat.

I love my 6920 but the manual could have been better about explaining some of this. The manuals for this on Colt's website look very crude and don't have clear pictures at all.

Iraqgunz
08-05-13, 16:43
You have to understand that the manual is more than likely geared towards the standard model Colt 6920 with a carry handle.

You have a version with various aftermarket additions. They are probably assuming that those who purchase it either inquire about it through the salesperson at the store or they are familiar with the product already.

I love my 6920 but the manual could have been better about explaining some of this. The manuals for this on Colt's website look very crude and don't have clear pictures at all.

JasonB1
08-05-13, 20:59
You have to understand that the manual is more than likely geared towards the standard model Colt 6920 with a carry handle.

You have a version with various aftermarket additions. They are probably assuming that those who purchase it either inquire about it through the salesperson at the store or they are familiar with the product already.

If even that close. Mine from last fall came with a Match Target manual featuring illustrations with no flash hider, pivot screw, rivited 5/20rds & 9rds mags, and no mention of a tele-stock option.