PDA

View Full Version : A review of the TacPac (storage for your spare bolt parts)

ckay
04-16-08, 20:20
I received an interesting product in the mail a few weeks ago. We all love to stock up on spare parts in the event of a failure that halts our range session, training, and for those that serve, in combat.

Prior to receiving this product, I organized my parts in little plastic baggies and put them aside in a small pocket in my gear bag. Sure, I could use a small tackle type box but that is more bulk than needed for the parts I stored which are mostly bolt parts, a spare bolt, and batteries for my EOTech. My way of doing this worked for me. But there had to be a better solution out there.

The product I am speaking of is the Tac-Pac by www.section8tactical.com

Here is their description of the product:

What is it?
The TAC-PAC is a modular storage system designed to store tactical batteries and other small parts. It consists of an injection-molded housing with interchangeable EVA foam die cut inserts. The housing and insert is closed with a snap-on rubber sealing lid. This is then placed into a tactical nylon storage pouch.

Why do I need one?
If you have ever searched in a pack or gear bag or pocket or desk for spare batteries or parts, you NEED a TAC-PAC. You will always have spares and always know where they are. Be prepared with the TAC-PAC.

What will it do?
It will help keep your batteries and small parts clean, dry, protected, and readily available. The rubber lid and mating-molded housing have 3 sealing contact surfaces. The foam insert and rubber lid keeps batteries and parts from rattling and making noise. The battery contacts are insulated and batteries won’t short out. Metal parts are cushioned.

What will fit inside?
Each TAC-PAC comes supplied with 2 inserts (1 die cut and 1 blank), a storage pouch, and the hard case and rubber lid. It is a complete storage system. The LE insert holds (8) CR-123 batteries. The inside housing is about 3.3” wide X 3.5” high (including the housing radius) and .85” deep and will accept parts that fall into that size range. It will easily hold an AR-15 bolt and firing pin. When assembled, it is just slightly thicker than a pack of regular cigarettes. The blank inserts can be hand cut.

** The black pouch version comes with an LE insert and one blank.

How does it mount?
Once you have placed your small components or batteries into the hard case and put on the rubber sealing lid, slide the hard case into the nylon pouch.
The TAC-PAC pouch has a hook and loop front flap and a large hook and loop strap on the back that can be easily attached or detached from a belt without removing the belt. The TAC-PAC can also be tossed into a gear bag, or back pack, or attached inside a car trunk lid. The options are up to you. What is important is that you have will spares and you will know where they are.

I knew I'd like this product when I saw it. It's something I've been looking for. A compact design to keep my spares well organized. They nailed it with this offering. The M4 insert will store all of your bolt parts, a complete bolt, and batteries...either CR123 or AA. Mine also came with an insert strictly for CR123 batteries, and a blank to be cut for my own intended use although I find that most will only need an M4 insert.

How much will something like this run you? It lists for $29.99 which is the right price in my opinion. Would I recommend this to others? Absolutely. I think this should be in everyone's bag. Perfect solution for those that want to be prepared in the event of malfunctions in the field. There's a reason why our ARs strip down easily. Why not have the parts on hand to take advantage of that?

Out of 5 stars, I give it 5 STARS. It's priced right, and gets the job done in a compact design. I've had bolt failures before and dug through a bag of little baggies to find the right pieces. Now, I'll just have to flip the top and pull out what I need. That's awesome [8D]

www.section8tactical.com

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/ckaynyc/DSC_0011.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/ckaynyc/DSC_0012.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/ckaynyc/DSC_0014.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/ckaynyc/DSC_0015.jpg

Shihan
04-16-08, 20:41
Everytime I see this in a magazine I always tell myself to look at these and forget. Thanks for the review.

ckay
04-16-08, 20:51
Anytime. I don't normally do reviews as I'm always left desiring more from the product. But in this case, I felt this pac should be reviewed...it's not a main stream product and I wanted to let other shooters know about it if they hadn't already. Strange how the most simple products will satisfy you the most :)

Impact
04-16-08, 23:18
very cool