PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 70 7MM Magnum

StingerDan
08-05-13, 08:36
Does anyone have one of the newer ones of these that can give me a review? Particularly in the accuracy department. I'm thinking about getting one for Deer hunting. It is SS with a Composite stock. Thanks. Dan.

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-05-13, 18:09
Does anyone have one of the newer ones of these that can give me a review? Particularly in the accuracy department. I'm thinking about getting one for Deer hunting. It is SS with a Composite stock. Thanks. Dan.

Good to go you will not be disappointed at all!

StingerDan
08-22-13, 08:40
Thank you for your input. Judging from the lack of responses it appears it is not a very popular gun. Yet.

sinister
08-22-13, 12:21
My brother has the Model 70 Laredo in 7mm Rem Mag, the equivalent of Remington's Sendero.

With a muzzle brake and hand loads it is wicked accurate and his son (a college senior) can handle it well.

okie john
08-22-13, 12:39
Thank you for your input. Judging from the lack of responses it appears it is not a very popular gun. Yet.

If you were to ask this on a more hunting-oriented board, you'd get a very different set of responses. Summarized, they'd probably read something like this:

The M-70 has been around since 1936, and Winchester had sold boatloads of them over the years. It's considered the ultimate refinement of the 1898 Mauser action, which is saying a lot. It has about the same level of aftermarket support as the 700 Remington, but it's easier to turn one into a classic sporter than it is to turn one into a sniper rifle. A good smith can make a M-70 every bit as accurate as a 700 for about the same cost, but you have to find one who knows how to do that. I recommend Jim Cloward of Lake Stevens, WA. I've owned several Cloward Model 70s. He's been building them than I've been alive (and I'm old), plus he won the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry with one, so he definitely knows the drill. His work also isn't as expensive as work by D'Arcy Echols or Gene Simillion. Current factory rifles may need a tweak or two out of the box, but otherwise there's nothing wrong--and quite a bit right--with the Model 70.

The 7mm Remington Magnum has been around since 1962, and is considered one of the all-time classic cartridges for big-game hunting. Warren Page helped develop it, and he pushed it the same way Jack O'Connor pushed the 270, Elmer Keith pushed the 44 Magnum, and Jeff Cooper pushed the 45 ACP. Page meant for it to be an all-around cartridge for hunting thin-skinned game anywhere in the world, and that's just what it is. It might be a little heavy for most deer hunting, but it starts to make sense if you regularly get long-ish shots at bigger deer, especially if there's much wind. It's also a solid choice for elk or bigger game, and it has a good reputation in Africa, South America, and Europe.

The 7 Mag was originally developed to push a 175-grain bullet to 3,000 fps in a 24" barrel, and for a long time, ammo makers claimed it did that. Then people started buying chronographs and realized that it fell a little short, especially in 22" barrels. Todays factory ammo is getting to that point, but even if it's only doing 2,850 fps, a 175-grain 7mm bullet is still a serious chunk of ordnance. A 160-grain bullet goes significantly faster than a 175 in the 7 Mag, but for all intents and purposes, neither one is all that much more effective than the 30/06.

The only thing wrong with owning a stainless synthetic Model 70 in 7 Mag is that it will reduce your need for any other hunting rifles except for a varmint rifle and one for dangerous game. The combination really is that good.

Okie John

StingerDan
08-27-13, 08:44
Thanks Sinister, I hope mines a shooter, and a big thanks to John for your in depth discussion, they are both appreciated. I recieved my gun yesterday. First impressions are good. clean lines, lightweight, real smooth action. I got the Ultimate Shadow SS 26" BBL. Now I need Scope mount,Dies casings and bullets. Then load development begins! Let the games begin!

Ridgerunner665
08-27-13, 19:44
If your question was...are the new Winchesters made by FN any good?

The answer is a resounding YES!

The best M70's ever produced...by far...better barrels (4 groove, CHF), better trigger (there is some debate about this one), the cheap stocks suck though...plain and simple (IMO).

I have one in 30-06, it began life as an Ultimate Shadow...its the most accurate rifle I've ever owned (that includes 3 professional built custom rifles)...I had originally planned to make it a 280 AI, but the factory barrel shoots so good I changed my mind.

I bought 2...one for me and one for my son.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/30-06s.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/Ridgerunner665/media/30-06s.jpg.html)

Now mine looks like this...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/2012-11-16_14-47-36_692.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/Ridgerunner665/media/2012-11-16_14-47-36_692.jpg.html)

And with Berger 175 Hunting VLD's it just never misses...

Ridgerunner665
08-27-13, 19:50
The bad news is...FN is moving assembly of the M70 to Portugal...so if you want "Made in the USA"...buy now.

I reckon they are still gonna be made from American made parts, but assembled in Portugal...I don't understand the logistics of that...but thats what they are claiming.

JStor
08-28-13, 06:29
My Model 70 Laredo 7 mm. Mag likes a Nosler 160 gr. Accubond with 64.5 grs. of Reloder 22 for about 2950 ft/sec. Another load this rifle loves is the 168 gr. Sierra MatchKing with a max load of H4831. As listed in a Sierra manual this one is their so-called accuracy load, and it proves to be true for this rifle. All rifles are individuals, so yours may well have an affinity for some other load, and as always use caution by starting with lesser charges of powder.

StingerDan
08-28-13, 14:07
Boy! With so much good news, now I really can't wait to shoot it. Thanks gents. Dan.

Watrdawg
08-30-13, 07:36
I bought the Extreme Weather M70 last year in 7mm08 and love it. I used to have a Rem Mtn. in the same caliber and wanted something similar. I ended up going with the M70 and have no regrets what so ever.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/photo-7.jpg

GSPKurt
09-01-13, 21:35
I have an older M70 in 7mm Mag that I am planning on rebarreling to some other caliber. I may have to reconsider.

WC 2-3
09-03-13, 18:34
I picked up a Featherweight in .264WM 4 months ago. Great rifle and the trigger is far better than my M70 Coyote that I bought in 2002.

GUNSLINGER733
09-16-13, 19:20
All m70s are great rifles. I have a few. I changed up some handloads the weekend. My 7mm-08 featherweight shot a .670" 3 shot group at 100 yards the weekend. I was happy for my light deer rifle. Have a m70 7mm STW that is a nail driver also.

Load data (for anyone interested)
7mm-08
47 gr. compressed IMR 4350
120 Nosler BT HUNTING
Win mag primers
3.015" OAL

GUNSLINGER733
09-16-13, 19:23

BTW the Browning X Bolts are awesome rifles to. They're lighter and have one of the best factory adjustable triggers. My old 7mm WSM shot sub moa. My cousin shot his this weekend when I was trying new loads. His shot .461" group(7mm Rem Mag) at 100 yards. It's a sharp looking rifle to. His is walnut with stainless barrel and action.

StingerDan
09-17-13, 08:44
Finally got her out for some shooting last night! About five shots to dial in. I do a break in proceder, so nothing definite on the accuracy yet, but it looks like it's going to be a shooter! Trigger feels good. Zero creep, clean break, no overtravel. A little heavy for my taste, I think I'll drop it to 2 1/2 lbs from three and try that. I did shoot a 1" three shot group with 63 gr of RE 22 with a cleaning in the middle, so we'll see.

GUNSLINGER733
09-17-13, 23:39
Try you some IMR 4350 with the 7mm mag. Seems to be about the most accurate powder for .284 cal rifles. Also mess around with OAL. You should see sub moa. Especially when you shoot it more.

Apricotshot
09-18-13, 06:57
http://www.brockmansrifles.com/univ_hunter.asp

Brockman makes a very nice M70.

StingerDan
09-19-13, 14:16
Try you some IMR 4350 with the 7mm mag. Seems to be about the most accurate powder for .284 cal rifles. Also mess around with OAL. You should see sub moa. Especially when you shoot it more.I think I'll take you up on that. I just so happen to have a couple pounds of IMR 4350. I'll post results. Thanks.

Apricot, I would love to get a rifle done like that, but, at this time in my life (wife, kids in college, Law school,) I pay pay pay. Off the shelf only for me right now. (AR's excluded) LOL! Dan.

auto_luver
09-19-13, 14:52
I've got a Win 70, it's not in 7mm. it's a 458Mag. This is the pride of my collection :)

It has open iron sights

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc511/autoluver/winchester458mag_2_zps0e510239.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc511/autoluver/winchester458mag_1_zps93b62a38.jpg

StingerDan
09-20-13, 06:38
Damn! I'll bet that thing puts a new meaning to the phrase "bang stick" seriously though, nice rifle.

GUNSLINGER733
09-22-13, 20:21
I think I'll take you up on that. I just so happen to have a couple pounds of IMR 4350. I'll post results. Thanks.

Apricot, I would love to get a rifle done like that, but, at this time in my life (wife, kids in college, Law school,) I pay pay pay. Off the shelf only for me right now. (AR's excluded) LOL! Dan.

Shot some more this weekend. My 7mm-08 m70 featherweight is shooting .508" 3 shot groups. It's getting better every week. My cousins 7mm rem mag is not .435" now. Both using 4350. I'll see what load he did and post back