Because this might happen to you.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1f8_1375594134

Clint
08-05-13, 11:23
Wow!
That's some serious "progress"...

Bolt_Overide
08-05-13, 11:31
Most section 8 renters are like locusts, they move into a property, run it down to a wreak, then move on.

NoveskeFan
08-05-13, 11:31
Someone not caring for something they didn't have to work for...go figure.

austinN4
08-05-13, 11:36
Because this might happen to you.

Should have been obvious at the start.

Airhasz
08-05-13, 11:41
I'm sure he has insurance to repair this damage. Looks like some one forgot to get references before renting it? Seems like this could be avoided with a little common sense and a little homework. Quick solution would be to light a bunch of candles with no bases and set them on carpet in rooms and go on a several day trip. Oh, forget that you have already shown the world your problem.

brickboy240
08-05-13, 11:43
Why would ANYONE EVER rent such a nice house out to a renter like that?

You have to know...going in to an agreement like this, that the renter has tons more "rights" than you do. Therefore....do not rent to low lifes like that.

Tragic....but mostly the owner's fault.

-brickboy240

Caeser25
08-05-13, 12:18

Who'd a thunk it?

Armati
08-05-13, 12:35
I would like some demographic data on the renters. I sort of feel that he left out some important details. I wonder if they were Obama supporters?

thopkins22
08-05-13, 12:46
I would like some demographic data on the renters. I sort of feel that he left out some important details. I wonder if they were Obama supporters?

I don't think it matters. Black, white, asian, or hispanic...HUD/Section 8 type families are a crap shoot in terms of renting to.

There are plenty of two parent, anti-Obama, and white families in WV whom would leave you with the same result.

It's actually one of the tougher calls in regards to welfare spending...generally they are families with children. I personally believe private citizens would find solutions keeping them from homelessness, but I get it more than most programs.

ETA: Do we think the burn marks on the counter in the bathroom are from drug use?

SteyrAUG
08-05-13, 12:55
Now imagine how much the neighbors enjoyed having such individuals next door.

If you own a rental property and you put section 8 tenants in it, you deserve everything they do. Taxpayers pay their rent, they value nothing because they did not work for, pay for or earn it in any way.

In a sick twisted way they have come to believe they are owed such things and if it isn't a Jay Z quality mansion they will punish you for it for making them live in such ordinary dwellings.

It's the same mentality as a mugger finding out you only have $5, they did their job of making sure they were in a position to "get paid" and now you are shorting them by only having $5. They are going to take it out on you.

SteyrAUG
08-05-13, 13:00
Why would ANYONE EVER rent such a nice house out to a renter like that?

You have to know...going in to an agreement like this, that the renter has tons more "rights" than you do. Therefore....do not rent to low lifes like that.

Tragic....but mostly the owner's fault.

-brickboy240

Guaranteed government check that will be on time and won't bounce. Now hunting down deadbeats for the rent, no sob stories about being short.

Sounds like a good idea until you actually do it once.

ra2bach
08-05-13, 14:00
I'm sure he has insurance to repair this damage. Looks like some one forgot to get references before renting it? Seems like this could be avoided with a little common sense and a little homework. Quick solution would be to light a bunch of candles with no bases and set them on carpet in rooms and go on a several day trip. Oh, forget that you have already shown the world your problem.

most homeowners insurance has a $1k deductible. not to mention that they may not pay for willful damage from renters - that may require at the least a rider to the the policy.

it's a shame but in my narrow experience with this type of people renting others' personal houses, this is the rule rather than the exception... at the height of the "buy and flip" housing bubble, I had a friend who wanted me to go in with him and buy some quadplex rentals for section 8. a simple search told me I would be better off buying a boat and setting fire to it...

cinco
08-05-13, 14:05
Most section 8 renters are like locusts, they move into a property, run it down to a wreak, then move on.

Correct.

Through my profession I deal with a lot of this type and frequently have pretty good insight into the family's history and money situation. These are the families who are on about every form of welfare (disability, food stamps, section 8, free school lunches, etc). However, they will almost always have satellite tv, smartphones, high dollar shoes, large screen TV. Weird in this area they also favor large stainless steel BBQs. One even had a recent year Cadillac STS out front of the trailer.

I'm always amazed how much stuff they abandon as they skip. I mean like 3-4 bicycles, the BBQ, furniture. Talking with a collegue he nailed it when I was discussing this with him - "they simply have no sweat equity in anything as they know it will be replaced with the next welfare check". To them it is more of hassle to move it or make multiple trips then it is to simply repurchase with someone else's money.

Oh yeah, I also like the story of a buddy's son-in-law (whom he detests) who just got out of county jail for 3 months. He was able to go down to DHS and get BACK "paid" on his EBT food stamps - $600 total or $200/month. Crap man I don't even get to "afford" myself $200 in just food a month - I'd be eating very very well. Depressing.

Dave_M
08-05-13, 14:48
I've read a pretty funny blog written by a guy who owns several rental properties. He talks specifically about Section 8 at one point in time (can't find the blog, it's been several years so I'll just give the gist of what I recall).

It went something like:
Why make one of your properties Section 8? Well, because the rent check will always be on time. You don't have to track down someone on the first of every month in order to maintain your mortgage etc. That's the benefit.

Once it's a Section 8 housing unit, you need to keep it a Section 8 place for as long as possible. Why? Because once the tenants move out you pretty much have to gut the entire property; it will be completely ruined. If I put in appliances at all, its the cheapest stuff that can be found on Craigslist or garage sales because at the end, if they aren't stolen outright, they'll be completely un-serviceable/usable for the next tenant.
-----

Neal Boortz (a libertarian radio jock from the south) said much of the same (IE: If you own rental property for low-income, don't put in appliances because they will disappear, along with the tenants, in the middle of the night).

So yeah, the damage to a once very nice home is pretty extreme. However, said property owner may have avoided it had he not made it Section 8 in the first place.

Eurodriver
08-05-13, 16:05
I'm not a landlord but it absolutely cannot be that easy and skate free to destroy the property of others, get welfare, and outright steal appliances from people.

brickboy240
08-05-13, 16:15
Guaranteed govt check comes with a risk that is just too high.

Sell the fricken house if you have to...otherwise you stand to lose and lose big as this shows.

-brickboy240

VLODPG
08-05-13, 16:51
I watched the before & after of that video. WTF is wrong with people to rent out a house to section 8?

Can they not find people to rent at full ticket, or is the market so bad there they couldn't find a buyer?(220k to less than 20k, what a hit)

I would love to find a place like that in the before pictures, at affordable rates.(sounds like the neighborhood went ghetto real quick!)

Maybe I should quit my job & go down to the recruiting offices to join the FSA!

I'm not a landlord but it absolutely cannot be that easy and skate free to destroy the property of others, get welfare, and outright steal appliances from people.

It is,
My mother was the executor of my grandfathers estate & rented the houses (this was back in the late 70's-early 80's) & they got away with this shit back then. I don't expect the system to do anything about it now if they didn't 20 years ago.

You can't do much to someone who doesn't have a pot to piss in, nor cares where they piss!

aguila327
08-05-13, 17:16
Seems like he made it pretty clear. No hard working honest family would want ti rent in that area. As for selling it I guess he didn't want to realize the $200,000.00 devaluation.

I know he's trying to be a good person and handle his commitments but he shoukd have walked away and let the bank take it.

I've seen this so many times that I have been desensitized ti the total lack of responsibility by Sect.8 receipeants.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SteyrAUG
08-05-13, 17:48

Actually it is. You basically just can't have a meaningful income.

SteyrAUG
08-05-13, 17:56
Why make one of your properties Section 8?

You don't really make the property section 8 in a zoning sense of the word. You simply accept a section 8 tenant and sign a government rental agreement.

Had a section 8 family next door for a year and they of course trashed the place completely and whatever reliable rent that was collected over the course of the year probably didn't begin to offset the cost of fixing up the house for the next tenant (who is not section 8).

The section 8 program has been changed over the years. It is no longer a case of placement in housing set aside for section 8 recipients, now they simply get a rent voucher that can be as high as $2,200 a month and they rent anyplace the can find and afford.

As they can't redeem any unused porting they typically rent as close to the maximum value of the section 8 benefit as they can. So if they qualify for $1,800 a month they don't gain anything by renting a $1,200 a month property.

This means I personally know of section 8 families who live in neighborhoods I can't afford to live in. And their upper middle class neighbors are not terribly happy with the situation.

montanadave
08-05-13, 18:21
Every five or ten years, I get to looking around and contemplating the prospect of purchasing some investment rental properties.

Then I read one of these stories.

Thank you.

tinman44
08-05-13, 19:40
Now imagine how much the neighbors enjoyed having such individuals next door.

If you own a rental property and you put section 8 tenants in it, you deserve everything they do. Taxpayers pay their rent, they value nothing because they did not work for, pay for or earn it in any way.

In a sick twisted way they have come to believe they are owed such things and if it isn't a Jay Z quality mansion they will punish you for it for making them live in such ordinary dwellings.

It's the same mentality as a mugger finding out you only have $5, they did their job of making sure they were in a position to "get paid" and now you are shorting them by only having $5. They are going to take it out on you.

As usual you hit the nail on the head. Shame on anyone that lets their house go to section 8 before they sell low.

kcara
08-05-13, 21:57
I had one section 8 renter in my duplex years ago. I took her to court and evicted her. Since I got a judgement against her, she was kicked out of the program. :):)

At the court hearing, her kids were so bad they kicked them out of the waiting room. Of course she had a govt appointed attorney free of charge. All her utilities were paid for by taxpayers.

The kids were like the spawn of satan. They carved their name in the neighbors car. They cut up their couch cushions. The rent check was not worth it. I learned my lesson. :cool:

ccosby
08-05-13, 22:23

Pretty much.

Sucks for that home owner. Sad thing is you have really no recourse against the people.

Ed L.
08-05-13, 22:35
I am not familiar with Section 8.

How does one find out in advance that a potential renter is going to be paying by Section 8? Do they tell you? Does the program contact you about renting?

Also, do you have legal recourse to refuse to rent to section 8 renters? It sounds like if you turn someone down because they are section 8 you might find yourself on the receiving end of a discrimination suit or action by the government.

khc3
08-05-13, 22:51
I know that it used to be common for landlords to ask for references from potential renters, and I would certainly try to get a credit & criminal record check. If they refuse to provide those, well...

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if doing so is no longer allowed.

tb-av
08-05-13, 23:22
Also, do you have legal recourse to refuse to rent to section 8 renters?

Yes, you do not have to rent through that program. You are only bound by fair housing laws.

SteyrAUG
08-05-13, 23:41
I am not familiar with Section 8.

How does one find out in advance that a potential renter is going to be paying by Section 8? Do they tell you? Does the program contact you about renting?

Also, do you have legal recourse to refuse to rent to section 8 renters? It sounds like if you turn someone down because they are section 8 you might find yourself on the receiving end of a discrimination suit or action by the government.

The program will provide you with a Section 8 agreement so you can get set up for direct deposit. THANKFULLY Section 8 isn't so stupid as to actually give these people a check directly. Section 8 pays you, not the tenant so you will know for certain they are part of the program.

And yes, you can absolutely refused Section 8 applicants. Especially in light of the fact that the agreement largely leaves you holding the ball for any damages as you cannot really collect from the tenant (they don't have anything to go after unless you want to sue them for their gold teeth) and you sure as hell won't be able to go after the program for damages, the agreement covers that pretty well.

theblackknight
08-05-13, 23:56
After finding out just how many rights dead beat renters have in NC, I figured buying personal property from auctions and flipping it would be way less hassle.

obucina
08-06-13, 00:52
The property next to mine is inhabited by section 8 types. Well, half of it is. I own a town home that shares a single wall, so the houses are built in pairs. The pair next to mine are both rentals, one half is inhabited by an engineer and nurse with a talkative 5 year old, the other by a mid 20s skeezy prostitute and an inked up, loser baby daddy with an orange Sportster. Ironically, I attended middle school with him, he was a loser then and still is. After a month, they finally cut the grass, yet don't maintain much else.

obucina
08-06-13, 01:01
I just did a mugshot search for my scumbag neighbor.....four arrests for domestic violence and one for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon with four counts.

Eurodriver
08-06-13, 06:25
All of these posts really have me wanting to move to....North Dakota or Idaho or something.

The fact that they can get a $2200 rent is insane. I wonder if I qualify...probably not. I don't have any kids.

munch520
08-06-13, 07:04
The fact that they can get a $2200 rent is insane. I wonder if I qualify...probably not. I don't have any kids.

That's the ticket man - go pump out 7 babies out of wedlock and you're GTG.

Pork Chop
08-06-13, 07:59
That's the ticket man - go pump out 7 babies out of wedlock and you're GTG.

Therein lies the problem. Out of those 7, 6.5 will grow up to have 7 more little benefit siphons of their own. They're like their own force multiplier.

In live in a pretty nice neighborhood, but just down the street a few years ago we got some nice, income based (subsidized) apartment complexes. I mean pretty damn nice. They have their own gym and a ****ing pool, no less. It's the parking lot full of $60-$70k vehicles, though, that lights my fire. Including a probably 2 year old Z06 vette and multiple Escalades, etc.

You can't make this shit up. :(

cinco
08-06-13, 08:53
You don't really make the property section 8 in a zoning sense of the word. You simply accept a section 8 tenant and sign a government rental agreement.

Had a section 8 family next door for a year and they of course trashed the place completely and whatever reliable rent that was collected over the course of the year probably didn't begin to offset the cost of fixing up the house for the next tenant (who is not section 8).

The section 8 program has been changed over the years. It is no longer a case of placement in housing set aside for section 8 recipients, now they simply get a rent voucher that can be as high as $2,200 a month and they rent anyplace the can find and afford.

As they can't redeem any unused porting they typically rent as close to the maximum value of the section 8 benefit as they can. So if they qualify for $1,800 a month they don't gain anything by renting a $1,200 a month property.

This means I personally know of section 8 families who live in neighborhoods I can't afford to live in. And their upper middle class neighbors are not terribly happy with the situation.

I've really been enlightened to how many scams are used by the dregs who abuse the system.

A known scam in this area, and I presume everywhere, is for the landlord and tenant to max out the voucher and split the "difference".

At least here, vouchers are dependent upon local rent rates and number of people in the "family".

For example, a POS trailer would normally rent for $350-500 per month. Think of a run down trailer park full of crappy trailers and the associated occupants. The landlord will claim full voucher value rent and will then split the difference with the tenant. Thus, $1000 voucher - $350 actual rent= $650 to split between landlord and tenant.

Popular scam #2 is that a majority of folks have figured out if they don't get married, but have children together, they can both claim the child under different names. Thus, you will find "families" who can now "double-dip" the system. Makes you feel good doesn't it to support this broken system, getting up at 4:30am to go to work?

cinco
08-06-13, 09:24

Social engineering of our neighborhoods to ensure "equality". Connect the dots.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/23/team-obama-steps-up-racial-standards-for-neighborhoods/

Shaun Donovan, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, in a July 16 speech to the NAACP about a new regulation and database aimed at adding “protected classes” into predominantly white neighborhoods.

The federal government is getting serious about pushing racial and ethnic diversity into America’s neighborhoods--and is using big data and big money to achieve its aims.

A new interactive database will help regulators, local housing officials and individuals take action on a newly proposed regulation that would require agencies to “affirmatively further” the inclusion of minority residents in white neighborhoods.

From this thread here starting at post #83

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1704589#post1704589

So with all this race crap going on in this country, we now have this administration openly stating their social engineering program.

https://www.google.com/m/search?q=obama+to+map+neighborhoods+by+race&client=safari&hl=en&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=ML_vUZbpFor69QSzo4HQAg&ved=0CCsQqAI

My tolerance for this bullshit is at its all time low.

SteyrAUG
08-06-13, 12:35
I've really been enlightened to how many scams are used by the dregs who abuse the system.

A known scam in this area, and I presume everywhere, is for the landlord and tenant to max out the voucher and split the "difference".

At least here, vouchers are dependent upon local rent rates and number of people in the "family".

For example, a POS trailer would normally rent for $350-500 per month. Think of a run down trailer park full of crappy trailers and the associated occupants. The landlord will claim full voucher value rent and will then split the difference with the tenant. Thus, $1000 voucher - $350 actual rent= $650 to split between landlord and tenant.

Popular scam #2 is that a majority of folks have figured out if they don't get married, but have children together, they can both claim the child under different names. Thus, you will find "families" who can now "double-dip" the system. Makes you feel good doesn't it to support this broken system, getting up at 4:30am to go to work?

Hell you don't even have to get that elaborate. Welfare family rents big house with Section 8 funding and then subleases several rooms for unreported income. They in effect become landlords for property they don't even own.

CarlosDJackal
08-06-13, 13:04
:rolleyes: <-- This is my shocked face!!

nimdabew
08-06-13, 13:10
Hell you don't even have to get that elaborate. Welfare family rents big house with Section 8 funding and then subleases several rooms for unreported income. They in effect become landlords for property they don't even own.

That is messed up.

All this talk about section 8 makes me feel like working isn't worth it after all. I can make $53 a month selling styrofoam packing peanuts.

feedramp
08-08-13, 11:20
Another gem: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/08/obama-administration-using-housing-department-to-compel-diversity-in/

kwelz
08-08-13, 12:15
This isn't even just a Section 8 issue. I don't personally deal with rentals in our office I do mainly new Construction and First time home buyers. However the horror stories I have heard and seen make this video look like a pleasant dream.

Broken toilets that continue to be used, animals left to die and rot in a house when people move out..... And those are just the ones I don't mind mentioning. None of these were S8.

In today's market we have a huge demand for rental properties and screening your renters is more important than ever.

brickboy240
08-08-13, 13:46
My parents used to own several rental properties. Some were in average neighborhoods...most were not.

The problems I saw my parents go through with renters made me NEVER want to own rental property. I am glad they sold these places long before they retired, so I do not have to deal with them if I was to inherit the places.

Unless you can seriously control who you rent to, you have time and money to deal with the renters and the damage they do, you own the property outright and you can charge crazy high rent...owning rental property seemed like more of a headache that it was worth.

-brickboy240