PDA

View Full Version : Finished my first build

superfuzz
08-05-13, 12:15
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/superfuzz87/carbinebuild_zps4dc75078.jpg

I chose my parts based on value (cost vs quality,) availability, and the end result I had in mind: Fairly accurate, versatile, fairly lightweight or at least not heavy, with ergos that were better that my work-issued Bushy. I intend on using it on duty, for plinking, maybe some carbine courses, and, of course, to defend the homestead when the inevitable collapse of society occurs. :p

Aero Precision Lower:

Core Rifle Systems LPK with "OTG" triger guard - purchased from Core because they were available and selling at a semi-reasonable price. I don't know much about CORE or their reputation but everything went together fine and I'm pleasantly surprised at how great the trigger feels.

Generic Buffer tube with Brownell's std carbine buffer (looking to try an "H" buffer soon) and Brownell's CS buffer spring.

B5 Bravo stock - Chosen because I like the shape but also because it was lighter weight and more simple than some other SOPMOD style stocks. At $58, I thought the price was right too.

Magpul MOE-K grip - chosen for it's improved angle and slim profile. I was a little leery before I received it because I have wide hands and read a lot of complaints that it was too small. But I'm happy to report I really like the feel and it's definitely not too small. I usually wear XL gloves, sometimes XXL to get enough width if they run small and I've found that the size of the grip is compact but comfy.

Aero Precision Upper:

Les Baer Custom complete BCG - I was lucky enough to get this in a fair trade with a work buddy at a time when BCG's were unobtanium. Traded an older S&W revolver I had been given for free so I essentially got the BCG for free.

Unknown brand charging handle with "tac latch" purchased off the Equipment Exchange because I wanted a CH with an enhanced latch but I didn't want to pay $45+ for one. Seems to work just fine and I like the size/shape of the latch.

Black Hole Weaponry 16" LTM barrel- chosen because of availability and features I was looking for: 16" length, mid-length gas system, 1/8 twist, Mid-weight/gov't profile, nitride coated. I also was intrigued by the polygonal rifling. While their website had a 8-10 week backlog of orders, Surplus Ammo and Arms had the Standard Profile barrel in stock. I ordered it and when I received it found it was heavier than I was expecting. I called BHW and got lucky; they had an LTM barrel in-hand and were willing to let me exchange it straight across.

Midwest Industries 12" Gen2 SS FF handguard - chosen for it's slim profile, light weight and ability to put rails only where I wanted them. Also, it's reasonably priced. Now that it's all assembled, I really like how the handguard feels.

Yankee Hill low profile gas block with WMD nitromet gas tube - chose the gas block because it was steel, reasonably priced and known to fit under the MI handguard. Chose the WMD gas tube because it was available and black in color.

Yankee Hill 5C-1 flash hider - chosen because it was cheap and seemed to have decent reviews. I'll actually be replacing this YHM piece this week with a BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 comp. I was perfectly happy with the YHM (though in retrospect, an A2 probably just as good) until I shot my friend's rifle that had the BCM. We have a nearly identical set-up and the difference the BCM GF comp made was noticeable.

Lastly, the sights are Daniel Defense fixed sights - I chose these because I wanted a quality sight that was durable and light weight. I may add an RDS some time in the future and will perhaps switch to flip-ups at that time.

The day I finished the assembly, I took it out to test-shoot. I didn't have time to adjust the sights or set a zero but it functioned perfectly (for all 20 rounds http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif) and was really sweet to shoot; it handles nicely, the trigger feels good. I'm super-stoked with how it turned out and can't wait to shoot it more.

I put it on the scale just before typing this up and found it weighed 6.9lbs empty.

SWThomas
08-05-13, 12:24
That looks great! Almost identical to mine.