PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun Tactical Class Shotgun

ErnieB
04-16-08, 22:58
I am interested in picking up a new shotgun for my local 3 gun matches. I am thinking of getting a Benelli (had one a while back but sold it like a fool) and was wondering what mods are legal for tactical class and who you would recommend doing some work on it. I have heard of guys using lighter springs so the gun will cycle with lighter loads as well as beveling the receiver so you don't chew your thumbs when reloading.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

rhino
04-17-08, 00:20
If you're referring to USPSA Tactical Division for multi-gun, then the rules for shotgun are identical to Limited/Standard division for shotgun.

No porting or compensators
No scopes
No speed loaders
load no more than 8+1 rounds to start a stage

There is an appendix in the rule books at www.uspsa.org about all of this.

ErnieB
04-17-08, 00:33
If you're referring to USPSA Tactical Division for multi-gun, then the rules for shotgun are identical to Limited/Standard division for shotgun.

No scopes
No speed loaders

Copy. Kinda' new to the 3 gun thing so I was just feeling it all out. I noticed there were a few guys here that shoot 3 gun so I just thought I would ask. I'll look for info at the link provided.

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
04-17-08, 07:00

No scopes
No speed loaders

Also no detachable magazine fed shotguns in Limited/Standard. These however can be used in Open division.

Viggen
04-17-08, 07:07
The prime location to learn about shotguns for 3-Gun and multi-gun is:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

Go down to the 3-Gun Forums
3 Gun/IPSC Shotgun - Technical Discussions

A lot of questions have been well covered at Brian's site. There is a lot of great opinion, a lot of give and take, and a tremendous amount of freely given knowledge by the best in the 3 gun world.

rhino
04-17-08, 08:04
Also no detachable magazine fed shotguns in Limited/Standard. These however can be used in Open division.

Speaking of which . . .

Since the 20rd drums aren't allowed even in Open division, do you think the Saiga shotguns with 10rd box magazines will have a significant impact on Open division shotgun?

I can see how they would be faster for people who have not mastered speedloader tubes, but given how long it takes to reload an AK (and a Saiga has to be similar) and how fast a lot of people can use speedloaders, I'm skeptical that reloading would be any faster (or even as fast) for someone with comparable skill with both.

And for stages that mix shot and slugs, the tube-fed guns have a clear advantage.

I know some semi-big dogs are using Saigas now, but are they really going any faster overall?

And for shorter stages where reloads are less of an issue, it seems like a true shotgunner could probably go faster with a traditionally configured shotgun vs. a Saiga with a pistol grip and sights well above the boreline/

Robb Jensen
04-17-08, 08:11
Speaking of which . . .

Since the 20rd drums aren't allowed even in Open division, do you think the Saiga shotguns with 10rd box magazines will have a significant impact on Open division shotgun?

I can see how they would be faster for people who have not mastered speedloader tubes, but given how long it takes to reload an AK (and a Saiga has to be similar) and how fast a lot of people can use speedloaders, I'm skeptical that reloading would be any faster (or even as fast) for someone with comparable skill with both.

And for stages that mix shot and slugs, the tube-fed guns have a clear advantage.

I know some semi-big dogs are using Saigas now, but are they really going any faster overall?

And for shorter stages where reloads are less of an issue, it seems like a true shotgunner could probably go faster with a traditionally configured shotgun vs. a Saiga with a pistol grip and sights well above the boreline/

I think the Saiga will really shake Open division up. There's a guy making a magwell which allows you to insert the magazines straight in (like an AR) and someone else making a trigger finger operated bolt release. This way the shotgun could be reloaded without dismounting it from ones shoulder. Certainly more efficient than dropping the shotgun down, removing the firing hand, loading with a load tube, and remounting to the shoulder.

rhino
04-18-08, 15:04
Well, if it can be loaded like an AR instead of an AK, then it changes the equation significantly. I've heard about it, but I've not seen it yet.

Alaskapopo
06-16-08, 20:52
I have seen shooters use the speedloader tubes and its not nearly as fast as reloading an AK. So I would have to say Open is going to be dominated by magazine fed shotguns in the near future.
Pat