PDA

View Full Version : Build or buy replacement lower

themonk
08-05-13, 14:30
I have an LMT M4 upper on a Aero precision lower that I built out with CMMG LPK (all I could get at the time). I am thinking about building out a 300 blackout rifle and would use the Aero lower for the 300 build. The LMT has been flawless no matter what was thrown at it and is my current SHTF rifle.

My question is do you think I should build out a new lower on a Noveske or Umbrella corp lower with a much better LPK or pick up a pre-built LMT lower and just change out the trigger and the stock?

Seems like it may be a little cheaper to build it out myself but if I were ever to sell the LMT it may be worth more with the mated lower – thoughts?

Jeffro2912
08-05-13, 15:32
I agree that it would be cheaper to build a lower, especially if you plan to switch out parts, but i'm a sucker for brand matching uppers and lowers. I don't know how much difference it would make in resale value, but I doubt it would be enough to really matter as long as you use quality components. Just my .02

muldoon
08-05-13, 15:46
I agree that it would be cheaper to build a lower, especially if you plan to switch out parts, but i'm a sucker for brand matching uppers and lowers. I don't know how much difference it would make in resale value, but I doubt it would be enough to really matter as long as you use quality components. Just my .02

Same here. I switched out my PSA lower build to match a BCM upper that Grant had for sale. I'm a little OCD that way (but very happy w/the way she matches up (headspace n'all)). YMMV :smile:

Kain
08-05-13, 15:54
What trigger are you looking to have in the LMT? I believe Rainierarms has LMT lowers with a variety of triggers already installed.

Personal opinion on the issue it depends on the on your preference. I am currently running a BCM upper on a RRA lower. Next build I am going to go with a Noveske Gen II and another BCM upper, don't have any problem with them not matching up though if I came across a BCM lower at a good price I might say otherwise ;)

themonk
08-05-13, 16:00
I would just pull the trigger out of the Aero and pick up another B5 Bravo stock.

I don't really have an issue using another lower. I guess to clarify the question; do we think the LMT LPK in their lower is in the top tier of LPKs and do you think there would be any additional value added as a match set vs someone saying its a franken gun?

pinzgauer
08-05-13, 16:45
I don't really have an issue using another lower. I guess to clarify the question; do we think the LMT LPK in their lower is in the top tier of LPKs and do you think there would be any additional value added as a match set vs someone saying its a franken gun?

With defender complete lowers starting in the low 3's you'll be hard pressed to build better cheaper. Sell the stock and put what you want on it.

And yes, their lpk is top tier as is their rcvr extension. And lower. For the money, you could do worse than to pick up an LMT complete lower with 2 stage. Sell the stock, and even extension if you want the A5

---sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

dentron
08-05-13, 16:52
With defender complete lowers starting in the low 3's you'll be hard pressed to build better cheaper. Sell the stock and put what you want on it.

And yes, their lpk is top tier as is their rcvr extension. And lower. For the money, you could do worse than to pick up an LMT complete lower with 2 stage. Sell the stock, and even extension if you want the A5

This.

Dannyh
08-05-13, 22:25
I agree, unless you go cheap, you'd be hard pressed to build a LMT equivalent lower for less. Assuming LMT uses a quality LPK, buffer tube, ect..
Which I do believe they do, hence recently I bought two complete defender lowers. They match my BCM uppers terrifically. ;) at least in quality.

I actually love their ergo grip too.

Tzook
08-07-13, 09:18
Building a lower is a great learning experience if you've never done it before, but as previously stated that LMT price is hard to beat. Generally I've built lowers because I wanted to save money on an overall build and didn't care about the logo on the rifle, so I bought an Aero or other cheapo lower and put good parts in it.