PDA

View Full Version : ZT 301 vs CRKT Otanashi noh Ken

Tacti-square
08-05-13, 23:25
Off my campus I'd like a much more capable EDC that gets the job done. I've narrowed it down to these two, different as they are. The CRKT looks a lot more ergonomic, but the ZT is a goddamn tank. Then there's the price difference to take into account. Thoughts?

Lee D
08-05-13, 23:28
between those two, ZT all day

Bolt_Overide
08-06-13, 06:27
seconded on the ZT.

FireandFlames
08-06-13, 07:28
I have both!
I edc'd a zt0301 for about a year and a half and bought a otanashi noh ken when they came out about 5 months ago. The zt is a freaking tank but it has a crazy thick edge geometry and is heavy in the pocket, mine took the abuses of construction work like a champ and I would be comfortable carrying one now in my current profession. The only issue is it carries like shit and no matter how many times I reprofiled that thing I could never get it to cut the way I wanted to, its good at being a tank and not good at being a knife. The otanashi is pretty solid for what it is, a purebred weapon, the frame lock is a good touch and the tip isn't as weak as you would think it would be. It's probably the longest damn folder you can carry every day, but it rides deep in the pocket and has a thin cross section so its doable. It's a nice knife for the price, only lacking on blade steel and strong on the mall ninja side of things.

Ever consider a zt 0561 or a spyderco manix XL? They are two solid folders with super strong locks that can actually cut, especially the manix XL.

Up1911fan
08-06-13, 09:05
I have a few ZT's and would highly recommend them.

MrTips
08-06-13, 09:21
ZTs are clearly nice knives, but for "aggressive negotiations" as you say, I'd rather have the Otanashi as my business partner. Prefer its blade length, blade and handle shape, and weight.

NCHornet
08-06-13, 17:05
I prefer the ZT200 but ZT all the way for one tough EDC knife!!!

Cujo618
08-11-13, 12:47
I have a ZT 0350 and 0550, would not trade them for anything. Both are top quality.

krisjon
08-13-13, 21:09
It really depends on use/blade style preference. I own ZTs and the overall quality combined with outstanding customer service/lifetime warranty keeps me coming back to them.

Also, if you like the 0300 style, but want to EDC it and not spend the $$$, I'd look at the 0350. Lighter scales, slightly thinner profile and less than half the price. But the beefiness where it matters. It's a winner.

Tacti-square
08-14-13, 04:50
Also, if you like the 0300 style, but want to EDC it and not spend the $$$, I'd look at the 0350. Lighter scales, slightly thinner profile and less than half the price. But the beefiness where it matters. It's a winner.

But as far as I know they don't make the 0350 in ODG
D:

krisjon
08-14-13, 10:07
But as far as I know they don't make the 0350 in ODG
D:

No, but if color is really the only issue, talk to this guy:

http://www.phillipdobson.com/Knife_Handles.html

He does beautiful G10 scales in any color for $50. You could be out the door with an ODG 0350 for less than $200.

horseman234
08-14-13, 18:51
A few months ago I picked up a ZT350 with metal scales in OD green. I've attached a picture, but my Iphone is not picking up the color correctly. You'll just have to trust me. :D

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u642/rideandslide1/photo6_zps21d9ea06.jpg

Socom Elite
08-15-13, 02:34
Off my campus I'd like a much more capable EDC that gets the job done. I've narrowed it down to these two, different as they are. The CRKT looks a lot more ergonomic, but the ZT is a goddamn tank. Then there's the price difference to take into account. Thoughts?

You couldn't have picked any two other knives that were that different from each other.

Why did you pick those two? They are nothing alike.

I personally would get the ZT as I had 2 and they are far superior of a knife. Though they are a lot more money.