PDA

View Full Version : Custom Barrel Nitriding Service-Best Quality Steel to Use?

WatersEdge
08-06-13, 12:11
What company is preferred for nitriding a barrel? I am having a custom barrel made (Non-AR type) and it needs to offer corrosion protection. Any big players that are GTG?

Also, what barrel steel is recommended for nitriding purposes. I want to use something better than 4140.

Does anyone know about what happened to the SS410 BCM barrel that Grant had done from a company up the road from him? Grant, what company did you use? Consensus?

I had heard Internet talk about nitriding generally being a no go for stainless.

What is a suburb barrel steel that will offer corrosion protection with the nitriding process?

WatersEdge
08-07-13, 11:54
Any thoughts?

awpk03s
08-07-13, 12:03
I have used Coal Creek Armory and H&M (www.blacknitride.com) for projects in the past, no barrels though. I've been happy with the results from each.

Magic_Salad0892
08-07-13, 21:30
Use Rock Creek barrels, because they're carbon steel. Which takes to Nitride treatments a lot better than Stainless Steel.

Mike Rock's barrels are 4150CMV, non chrome lined.

There's a reason that HK, Glock, and others use Carbon steels for their nitrided parts.

Mr blasty
08-08-13, 00:06
What company is preferred for nitriding a barrel? I am having a custom barrel made (Non-AR type) and it needs to offer corrosion protection. Any big players that are GTG?

Also, what barrel steel is recommended for nitriding purposes. I want to use something better than 4140.

Does anyone know about what happened to the SS410 BCM barrel that Grant had done from a company up the road from him? Grant, what company did you use? Consensus?

I had heard Internet talk about nitriding generally being a no go for stainless.

What is a suburb barrel steel that will offer corrosion protection with the nitriding process?

Stainless definitely improves certain properties when nitrided (hardness, tuffnes, etc. ) however it does lose some corrosion resistance in the process due to the nitrates it absorbs. Carbon steels when nitrided will be more corrosion resistant than un-nitrided SS. Many bench rest shooter's love nitrided ss do to the property's it gains however there not to concerned about corrosion resistance. My advice would be to find the most heat tolerant chromoly steel you can find (such as what's used in mg's and still generally a 4140) and get that nitrided. If it's for a precision rig then get a rock Creek and be done with it as there's are a high quality 4140 and nitrided.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2