PDA

View Full Version : Mormons in the Hood - Unexpected Ballers

cinco
08-06-13, 16:01
Thought you might enjoy a little humorous activity. Funny thing is some of the best basketball players I've known were Mormon. White boy can jump. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sysri2CqXrY

montanadave
08-06-13, 16:13
Kind of heartening to see these young men, black and white, earning (and showing) some mutual respect and doing it with smiles and laughter.

Not everyone is looking to ignite a race war.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-06-13, 16:15
Can anyone identify them as BYU players, maybe the scrimmage squad?

I like how they miss all the warm up shots, even have an airball- then can hit a fade away, baseline jumper.....

Some first class sportsmanship shown by everyone...

Sounds like the next project for the South Park guys...

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-13, 16:15
Good stuff, I liked how every one came out towards the end to watch. :cool:

cinco
08-06-13, 16:18
Kind of heartening to see these young men, black and white, earning (and showing) some mutual respect and doing it with smiles and laughter.

Not everyone is looking to ignite a race war.

Yep. Cool isn't it? That sort of interaction probably did more for their mission work (i.e. acceptability within the community) than anything else.

B Cart
08-06-13, 17:10
We used to play ball like that with a lot of people when I was on a mission in the West Indies, but we weren't anywhere near that good :p Those boys can throw down!

08-06-13, 17:33
95% LDS where I live. Good peeps. I play ball at a local park and see some pretty good LDS players come through. Strange to be playing with no cursing and excellent sportsmanship.

cinco
08-06-13, 18:04
95% LDS where I live. Good peeps. I play ball at a local park and see some pretty good LDS players come through. Strange to be playing with no cursing and excellent sportsmanship.

Ha! I think my Dad was a closet Mormon. His dad was a notorious local 1930's bootlegger,wife beater, thug, and run-away father (and God knows what else). My Dad never swore, drank and treated my Mom like a Queen. Big sports family - I think that is because what did give him a father figure. It was instilled at an early age the concept of sportsmanship. No whining, NEVER any smack talk, call the referee "Sir" and I DAMN well be sure to raise my hand and admit to a foul. I like to think that has worn off and is being passed on to a new generation. There are so MANY positive lessons to be learned from sports. To bad it seems to have switched to a polar opposite from my youth - now its so selfish and "I'm gonna get mine". I frickin' hate showboaters.