PDA

View Full Version : MP Sport, good base to upgrade?

maw1777
08-06-13, 19:06
I need to get my Dad an AR-15. Thinking either an MP sport or PSA patrol carbine. For the MP I would replace the sport" upper and BCG with YHM and Adams Arms piston kit. Which would make it about the price of the PSA patrol carbine.

I need to keep it around 1,100$

Split66
08-06-13, 19:09
Just buy a Colt 6920 and then he doesnt have to upgrade. You can get them at Walmart for $1097.

Inkslinger
08-06-13, 19:10
Try this.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-06-13, 19:11
I cant think of a worse idea than turning either of those rifles into an aftermarket piston gun AND THEN adding a YHM BCG. If you want to spend more money, buy either one and then buy an optic/sling/magazines/ammo/BUIS.

MarkG
08-06-13, 19:30
Just buy a Colt 6920 and then he doesnt have to upgrade. You can get them at Walmart for $1097.

I'll second that...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-06-13, 19:33
I also cant help but think that since the OP already has 96 posts, he shouldn't be asking questions like this anymore.

OP, read more, post a lot less. There is a treasure trove of information to be found on this forum in existing threads.

CrazyFingers
08-06-13, 19:34
Try this.

Or this: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=M4-650-112

Seriously, for the price point you've quoted, you can get a proven rifle with a known track record.
Do your dad a favor and don't give him some franken-abortion "rifle".

CrazyFingers
08-06-13, 19:37
OP, read more, post a lot less. There is a treasure trove of information to be found on this forum in existing threads.

This is not the first time he's been given such sage advice.

Zirk208
08-06-13, 19:40
Any reason why you can't purchase another of your DPMS tackdrivers?

I smell something under this bridge.

NYH1
08-06-13, 19:44
I'll second that...
What they said!

NYH1.

C4IGrant
08-06-13, 19:47
I need to get my Dad an AR-15. Thinking either an MP sport or PSA patrol carbine. For the MP I would replace the sport" upper and BCG with YHM and Adams Arms piston kit. Which would make it about the price of the PSA patrol carbine.

I need to keep it around 1,100$

Why would you replace the upper? Why would you add a Piston?

C4

Vendetta
08-06-13, 19:52
I also cant help but think that since the OP already has 96 posts, he shouldn't be asking questions like this anymore.

You say that like post count would mean something. Keep in mind most of his threads and posts have been closed and or deleted.

Like others have said, spend money on a Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, one of the top brands. You have some desire to buy crap then sit and upgrade all the parts. Much like your Glock thread, you "upgraded" an unnecessary part before you even shot the weapon.

I mean this in the mot constructive criticism way I can possibly say it, but you really need to stop posting and reading like many members and moderators have told you. Your posts, much like you not understanding why people would spend so much money on a weapon light when a $20 Colemen light works just as welll, clearly show that you have no idea when it comes to the hard use of weapons. All this upgrade crap sounds and looks great when you read about it, but there are many members here who have spent years, past and present, in combat arms and their lives, their teammates lives, and citizens of this country depend on them having quality gear and knowing how to run it. Those guys know what works and take time out of their day to post on here and give sound advice to guys like you.

Read more, post much less. Spend the money up front on a solid weapon like a Colt, DD, or BCM. Don't bother with all this "upgrade" BS. Odds are, your father has no need for a piston. A DI weapon from a solid manufacturer is the best thing you could do for your father.

zlc
08-06-13, 20:05
Any reason why you can't purchase another of your DPMS tackdrivers?

I smell something under this bridge.

+1

the OP is beyond ridiculous

Ryno12
08-06-13, 20:18
Get one made out of tungsten & chambered in 10mm... :rolleyes:

Sent via Tapatalk

Hart
08-06-13, 20:20

Bait....

That is the opening post

Heavy Metal
08-06-13, 20:21
Why do I get the feeling we are being trolled?

SeriousStudent
08-06-13, 20:24
At the risk of adding to the dogpile:

Unless your father has a .gov or .mil email address, he really does not need a piston gun. Most of the SME's here would tell you a piston gun excels in a narrow niche: a suppressed full-auto SBR with high volumes of fire. If your dad does that sort of work for a living, his employer will likely provide the firearms for him, thus saving you the cash.

I'd be happy as a clam if my son bought me a Colt 6920 or a BCM carbine. Both can be had for that $1,100 ballpark.

The folks encouraging you to read and search (and I personally recall telling you that exact thing) have offered valuable advice. You should do that.

It's a nice thing, buying your dad a carbine. I think I'll mention that idea to my son later night.