PDA

View Full Version : Who would you trust to build this rifle?

Chris17404
08-06-13, 19:50
Hi all,

If you wanted an AR dealer or gunsmith to build this AR for you as a base gun, either sending him/her the parts or having them acquire them all, who would you trust to do the job right for a fair price? For that matter, who would be willing and able to do it?

Upper

• Mil-spec forged upper
• Mil-spec upper parts kit
• Centurion Arms Hammer Forged Mid-length Lightweight Barrel
• Centurion CMR 14
• Mil-spec Bolt Carrier Group Full Auto (BCM, Centurion, Colt)
• Lo-pro Gas Block, pinned
• Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle

Lower

• Mil-spec forged lower
• Mil-Spec lower parts kit
• Vltor A5 receiver extension
• Vltor A5 spring and buffer kit
• B5 Systems QD Receiver Plate
• BCM GUNFIGHTER's Grip Mod 1
• ALG Defense ACT trigger
• Perhaps a few optional ambi or short-throw lower parts (smart suggestions?)

All other bolt-on parts including stock, sling, BUIS, light, and optic would be installed by me later.

Thoughts?

Chris

SeriousStudent
08-06-13, 20:34
I have had Robb Jensen at VA Arms do AR work for me, and found it to be well done, cost effective and performed in a timely manner.

https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=394

Toyoland66
08-06-13, 20:39
Nothing about that build is out of the ordinary to where you need a specialized builder. The only thing that is even out of the capability of your typical AR15 hobby builder is pinning the low pro gas block.

I would try to find somebody in your area that has good recommendations from the board, there isn't really any reason to ship parts around for what you want to do.

Alternately you could buy your components from a dealer that also offers gunsmithing services and have them assemble the upper and lower for you. Places like weapon outfitters, rainier arms, and G&R come to mind.

Chris17404
08-06-13, 20:52
Toyoland66,

I agree that there's nothing out of the ordinary here. But I do not have any of the necessary tools or experience to do the job right. I'm just looking for a turn-key option if one exists. Thanks.

Chris

NoveskeFan
08-06-13, 20:56
ADCO or Rainier Arms might be able to help you.
As far as Ambi controls, look into a BAD ASS Ambi selector.

Eric
08-06-13, 21:01
I would build it myself. However, it looks like Rainier Arms has most of the items on your list. It would be worth calling and discussing what you're looking for.

LoveAR
08-06-13, 21:02
First response gave excellent advice. Go with Robb Jenson at VA Arms. Not very far from you and very qualified to handle your request.

SteveS
08-06-13, 21:49
I would buy the closest to your parts selection BCM or Daniel Defense built rifle. They are of the best quality with a warranty.

LoveAR
08-06-13, 21:54
I would buy the closest to your parts selection BCM or Daniel Defense built rifle. They are of the best quality with a warranty.

That is what I was thinking too. I love my DDM4 V4 and can't imagine building the same for any less than what I paid to acquire it.

TehLlama
08-06-13, 22:53
I suspect you can get that complete upper direct from Centurion - or at least it was possible at some point to have them build it there. With or without BCG works.
The CH/BCG is gorilla proof from there on the top half.

The lower can be done pretty easily with a GOOD punch set, lube, electrical tape, a good castle nut wrench, patience, and YouTube.

The only part of building an AR that is particularly tool, skill, and later risk intensive is properly installing the barrel onto the upper with the handguard/nut of choice. This is the only part I've seen people screw up at home if they're not trying just smashing at things - and for the pieces required to do it right (torque wrench, vise, block, etc.) for less than two or three rifles it's cheaper to have that done elsewhere - fortunately places that sell complete barreled uppers are already extremely good at this.

thopkins22
08-06-13, 22:55
The lower can be done pretty easily with a GOOD punch set, lube, electrical tape, a good castle nut wrench, patience, and YouTube.

Yep...it's truly not that difficult(right up until you hit a snag.) The key is being able to stop when you think something is wrong and ante up and pay someone.

Surf's videos are hard to beat on YouTube. Better yet, get a panteao productions subscription for a month and watch the armorer video along with Surf's. It won't get into torque I don't think(don't remember) but it'll do most everything else.

hjmpanzr
08-06-13, 22:57
I have had Robb Jensen at VA Arms do AR work for me, and found it to be well done, cost effective and performed in a timely manner.

https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=394

Robb. He's done a bunch of work on my rifles. Perfect every time.

sammage
08-06-13, 23:03
Another vote for Robb Jensen, though I would buy a complete upper myself if it was me.

Sent from my PRC-112G via Quickdraw 2.

mtdawg169
08-07-13, 13:14
Does Robb pin gas blocks?

I'd recommend him as well if he does. He assembled a URX upper for me a couple of years ago. Excellent work, reasonable cost and good turnaround.

Stickman
08-07-13, 13:41
Why not buy a complete upper from Centurion Arms, and then buy the lower from whomever you decide?

The_War_Wagon
08-07-13, 13:49
Call Grant @ G&R Tactical. He can assemble what you want, and then you KNOW it'll work!

08-07-13, 14:06
Robb Jensen. Has done lots of work for me with all of it being gtg. As a matter of fact just received 5 lowers back yesterday he put together and they are, as always, excellent. Robb, if you read this, great work as usual.

SteveL
08-07-13, 14:20
Does Robb pin gas blocks?

I'd recommend him as well if he does. He assembled a URX upper for me a couple of years ago. Excellent work, reasonable cost and good turnaround.

I don't know if he pins them or not, but I know for a fact he shaves them. So if the OP buys a barrel with a pinned FSB in place then he's good to go if he's looking to have Robb do the work.

C4IGrant
08-07-13, 14:25
I would let Robb or IZguns build me a gun (no questions asked). I would of course let ME build ME a gun as well. :D

C4

snakedoctor
08-07-13, 14:40
Contact Roy at Weapon Outfitters.

Dannyh
08-07-13, 15:07
I'm not sure if Rainier Arms does this kind of work.. But I love doing business with them and would never suspect anything less than perfection from them.

Well that's from my experience with their customer service, I know they do small tasks such as pinning flash hiders or installing BB's before shipping.

Ask Dave, sales@rainierarms.com

Dannyh
08-07-13, 15:10
I'd build the lower myself.. Uppers scare me.

Just a honest man. I am studying up though, eventually I want to be a complete DIY'er on the AR.

RogerinTPA
08-07-13, 15:14
Why not buy a complete upper from Centurion Arms, and then buy the lower from whomever you decide?

Agreed, as it is the most logical course of action.

OP, why the hard on for having your choice put together to begin with when there are so many viable quality choice uppers and lowers that are readily available?

Boba Fett v2
08-07-13, 16:41
Hi all,

If you wanted an AR dealer or gunsmith to build this AR for you as a base gun, either sending him/her the parts or having them acquire them all, who would you trust to do the job right for a fair price? For that matter, who would be willing and able to do it?

Upper

• Mil-spec forged upper
• Centurion CMR 14

Lower

• Mil-spec forged lower

All other bolt-on parts including stock, sling, BUIS, light, and optic would be installed by me later.

Thoughts?

Chris

Hell I can do it. Send it to me. Anything that doesn't require welding, cutting or re-threading... otherwise it's about putting it all together with the right tools and the right amount of torque. ;)

Chris17404
08-07-13, 18:46
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I agree that a complete upper from Centurion Arms would be ideal, but did not know I could order an upper directly from them configured as I desire. I will look into that.

If that's possible, then the other part is the lower. The aspect I'd want done is the installation of the Vltor A5 system and ACT trigger. Does anyone sell complete lowers with the A5 installed? Perhaps Proto Tactical now that they have the Alliance rifle?

Of course, I'd want someone to test and verify that the upper and lower as configured functions 100%. This is where someone like Robb Jensen and his experience would be so valuable.

Chris

kwelz
08-07-13, 19:00
Me personally? I would build it. However if I didn't have the time or skill I would go to Robb, IG, Grant, or Joe at Superior Firearms (Mr. Smith on here).

Whatever you do don't take it to local bubba. Well unless your local bubba happens to be one of those already mentioned.

Airhasz
08-07-13, 19:15
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I agree that a complete upper from Centurion Arms would be ideal, but did not know I could order an upper directly from them configured as I desire. I will look into that.

If that's possible, then the other part is the lower. The aspect I'd want done is the installation of the Vltor A5 system and ACT trigger. Does anyone sell complete lowers with the A5 installed? Perhaps Proto Tactical now that they have the Alliance rifle?

Of course, I'd want someone to test and verify that the upper and lower as configured functions 100%. This is where someone like Robb Jensen and his experience would be so valuable.

Chris

As others have said build your own lower. I promise it will be a very rewarding experience. It is a very straight forward build and all on YouTube by many competent builders if you do a little searching. The receiver extension, buffer, spring and even staking the castle nut are straight forward also. Once you get the parts and the lower laid out on the bench it all makes sense. It feels good to know exactly how the lower works after assembling one.

Renegade
08-07-13, 19:43
Anyone who is serious about the AR platform should know how to do this.

You should use this opportunity to find someone local who will work with you to do it with you, thus allowing you to gain valuable knowledge. And while you are shopping for gun parts get the tools too. They are not expensive at all.

Teach a man to fish, vs give a man a fish.

Fuzzy-Reticle
08-07-13, 20:22
Call those guys at Red Jacket. I bet they can come up with a "game changer" for you. :D

Seriously. ADCO.

Grizzlyatoms
08-07-13, 21:04
Hi all,

Upper

• Mil-spec forged upper
• Centurion CMR 14

Lower

• Mil-spec forged lower

Thoughts?

Chris

Buy the tools and do it yourself, the AR is essentially plug n play

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2