PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies?

checkmyswag
08-06-13, 23:03
Yes, I know these are just fancied up express models, but I don't see them for sale hardly at all on gunbroker or gun shows/shops.

Are they producing less than they once did or only doing custom work?

Learn me!

SkiDevil
08-26-13, 22:08
The shotguns are still listed in the Wilson's catalog and website.

Link: http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-standard.asp#.UhwV5PdZ7vR

What exactly would you like to know?

Have you tried calling them directly or sent a pm to the Wilson's representative on the M4C board (here)?

p.s. These guns are not "like an express model" if you have the opportunity to handle and fire both you will definitely see a difference.

bluejackets92fs
08-26-13, 22:56
Not really beefed up express models. Do I think you can build something similar for less? Absolutely. Do they perform superior to a standard express? Yes. The attention to detail on one is stunning. You will definitely see a difference if you handle one.

SeriousStudent
08-26-13, 23:41
The shotguns are still listed in the Wilson's catalog and website.

Link: http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-standard.asp#.UhwV5PdZ7vR

What exactly would you like to know?

Have you tried calling them directly or sent a pm to the Wilson's representative on the M4C board (here)?

p.s. These guns are not "like an express model" if you have the opportunity to handle and fire both you will definitely see a difference.

What a splendid idea!

M4C is very fortunate to have representatives from companies spend time here, helping users who seek info. OP, you might follow this advice, I suspect it will be very helpful.

Vlobb
08-27-13, 14:14
Everything Wilson makes is incredibly high quality and it's backed by the best customer service of ANY company I've ever done business with. I had the opportunity to run a Wilson Standard 870 next to my customized 870P and dare I say... the Wilson was slightly better. The finish is great, the action runs smooth and solid and it's a great weapon overall. What I've seen Remington putting out these days makes me seriously wonder what the **** they're doing over there. I would not take a rack grade 870 Express today and put it to use as a serious defense gun before it had some going over.

While the prices of Wilson's SG's seem high.... they really aren't that bad, they have some value in them. I'll break down the cost of what I spent on a build. When I added it all up a few months ago I was pretty surprised.

* All these prices include tax and shipping. These are the prices of the parts that I run on it now and does not reflect the numerous parts I tired and got rid of. I don't even want to add that shit up!

870P BUILD

- Model # 24899 (Blue/Walnut 4+1) $483
- Transfer/NICS $56.05
- Tank's Wide Action Release $61.40
- Adjust Action Bar Lock (Tank's) $15
- XS Tritium Big Dot $58
- S&J Hardware Follower $15
- Nighthawk Custom Safety $17.42
- Wilson Combat +1 Mag Extension $54.95
- Wolff Extra Power Mag Spring $11.99
- MAGPUL Stock, Forend, Rail & SuperCell Recoil Pad $143.82
- INFORCE WML HSP with IWC HSP Offset Mount $161.95
$1078.58

Now I sill plan to add Wilson's ghost ring sights ($140 + shipping and insurance both ways) to this but I'm on the fence about having them refinish it too. That's another $250 which puts me at over $1500 when it's all said and done. If I had it to do it over again, I'd buy their Border Patrol model and add the above light, furniture and safety and be done with it. In fact, once I leave NJ for PA in a few months, I'm going to order a 14" BP SBS.

KiloSierra
09-14-13, 20:41
I've looked at and handled some of the Wilson Combat Scattergun Technologies guns and I've built a similar gun myself. I did come out substantially cheaper but that's because I looked around and found some of the parts on Ebay for a substantial discount and the gunsmith who installed the sights gave me a discount and I started out with a used gun. If I figured up all the time he took and I took to build it and multiplied it by shop rates, added the normal retail cost of the parts I got good to great deals on and added the cost of a new gun I would have ended up within $100 less then a WC/ST gun and have no warranty for any defects in the gun or parts other then the Surefire forearm and the gun had less resale value.

For me it was a good trade off to build it myself. But if I had the money to buy it and wasn't inclined to tinker and build everything I can and/or was limited in time I would have bought a Wilson Combat or other similar makers 870 and saved myself a lot of time and effort.

Todd762
09-16-13, 06:26
In todays market when purchasing a firearm I look at the warranty and customer service. If I could get a warrantied 870 in the configuration I wanted from Wilson within a few hundred dollars of my building it myself, then I would buy it from Wilson. When you customize it, then that usually voids the warranty from the manufacturer. If you had a problem with your customized 870 and sent it back to Remington then you might be out of luck. I say MAY because I have no direct experience in that particular situation with Remington.

If something breaks on a Wilson shotgun, give them a call and see if they could resolve it with a part or sending it in. I have done business with Wilson in the past starting in the 90's with night sight installs on slides of the 1911's I carried as a police officer. I was always pleased with the service I received.

Bottom line, all quality firearms are getting very expensive. Be sure you chose who is going to back your choice if something comes up. Sometimes paying a few extra dollars will save you $ down the road.