PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 308 Win 155 gr A-MAX® Match™ 8095PM

CRT2
08-07-13, 09:47
For information. I've read the data on their 308 ammunition and missed this before. Per Hornady, the 308 Win 155 gr A-MAX Match is not recommended for semi-auto firearms. Pressure issue.

TheBelly
08-07-13, 11:44
For information. I've read the data on their 308 ammunition and missed this before. Per Hornady, the 308 Win 155 gr A-MAX Match is not recommended for semi-auto firearms. Pressure issue.

I don't think the ammo can tell whether it's in a semi or bolt gun.

If the barrel is rated for .308, then does it matter whether or not the gun is semi or bolt?

This is a pretty interesting topic to me, as I'm thinking of going to 155 route for my .308, which is a LaRue.

CRT2
08-07-13, 12:04
I don't think the ammo can tell whether it's in a semi or bolt gun.

If the barrel is rated for .308, then does it matter whether or not the gun is semi or bolt?

This is a pretty interesting topic to me, as I'm thinking of going to 155 route for my .308, which is a LaRue.

This is the message I received from the Hornady Tech: "Are you referring to the polymer match if so they have a lot more pressure than your stander round." I replied with: "Referring to: 308 Win 155 gr A-MAX® Match™ SKU: 8095PM | 20/BX Thank you." Waiting for response from Hornady.

I too want to use the 155 A-MAX but in an LMT MWS. I have a few hundred rounds. We will see.

darr3239
08-07-13, 12:34
For M1s and M14s it matters. For AR 308s not much at all with factory ammo.

TheBelly
08-07-13, 13:02
My guess is that the load might be pushing the limits of saami spec pressures.

Why does it matter in an M1/M14? (I just don't know, so I'm curious)

I'm still anxiously awaiting the word back from Hornady.

CRT2
08-07-13, 13:07
It may fall in the same category as Hornady 75 grain Superformance. Not supposed to be used in semi-auto; however, I'm using it in my DD M4 V5 without issues - so far. Brass and primer dimples seem ok.

duece71
08-07-13, 19:23
I have used Hornady 178gr AMAX in the factory loading in my LMT MWS and accuracy was much worse than the Federal offerings in 175gr and 168gr (Sierra Matchkings). Some one on here told me that the 178gr AMAX was not intended for the semi auto .308. I would like to here what Hornady has to say on the 155gr AMAX. I have used the 155gr Steel Match and it was very accurate and function was flawless.

Fighting Tenth
08-07-13, 23:37
Why does it matter in an M1/M14? (I just don't know, so I'm curious).

Port pressures on the gas system being too high, with damage to rifle components soon to follow.
Most definately matters on older 7.62mm gas guns like the M14 & M1(conversions of course) where gas volume can't be adjusted.
I think too it matters on 7.62mm ARs; they are probably just wearing the beating they are taking better than their older siblings with the bolt taking it on the chin for the rest of the rifle.

TheBelly
08-08-13, 05:19
Port pressures on the gas system being too high, with damage to rifle components soon to follow.
Most definately matters on older 7.62mm gas guns like the M14 & M1(conversions of course) where gas volume can't be adjusted.
I think too it matters on 7.62mm ARs; they are probably just wearing the beating they are taking better than their older siblings with the bolt taking it on the chin for the rest of the rifle.

This is interesting to me. Thanks for the information!

CRT2
08-08-13, 06:23
This is interesting to me. Thanks for the information!

If you would like a more in-depth description of this "gas" issue, the Hornady site does a good job. http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

TheBelly
08-08-13, 06:47
If you would like a more in-depth description of this "gas" issue, the Hornady site does a good job. http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

Ahhhhhh...... Thanks for this link. It's a good read, especially since I'm a visual learner.

CRT2
08-08-13, 11:42
From the Hornady Tech: "This box was labeled wrong. I have fired many of these rounds thru my semi-auto."

JimmyB62
08-13-13, 18:49
In the original post the product was referred to as polymer match. I believe that product code is for Palma Match after the, we'll, Palma Rifle match. Competitors use heavy bolt guns which, presumedly, is why Hornady loads the ammo as they do.

CRT2
08-14-13, 05:38
In the original post the product was referred to as polymer match. I believe that product code is for Palma Match after the, we'll, Palma Rifle match. Competitors use heavy bolt guns which, presumedly, is why Hornady loads the ammo as they do.

The remark about polymer match was a question from the Hornady TECH. On their website, this is the particular round. http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-155-gr-Match/

JimmyB62
08-14-13, 06:12
Right, it's known as the Palma Match, which is what the PM stands for. The only point I was making is that it is intended for bolt guns. Not sure why Hornady doesn't call it that anymore but resellers still do. Here's one;

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-8095PM-308-Win-155gr-Palma-Mtch-(Per-20).html