PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on a scale.

polymorpheous
08-07-13, 12:27
I have a Hornady GS1500 digital scale.
Well during my recent move it must have picked up a gremlin.
If I place a 55gr FMJ on it, it will read around 254gr and drift until the scale shuts itself off.
It's toast.

I had a Lee beam scale that came with my Challenger kit, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

So I need to find a scale.
Recommendations?

I have a Dillon 550, should I just be a brand whore and get their beam scale?

Pork Chop
08-07-13, 12:32
When I was looking into this a few months ago, I found that the majority of brand name beam scales were all made by OHAUS anyway. I just shopped around for the best deal and ended up with an RCBS. It was a little cheaper than the Dillon. I can't help with a digital. My cheap Hornady still works.

polymorpheous
08-07-13, 12:38
Yeah, I don't know what happened to the Hornady.
It was always kept in its little padded box when not in use.
Gave it fresh batteries, no bueno.
Funny thing is, it passes the calibration test weight.
I'm going to contact Hornady about it, but I need a beam scale big time.

Pork Chop
08-07-13, 12:45
I got an RCBC 510 off of Amazon for like $50 or $60 if I recall? You might find a good deal on fleabay?

Either way, I bet Hornady will replace your scale. Their customer service is outstanding.

steyrman13
08-07-13, 12:46
Yeah, I don't know what happened to the Hornady.
It was always kept in its little padded box when not in use.
Gave it fresh batteries, no bueno.
Funny thing is, it passes the calibration test weight.
I'm going to contact Hornady about it, but I need a beam scale big time.

My cousin had a rcbs dig that did something similar right out of the box and they are replacing it. Hornady has a one like his that is made by the same company just different color and stickers. Pm me about a balance scale. I have a few

polymorpheous
08-07-13, 12:54
Found a good deal on eBay.

Ryno12
08-07-13, 12:58
I was looking into a new digital scale myself because I fell into this groove of loading all my rifle rounds via single stage. So, I thought I'd kill two birds & I picked up a Hornady Lock n Load Auto Charge while it was on sale at midway. Now I've been using that for all my weighing needs. Despite its mediocre reviews, I dig it. I know that's not quite what you're looking for but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
08-07-13, 13:00
I was looking into a new digital scale myself because I fell into this groove of loading all my rifle rounds via single stage. So, I thought I'd kill two birds & I picked up a Hornady Lock n Load Auto Charge while it was on sale at midway. Now I've been using that for all my weighing needs. Despite its mediocre reviews, I dig it. I know that's not quite what you're looking for but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Sent via Tapatalk

We're not all independently wealthy.

:)

Ryno12
08-07-13, 13:15
We're not all independently wealthy.

:)

:D.
I actually just got my truck paid off last month & I also just refinanced my house so I didn't have a payment this month. Right now, I'm rollin' in it... albeit only temporarily. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
08-07-13, 13:39
I have the Lyman electronic scale and dispenser, and it works like a champ so far. It does need to be re-calibrated every so often, but it is no big deal. Checked against an old beam scale it gives accurate results for me.

Biggest advantage to the electronic dispenser/scale is running test loads, and any loads that use coarse extruded powders like IMR4350 or IMR4831 that won't meter for shit through a powder thrower. I virtually never bother to use the auto dispensing system for short cut powders or ball powders.

CrazyFingers
08-07-13, 15:35
I use this little guy:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

It has an overwhelming number of positive reviews, and it won't break the bank. Personally I've found it to be repeatable and reliable.

Ranger325
08-07-13, 16:28

I have a Dillon beam scale that my brother gave me along with a SDB press when I started reloading about 10 years ago. It has served me well and I would not hesitate to recommend it. I guess that and my new'ish 550 makes me a 'Blue Press Whore'. There - I said it!! :D

Tzed250
08-07-13, 16:47
The RCBS 10-10 is accurate and easy to use. Quite a few used scales on the bay if you are inclined in that direction.

polymorpheous
08-07-13, 18:06
Yeah, I'm looking to get a Dillon beam scale and RCBS trickled for $50.

SPQR476
08-07-13, 18:10
I've got an RCBS chargemaster that has been my primary for over five years. Much to my dismay, when setting up to load a bunch of .50 last night, the "charge" part no longer works. Scale still checks 5.0, and it's seen a LOT of use over five years. I'll never go back to a beam as my primary, though I keep a Lyman as a spare.

I've got a Redding trickler that is awesome. It's stout, heavy, and precise.

JasonA
08-07-13, 18:10
I use this little guy:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

It has an overwhelming number of positive reviews, and it won't break the bank. Personally I've found it to be repeatable and reliable.

I've only been reloading for the last 18 months and have been using this scale. It's definitely not the best, but not bad for the money. I'm on my second one though. The first one started bouncing around on me. I called the manufacturer and they sent me another free of charge, but I will probably be replacing it with something of better quality in the near future when I start reloading more. I would like a scale that will last longer than 8 months, especially when I'm only using it to check approx. 1 out of every 8 charges and have only reloaded ~3000 rounds.

Doug in Alaska
08-07-13, 21:56
I've been reloading for around forty years and I'm still using a RCBS balance beam scale. I'd like to give a digital scale a try but I reload in my shop which is lit with fluorescent tubes and have heard bad things about this combo. Anyway, the RCBS has served me very well.

Alaskapopo
08-07-13, 22:41
I hate beam scales as they take way too long and time is precious for me. I have been using a Dillon electronic scale that has worked over 16 years or so. I recently upgraded to a another electronic scale with a powder trickler attachmen to it.

bb223
08-07-13, 23:00
I have a Dillon beam scale that my brother gave me along with a SDB press when I started reloading about 10 years ago. It has served me well and I would not hesitate to recommend it. I guess that and my new'ish 550 makes me a 'Blue Press Whore'. There - I said it!! :D

Same.

I have the Dillon balance beam and I love it.

Have loaded thousands of rounds in almost a dozen different calibers on it and every one has been perfect.

Hehuhates
08-09-13, 15:48
I use this little guy:

I've been using this when I load on the progressive. It's close enough for that but I have found a plus minus of about .3gr Do any of you know of a pocket scale that is more accurate?

SMJayman
08-10-13, 13:31
I had a Dillon electronic scale that just gave up the ghost last week after about 9 years of good service. Being the cheap person that I am, I picked up a beam scale instead. I don't find it to be any slower than an electronic, and it is not subject to drift or the need to recalibrate. I might buy another electronic at some point, but right now I don't see the need.

frankgh22
08-11-13, 07:07
I have been using a RCBS beam scale for 10+ years and the only time it drifts is when I hit the wheel :) Only the lucky or more expensive digital scales seem to be free of drift. For powder, one decimal place is more than fine (I lose that much in static). For .243 cal bullets and below, a little more accuracy is good.

T2C
08-11-13, 07:40
I have a Hornady GS1500 digital scale.
Well during my recent move it must have picked up a gremlin.
If I place a 55gr FMJ on it, it will read around 254gr and drift until the scale shuts itself off.
It's toast.

I had a Lee beam scale that came with my Challenger kit, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

So I need to find a scale.
Recommendations?

I have to turn off the dehumidifier located 5 feet from my reloading bench when measuring charge weights on my RCBS digital scale. Have you tried relocating your scale and checking it again? Sometimes a fluorescent light will have an effect on a scale. If the scale is located near a refrigerator or any other appliance that runs around the clock, that might have an effect on your scale.

I have an old RCBS 5-0-5 scale that is dead nuts accurate and I would recommend it if you have the funds. I also have the hand held RCBS powder trickler and it works well.

Scoby
08-11-13, 08:01
Can't comment on the electronic scales as I have no experience with them.

I've had a Lyman beam scale for 30 years now.
It is showing it's age aesthetically but is still dead nuts on.

I don't do "bulk" loadings so speed is not really a factor for me.
The most I'll do in one sitting is about 200 rds.

shootist~
08-11-13, 13:32
This is one of those cases where the old adage "They just don't make 'em like they used too" applies.

My older 110v electronic was going TU last year so I decided to go with a top line balance beam (not my first - I lost a good one in my last move. I also have an ancient, but accurate, non-dampened Reddding as a 3rd backup.

Bought a new Redding (IIRC) and it absolutely would not stay zeroed. Pisser, but maybe it was just a freak. Sent it back and went with the RCBS 10-10. Better, but I still have to check it often and confidence factor is moderate at best - (but better than a brand new electronic scale mentioned below). I think the plastic "V" the beam rides in is the culprit - these used to be machined into the metal base.

Just received a new 110v electric scale last week - same brand as I've had for ~15 years. It will vary much more than the +/- 0.1 grains I expected. Measuring the same sample back-to-back I've seen it vary by between 0.2 - 0.3 grains a couple of times. Also verified by checking against the balance beam.

My advice is just get a good brand balance beam scale, if you can find one. I just no longer trust electronic scales - but I'm limited on what I've used. A balance beam as a backup, if you have to go electronic, is not a bad plan either.

polymorpheous
08-13-13, 09:48
Well, Hornady won't help.
Warranty is expired.

Guess I'll buy Dillon or RCBS from now on.

rm06
08-13-13, 17:36
I have been using one of these for over a year. I'm very happy with it.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html

Warranty seems to be good on these units as well though I don't have any experience with it.

Turnkey11
08-17-13, 22:59
RCBS Chargemaster dump/scale combo here, bought the parts individually a couple years apart. Id never go back to a beam.