PDA

View Full Version : M&P Shield IWB holster

Sam
08-07-13, 13:37
I finally found a Shield at a reasonable price a few months ago after looking for almost a year. I'm very impressed with the gun, more so than my old M&P compact. The compact was a bit thick and the Shield is so thin. While the recoil on the Shield is sharper than bigger gun, it is very controllable and accurate. But this is not about how the gun shoots, there are many threads that discussed the shooting aspect of the gun. This is about the new holster I got for it.

When I finally decided that the gun is a keeper and I would carry it most of the time, I went in search for a good IWB rig for it. The first one I found was a kydex scabbard by Dark Star Gear that my buddy had. He was the first kid on the block in my area to have the Shield. The kydex rig fit the gun well and since it's a vertical ride rig, it can be worn as an appendix holster and also as a conventional hip holster. I considered this holster as a temporary until I can find a more permanent solution.

I have one of the first Alessi PCH inside the waist holster for my 1911s. I've always like the rig, especially since it was made during Lou Alessi's supervision of the shop before his illness that took his life. When Lou's health was in decline, his old business partner Skip Ritchie was asked to help out in the shop. After Lou passed away, Skip and his brother Bob acquired the rights to produce their version of Lou's lineup. They are also based in the same area as Lou's shop. By the way, the original Alessi company is under the supervision of Tom Kulwicki (I hope I spelled his name correctly), and they are still making the entire lineup of fine holsters.

I know that both the Alessi and Ritchie shops can turn out fine holsters. My selection came down to who has the shortest turnaround. It turned out that the Ritchie shop has a shorter wait and their price was a little less. So I went with their Stakeout version of the PCH.

They did not disappoint me. The holster arrived and I wore it the first day and almost everyday since. Combined with the little Shield, the set up is just about perfect. Light, compact, secure and hidden. I've worn the combination with shorts and t-shirt doing various chores in the past couple weeks. Sometimes I forget that the gun is even there.

Here it is:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG969.jpeg

Back side view:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG995.jpeg

Its wide and paddle shape helps distribute the footprint of the holster on the hip and reduces the pressure the gun/holster puts on your side.

The holster was a little tight, so the gun went into a plastic bag to help stretch the leather to fit a little less tight. The holster on the left was the Dark Star Gear kydex.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG970.jpeg

I can't stress how comfortable and concealable this holster and gun is. Anyone looking for a leather IWB, check it out. It's not cheap but it's made to last.

For the kydex fans, move along, there's nothing to see here. :D

LonghunterCO
08-07-13, 13:49
Nice looking rigs! I had a chance to pick one up when they first came out but now they are no where to be found.