PDA

View Full Version : HK P30 ???

blackscot
04-17-08, 11:30
Just wondering if anyone can provide comment (good or bad) on this one.

Happen to spot one when I had stopped to pick-up some ammo. Casually asked for a lookie, and felt pretty damn good. Fit my hand actually better than the M&P9 I owned for awhile, which tended to squirm a bit for me, I think because of the rather narrow frontstrap. The HK P30 has a broader frontstrap along with finger grooves, which I'm one of those people that actually like if they are not too deep or narrow (the P30's felt perfect). Like the M&P series, backstraps are interchangeable, but for the P30 the side panels are as well. Would all this accommodation allow me to finally improve on the less-than-perfect fit my current Glock 19 provides?

Donwsides? The USP-ish slide is bulkier than I'm used to, but maybe I'd get used to that. Likewise, the DA-to-SA transition would definitely take some getting used to, but I can see there being an advantage with that feature for a self-defense piece. Never had a gun with the lever-type mag release, so not sure on that. Likewise, the decocker is a button on the back end of the slide -- never even seen that before. Last but not least, the price tag is typical HK hefty.

I am so far utterly ignorant on much else: handling, reliability, longevity/ruggedness, replacement-sight options, etc. Anybody got anything to add from a owned-one/shot-one perspective? Would appreciate any edification -- thanks. ;)

Oh, and here are some pics I borrowed off the HK web site. I think it's a fairly nice looking piece, if that matters.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/pistols/P30_links.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/pistols/P30_liegend.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/pistols/P30_griff_schalen.jpg

BushmasterFanBoy
04-17-08, 12:07
Shooting is expensive. You'll spend thousands of dollars on ammo, hundreds on match fees, perhaps several hundred more on training, then even more on accessories. The gun is usually the cheapest part of the whole shooting equation. If you don't shoot alot, then sure, the gun is expensive. But then again HK weapons are not made for the guy who throws down a box of ammo a month.

I had the chance to fondle one and I liked it. I posted a review of the similar HK45 on here somewhere, so check that out for my opinions. If it's as reliable as the larger HK45, then you'll have no worries.

Wayne Dobbs
04-17-08, 12:38
Larry Vickers was pretty high on P30s when we were discussing 9mm service gun choices earlier this year. I consider his recommendations very reliable.

VA_Dinger
04-17-08, 13:19
The two friends of mine who own P30's think very highly of them. Both are also outstanding shooters.

I would not hesitate to buy one and probably will at some point down the road.

ToddG
04-17-08, 13:39
If I were to go back to shooting a TDA ("DA/SA") gun, the P30 would probably be my first choice. The triggers are mediocre and the mag catch is not as ergonomic in my opinion as a traditional reversible button, but the guns are accurate and reliable. I, too, was concerned about the decocker location but after shooting one a bit it's a perfectly functional location.

Find someone doing a decent action job, find some night sights, and it's a wholly acceptable sidearm.

P7M8
04-17-08, 14:19
I had one issue that resulted in my selling the P30. If you use a thumbs forward grip, your shooting thumb may ride the slide release putting just enough pressure to prohibit it from locking the slide back on an empty mag.

I chose not to alter my grip for one handgun. I've been shooting like this for years and didn't want to re-train and change muscle memory. I've read that there are others who have this issue. We're probably the exception rather than the rule.

Trigger reset is rather long.

Saginaw79
04-17-08, 14:27
If I ever go back to the private security sector or decide I need a 9mm that will be the one and I do not like 9s

olds442tyguy
04-17-08, 15:41
I'm in the same boat as you. I finger raped a P30 awhile back and I was really impressed. It's a little pricier than I like, but I'd still like to get one in the future.

sigmundsauer
04-17-08, 19:52
I have been running a P30 for a few months now and have been very impressed with the results. My only legitimate complaint is that trigger reset is long and sloppy compared to other pistols.

Prior to my P30 I had been running P2000s in V3 and V2 (LEM) with great success. I have never experienced a malfunction in any of them despite thousands of rounds, deliberately not lubing them, and generally trying to get them to hiccup. No luck, just stone cold reliable.

Accuracy in my P30 has been exceptional. And although the DA trigger stroke was rather stiff when new it has slicked up very nicely and compares favorably if not better than the well broken in DA triggers on my P220-series SIGs. It is good and I'm not a fan of lightening mainsprings.

The P30 is becoming one of my favorite nines. Although, my P2000 in LEM holds the throne right now.

There is simply no mag release system faster or more secure than HK's paddle. It must be used to be appreciated and works best with the trigger finger.

Tim

yrac
04-17-08, 20:09
A quote from LAV:

The HK P30 is the Mercedes of mid-sized service pistols. You will not be limited by its performance.

I purchased one recently. Only several hundred rounds through it, so I can't comment on reliability at this point. However, as WD pointed out above, Larry is very complimentary of both the reliability and accuracy of the gun. That endorsement covers the reliability issue for me.

I am switching from a G19. I am holding noticeably tighter groups inside 25-yds with the P30 compared to the G19. For me, it is a much more comfortable gun to handle. I have small hands, so I am using the small backstrap and side panels. Even though the grip is slightly longer than the G19, I find that it conceals quite well for me because it is relatively slim. The DA/SA takes a bit of getting used to, but I am adapting quickly. I am a lefty, and find the paddle mag release to be extremely fast. In addition, I find that the mags drop free much more quickly than my drop-free G19 mags. Like the M&P, the P30 also has an ambi slide stop. However, it is much more substantial than that on the M&P. This has made my slide-lock reloads much faster, as I can operate the slide release the same way right-handers take for granted - no need to come over top and rack the slide. I have had no problems riding the slide stop. My support thumb sits nearly on the pivot point, so it just doesn't have enough leverage at that point to prevent the slide from locking.

Drawbacks: The sights. I'll replace the factory sights with a decent set of night sights when available. Also, mags are roughly twice as expensive as Glock mags. I paid $31 each recently. That said, the mags are not as cramped as G19 mags. I can stuff 15 rounds in the mags and still have a little bit of play in the springs. I have to work hard to get 15 in my G19 mags, so I download them to 14. No need for this with the P30. If you carry IWB-appendix, holster availability is an issue at this point. While some makers advertise an "appendix" holster for the P30, I don't find them to be well designed for that mode of carry. If you carry at 4 o'clock (8 o'clock for lefties), there are a number of IWB holsters available. Comp-Tac makes several IWB models for the P30. Hope that helps.

Tommy Vercetti
04-17-08, 20:24
I have been running a P30 for a few months now and have been very impressed with the results. My only legitimate complaint is that trigger reset is long and sloppy compared to other pistols.

Prior to my P30 I had been running P2000s in V3 and V2 (LEM) with great success. I have never experienced a malfunction in any of them despite thousands of rounds, deliberately not lubing them, and generally trying to get them to hiccup. No luck, just stone cold reliable.

Accuracy in my P30 has been exceptional. And although the DA trigger stroke was rather stiff when new it has slicked up very nicely and compares favorably if not better than the well broken in DA triggers on my P220-series SIGs. It is good and I'm not a fan of lightening mainsprings.

The P30 is becoming one of my favorite nines. Although, my P2000 in LEM holds the throne right now.

There is simply no mag release system faster or more secure than HK's paddle. It must be used to be appreciated and works best with the trigger finger.

Tim

As a current P30 owner I thought I'd chime in here. After having owned one for 2+ months now, and 630 bobble free rounds downrange, I can second hand verify pretty much all of sigmundsauer observations, including the trigger(once broken in)being very much like an older representative of the Sig 220 series. Heck, one of the reasons I bought it was because HK makes guns like Sig used to. Pure unadulterated German craftsmanship(which depending on your individual tastes may, or may not be, a good thing, I happen to be a fan). Unfortunately German law prohibits the use of any radioactive material which of course includes tritium. The factory sights in turn leave much to be desired, and my only real complaint with the P30 out of the box. However, this last Monday I received my Heinie Straight Eights(the HK45, 45c, and P30 all use the same sights)put them on, and am now COMPLETELY satisfied with this pistol. Highly recommend the P30 to anyone in the market for a traditional DA/SA 9mm.:)

Wayne Dobbs
04-18-08, 09:34
However, this last Monday I received my Heinie Straight Eights(the HK45, 45c, and P30 all use the same sights)

Tommy,

You may have just created a "mini run" on Heinie sights! I didn't know (and I bet others didn't either) that the sights were more or less universal across the HK spectrum.

Good news!

ToddG
04-18-08, 11:04
The slidelock/grip issue is something that can come up with just about any pistol given the right (or wrong) person, so my guess is that P7M8 was exactly right that it will be a "some people" thing. FWIW, it's a real issue for people transitioning to a SIG since the slide release lever is so far back on the frame. Nonetheless, it takes very little time to adjust your grip. The folks who seem to have the biggest issue are serious 1911 shooters, since the ideal "SIG grip method" has your strong side thumb move outboard by a fraction of an inch rather than being up against the gun. It took me about a week of serious training before my slide would lock back consistently when I switched from Berettas to SIGs. But after that, the number of times it failed to lock back could be counted on my fingers over five years and about 200k rounds.

Transitioning from a consistent trigger action to a DA/SA is also obviously going to require effort but isn't that hard if you practice the right way. Like anything else, there are benefits and costs.

variablebinary
04-18-08, 11:09
The P30 is outstanding. Feels great and shoots better than the USP IMHO

sigmundsauer
04-18-08, 12:14
Incidentally, I am notorious for dumping pistols, good pistols because my thumb rides the slide lock. I refuse to make any major adjustments to my prefered aggressive thumbs-forward grip. If I find a pistol that it's not compatible with, regardless of how good, I usually discard the pistol.

This is the single problem that I've experienced with HK's in general; I often ride the slide stop and prevent locking on empty on my unaltered P2000s. However I quickly learned to mix up a dollop of JB Weld and build it up behind the slide lock on the grip frame, which steers my thumb away from the slide lever and averts any problems. Although perfectly functional, and it does not betray the aesthetics of the black plastic pistol, it is not IDPA-legal. So, my fix was to start shooting the P30. The slight ergonomic differences and recontouring of the slide stop lever do not present a problem to me, and required very little effort to adapt my grip and steer my thumbs just a hair under the slide lever. All is well, and that pistol shoots well.

Having used the Heine Straight-Eights on my token 1911 - a Nighthawk T3, I really like them a lot. And I'll definitely put them on my short list of upgrades to the P30.

Tim

Saginaw79
04-18-08, 12:20
I have never used the 'straight eights' not sure how I feel about them just yet

Hootiewho
04-18-08, 12:26
Anyone have any idea when the LEM version of this pistol will be available, or what would be involved in converting one of the exsisting SA/DA versions to LEM?

M4arc
04-18-08, 15:51
Anyone have any idea when the LEM version of this pistol will be available, or what would be involved in converting one of the exsisting SA/DA versions to LEM?

I was poking around on the hkpro.com site and a H&K CS rep stated that they will only be offering the P30 in the configuration it's in now.

Saginaw79
04-18-08, 15:52
Me and my frined hit the local fun shop where they had quite a few.

Hes going back to pick one up in the next day or so and I am seriously considering it!

Thats saying something, we both love HKs but arent 9mm guys

ToddG
04-18-08, 16:16
I was poking around on the hkpro.com site and a H&K CS rep stated that they will only be offering the P30 in the configuration it's in now.

FWIW, that was my understanding as of SHOT. The P30 isn't modular like the USP and HK45. The U.S. branch of H&K is trying to convince the Germans to create, in essence, a "HK9" and "HK40" to fill out the family that way.

sigmundsauer
04-18-08, 17:55
The original marketing literature on the P30 touted the LEM as an offering, and clearly the photo posted above is in fact an LEM P30. I'm not sure I believe all the HK-USA reps. Regurgitating what some German said isn't the same thing as the pistol not being able to be retro-fitted with the LEM.

Between my V3 and V2 P2000s, the only difference is that the frame on the V3 versions have a relief cut to permit the decocker clearance, absent on the LEM versions. Theoretically a pistol can be converted to LEM and retain the decocker. Either way, HK USA won't do or recommend the conversion unless they get the green light from HK.

There are internal parts that I've retrofitted between the two that weren't "supposed" to work, but did.

I wouldn't make any promises though. The LEM kit for the HK45 supposedly is not compatible with the HK45C.

So be it.

Tim

S-1
04-18-08, 20:35
I fondled a P30 the other day and I really liked how it felt. I think I'll hold out on one until HK brings the P30 "L" here to the US. THAT will be one sweet pistol.

Tommy Vercetti
04-19-08, 00:32
However, this last Monday I received my Heinie Straight Eights(the HK45, 45c, and P30 all use the same sights)

Tommy,

You may have just created a "mini run" on Heinie sights! I didn't know (and I bet others didn't either) that the sights were more or less universal across the HK spectrum.

Good news!

LOL! Good for team Heinie if I did, and good on HK for at least making the sights universal amongst the HK45, 45c, and the P30(would have been nicer still if they had designed this line to cross-fit sights with the USP line).;) After calling Heinie to inquire about sights for the P30, I was told they were only making sights for the HK45 at present time. I thought they looked pretty much the same from what I had seen through cursory glances, but to be sure I actually made a trip back to my favorite fun store(Jensen Arms in Loveland Colorado)for the sole purpose of confirming the sights were indeed compatible across this particular line before ordering. Although to be fair, when I called to place my order whomever the cordial women is who answers the phone for Heinie had already become aware of this fact as well.:)

blackscot
04-19-08, 09:38
WOW! This thread sure has generated some interest! Thanks for all the great replies.

Sure sounds positive overall. I too had the thumb-on-slidelock problem with a Beretta VERTEC, which I ended up selling partly for that reason. Need to go back for a revisit with the P30 to evaluate further on that.

I also need to take a closer look at the trigger. I know the DA/SA transition will be a challenge to adapt to. I haven't yet examined the SA reset though.

Glad to hear a good sights switch-out is available.

Can anyone explain -- what is the primary difference with the LEM version? And when is it likely to be available?

Wife is agreeable on the purchase (well, relatively.....:rolleyes: ) as being to me for our anniversary next month. It's either that or some kind of AK, currently a major omission from my collection, so we'll see.

I'll reply back here if any developments. Thanks again guys. ;)

John123
04-19-08, 09:56
I really like my P30. It shoots like a dream. The interchangeable grip is what sold me. I dont have big hands and sometimes those big handled pistols are a pain. It fits like a glove.

I havent had any failures yet. I have run multiple Winchester Ranger 9mm loads, regular winchester value packs, Multiple Federal Premium LE loads. It eats ammo like Bavarians eat schnitzel.

It also has ambidexterous silde and mag release. So far I have been impressed and when Im looking for another 9mm its definately going to be a second P30.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC00960.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC00962.jpg

John

blackwind
04-19-08, 11:42
Hands down an awesome 9mm. I bought one last November-ish when they were first released and also have a HK45. I have not owned a 9mm in years and was very impressed with the ergonomics of the weapon when I first had the chance to "feel her up." Shooting impressions, even more praise added. I honestly can't agree with discourageing comments on the trigger. This isn't a STI, Nighthawk Custom or other. The HK45 trigger is better for a variety of reasons and its my understanding they used the so called Match trigger on the HK45 and not on the P30. Personally they both function well and I have no issue with either trigger pull. These are technically the only production guns I own and are also the first HK handguns I've ever owned. I have fired USP's any number of times over the years but was never impressed enough to buy one. The P30 and HK45 made enough of an impression after getting a chance to see them first hand...I bought them.

Not to derail the thread with sights....but worth sharing.

Both are sporting Heinie sights as of this week. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the sights on the P30 just the HK45. As soon as my sister returns my SLR...I'll post a few. The sights were the only part lacking IMO and I hands down love Heinie Straight 8's.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_0419.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_0420.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_0421.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_0422.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_0423.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_0424.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/johndal21/Weapons/100_0425.jpg

sigmundsauer
04-19-08, 20:07
I had a bobble with my P30 today in an IDPA match. My thumb managed to actuate the slide stop from the underside on my first round fired. The first this has happened to me. I believe it to be a result of having taken a slightly too aggressive grip. The stage started at the low ready instead of holstered, and I deliberately tried to obtain an optimal, high-ride grip that was not typical of what I acquire coming out of the kydex. Evidently the recipe wasn't right and my thumb was applying upward pressure on the slide release, first bang! and I had to clear a slide pinned open. My response was adequate but not what I should have done as I went straight into a full mag reload and recharge to address any posssibility of an undiagnosed malfunction, which worked but took more time than necessary. Should've just tapped-racked and continued.

I don't blame the P30 directly, but one's techniques must be compatible with their equipment. It's a system.

Tim

DanL
04-21-08, 19:02
I have one I can bring to BC3G this weekend if you want and let you try it.

blackscot
04-22-08, 12:42
I have one I can bring to BC3G this weekend if you want and let you try it.

Reeeely ???? That would be of utmost kindness sir. A definite "YES!"

Do you have a holster for it I could borrow as well (some people want everything....). The slide is probably too wide to fit any of my G19 holsters.

Thanks Dan. :D

Randy

DanL
04-22-08, 16:54
Reeelllyyy! :)

Yes, I have a holster but it is an outside the waistband type. I know that you usually wear an IWB. But it's no problem to bring it along. I'll also bring a mag pouch and 2 extra mags for 3 total.

Not a problem dude! :cool:

See ya then!

Dan

blackscot
04-23-08, 07:16
.....I have a holster but it is an outside the waistband type. I know that you usually wear an IWB. But it's no problem to bring it along. I'll also bring a mag pouch and 2 extra mags for 3 total.....

Just anything to get it on the belt will be fine. I'll have my adjustable mag pouch too, which should work with any double-stacks.

Do you also have the different grip inserts?

Really appreciate it -- this is gonna be great! :D

blackscot
04-28-08, 07:06
Welp -- Mister Dan's P30 got me through Saturday's match with flying colors! (Dan smoked the match BTW, to come in first-place. :cool: ) Pistol handled great -- definitely confirmed store impressions of better fit than my current Glock 19 and earlier-owned M&P9. Also no apparent issue with my thumb riding the slidelock, and the SA reset likewise was un-noticable to me. I'm getting one at my first chance. Shall post a separate thread once received and tested.

Dan provided one of the very well made CompTac holsters, which performed admirably in the match, but would probably be too bulky for me for everyday carry. The FIST web site -- which I currently carry the G19 in one of their ultra-thin kydex IWB's -- indicates the same holster available for the P30. Shall almost certainly go with that.

Also glad to see the discussion and pics above on aftermarket sights. I've always had trouble with 3-dot set ups, preferring almost anything else (can't tell in a panic which dot is supposed to be in the middle). Something there will likely be in the works as well.

Thanks again for all the great replies. Hopefully I'll have a thread on my new blaster in a few days time. :)

Larry Vickers
04-28-08, 07:37
I have yet to meet anyone that owns a P30 that is not pleased with it - granted it is not widespread yet but it is overall a very good pistol - I like the P2000 but I think the P30 is even better

with practice the trigger in both DA and SA is very usable and the gun has alot of pros and very few cons (like any other handgun - as we know no weapon is perfect)

As far as DA/SA pistols are concerned the P30 and HK45 are state of the art - as good as it gets right now in that type of handgun - the only decision is if it is right for you individually

Cheers

LAV

blackscot
04-28-08, 10:48
I have yet to meet anyone that owns a P30 that is not pleased with it.........the only decision is if it is right for you individually

Cheers

LAV

Thanks for the endorsement. Had I any remaining doubt, I don't now.

I must get to one of your courses someday. From Richmond, I'm close to your South Hill venue. Have heard great things.

sigmundsauer
04-28-08, 12:06
Comp-Tac's CTAC IWB is my absolute favorite IWB. It is the most concealable IWB I have ever used and is lightning fast. Use it for everything I carry and for IDPA. Highly recommended. Mine crafted for the P2000 works acceptably well with my P30, too.

Can't wait to get an LEM mounted in my P30, but the DA trigger has smoothed up immensely since I first bought it.

One thing to watch closely on the P30's, several that I've examined, including mine, were equipped straight from the factory with the heavier firing pin block springs, intended for the LEM. This causes the trigger to stack a lot before sear release. Easy to substitute it out with a lighter FPB compression spring (part 209296). HK has them in stock currently. $4 each IIRC. A must-do mod if yours happens to be equipped with the heavier spring. [probably a product of the pistols being assembled in Germany by an assembler on auto pilot using the same slide for the LEM models).

Tim

VA_Dinger
12-11-08, 00:52
Has there been any news on the P30 LEM?

variablebinary
12-11-08, 07:01

I'd like to know as well. The P30 shoots nice, but the trigger is nasty. The DA is long and ultra heavy feeling, and the SA reset is worse than Non-SRT P-Series SIG's. Not quite as bad as a P250, but it isnt a real joy either

If HK can get the LEM into the P30, it would be an all around better pistol IMHO.

HK45
12-13-08, 12:16
It really is an awful trigger on an otherwise very good pistol. I don't know what HK is thinking.

I was disappointed in the balance of the P30L. Felt front heavy.

jhs1969
12-13-08, 12:17
The P2000 has been my fav for a few years now, I thought about getting another USPc since they would share the same mags and holsters but after handling a P30 a few times it has become my new 'next' pistol. When I finally get my carbine inventory where I want it the P30 truly will be next. I've had my share of Glocks and now own two M&P's, a 9 and a 9c. I have shot the TDA trigger systems more using HK's and Sigs and DA revolvers that I've actually become more comfortable with it than the Glock type of trigger. It is all about training and pratice.

Handguns are so personal you really can't go wrong with either system. Just use the system of your choice until you are completely comfortable it. As for the paddle mag release of the HK's I love it. I can drop a mag without shifting my grip, I use my trigger finger and thumb at the same time.

It makes me feel even more confident in the Hk system after reading Mr.
Vickers thoughts.

sigmundsauer
12-13-08, 12:53
I'm not sure what all the criticism of the P30's DA/SA trigger is based upon. Yes, it has a longish reset, but both DA and SA are very smooth after due break in. Equally so compared to my best SIG Sauer's, which I think set the industry standard. In fact, I think my P30's DA stroke is smoother than both of my P2000s, which aren't bad. Still, LEM would be the cat's meow.

I will state, however, that my P30 and a few others were inadvertently equipped with the heavy firing pin block spring intended for the LEM pistols. This will add noticeable stacking at the very end of the trigger pull. Perhaps an instance where slides assembled for LEM use were placed on the V3 frames? Regardless, the spring is very easily substituted with the standard lighter spring, which rids the DA stroke of all stacking whatsoever.

Tim

ToddG
12-13-08, 13:07
Tim -- How does the firing pin spring affect the trigger pull on a hammer-fired gun? What mechanism has to counteract the firing pin spring during the trigger pull?

I haven't had a P30 (or any P2000-series) apart but on most hammer-fired guns there is no contact between the firing pin and the action except insofar as a firing pin block is concerned, and at least with the guns I'm familiar with (SIGs and Berettas primarily) a stronger firing pin wouldn't change the trigger pull in any way.

A heavier mainspring I'd understand, even a heavier firing pin block spring. But I didn't realize the P30's action actually had to move the firing pin prior to the hammer strike.

sigmundsauer
12-13-08, 14:20
Tim -- How does the firing pin spring affect the trigger pull on a hammer-fired gun? What mechanism has to counteract the firing pin spring during the trigger pull?

I haven't had a P30 (or any P2000-series) apart but on most hammer-fired guns there is no contact between the firing pin and the action except insofar as a firing pin block is concerned, and at least with the guns I'm familiar with (SIGs and Berettas primarily) a stronger firing pin wouldn't change the trigger pull in any way.

A heavier mainspring I'd understand, even a heavier firing pin block spring. But I didn't realize the P30's action actually had to move the firing pin prior to the hammer strike.

Todd, it does not, you are correct. However, as I intended to state, the firing pin block spring does as it is compressed during the final stage of trigger stroke. I will edit my post.

Tim

ToddG
12-13-08, 15:28
Tim -- No problem. Knowing H&K I figured they'd just come up with a different way to skin the cat. I've certainly made my share of typos before!

AwaySooner
12-13-08, 16:05
Bowie did a trigger job on my P30, travel stop and a bit lighter pull makes the gun awesome to shoot. I do have 1 big problem, my forward thumb is pressing against the very long slide release during recoil prevents a lock-back on last round. I don't want to alter my grip, so I send the slide release lever to Bowie Tactical again to shorten it. I'll post photos when I get it back. My CC being charged, meaning he's working/done with it. :D David is great like that.

IrishDevil
12-13-08, 22:14
I took the levers on my P30 and P30L and trimmed them way back. They no longer interfere with my thumbs forward grip. I'm a huge P30 fan, my triggers have settled in nicely after 2K rds each. I really can't tell any difference between the 30 and 30L, they weigh practically the same. I'm interested in giving a LEM conversion a try, not sure I would get my current DA/SA triggers tuned.

IrishDevil
12-14-08, 20:37
Got a request for some pics, beware my camera skills.

IrishDevil
12-14-08, 22:02
I cut the pads in half, they are the same length as on the HK45. I haven't refinished them yet, I may cut them shorter.

Mark71
12-15-08, 13:25

I called HK this morning to ask about the availability of the P30 with factory LEM trigger and was told that they just received a large number of the guns in from Germany. No word on price but they should be shipping out to dealers soon.

ccmdfd
12-15-08, 14:34
I called HK this morning to ask about the availability of the P30 with factory LEM trigger and was told that they just received a large number of the guns in from Germany. No word on price but they should be shipping out to dealers soon.

Now that's a gun I'd like to see.

Thanks for the info.

VA_Dinger
12-15-08, 19:11

Simply outstanding news.

I am patiently waiting for them to become available. :D

sigmundsauer
12-15-08, 20:25
Add a decent set of bona fide night sights and I believe we'll have a winner! ...at least for my tastes.

Tim

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-15-08, 20:52
Dammit, I might be up for a P30 LEM

Mark71
12-15-08, 21:55
Dammit, I might be up for a P30 LEM

Its a good replacement for your P2000 ;).

HK45
12-15-08, 22:37
I would buy a P30 LEM in a heartbeat! First news I have heard of one.

M4arc
12-16-08, 19:21
You guys are killing me with this thread...now I can't stop thinking that I want a P30 too!

bbqbologna
12-21-08, 09:44
I'm fairly new to shooting (i.e. owning a gun and shooting it regularly). After extensive research and some needs assessment, I purchased a P30 about 10 months ago. It is my first gun. I am very happy with my decision. It feels great in the hands and operates like a champ.

I've put at least 5000 rounds through it since I bought it. It has operated very reliably. I had a couple of stovepipes very early on (probably due to bad form on my part). But the last 4k rounds have gone through without a hitch.

In regards to the trigger, I don't really have much experience with other pistols to make good comparisons. The double action pull is manageable and pretty smooth, although I tend to shoot a little low on that first DA shot. The SA pull feels really nice to me. Even as a novice, I can shoot pretty decent groupings at 15 and 30 feet.

M4arc
12-21-08, 10:25
Does anyone have pictures of a P30 and a G19 side by side?

kbi
12-22-08, 18:15

Not til this weekend (hopefully) .

You see what this thread did. It made me go and order a P30L for my self.

blackscot
12-23-08, 06:38

No, but I think the G17 would be a closer match. I know that it and the M&P9 are within 1% dimensionally.

M4arc
12-23-08, 06:48
No, but I think the G17 would be a closer match. I know that it and the M&P9 are within 1% dimensionally.

Thanks. I spoke to yrac on the phone yesterday and he said the same thing. That might make the P30 a little more difficult for a guy of my stature to carry so I'm going to wait until va_dinger buys one before I decide. I'll test drive his for a little while. That way if I can't carry it then I'm not out $800. ;)

blackscot
12-23-08, 10:25
Thanks. I spoke to yrac on the phone yesterday and he said the same thing. That might make the P30 a little more difficult for a guy of my stature to carry so I'm going to wait until va_dinger buys one before I decide. I'll test drive his for a little while. That way if I can't carry it then I'm not out $800. ;)

10-4, and ditto.

I'm 6 ft but only ~175 lb, so not big enough around to tote anything approaching full size (although which hasn't kept me over the years from trying many such proportioned designs......unsuccessfully :rolleyes: ).

Have by now finally resolved that the G19 is about my size limit, and hopefully laid the question to rest at last.

M4arc
12-23-08, 10:54
10-4, and ditto.

I'm 6 ft but only ~175 lb, so not big enough around to tote anything approaching full size (although which hasn't kept me over the years from trying many such proportioned designs......unsuccessfully :rolleyes: ).

Have by now finally resolved that the G19 is about my size limit, and hopefully laid the question to rest at last.

The G19 is about the limit for me as well. Lately I've been carrying my G26 and really enjoying it but can go right back to my G19 at any time.

When you're my size a 1/2 inch makes a big difference (that's what she said).

Palmguy
12-23-08, 10:54

It's already been discussed a bit but I'll throw my worthless 2 cents in as well. I find a G19 a bit easier to carry than a P30, due to both size/weight as well as the grip texture on the P30 (which is a sore point for me compared to nearly any other pistol I've ever carried). At least for me, carrying IWB in an MTAC without a shirt between the grip and my skin, the grip of the P30 was very uncomfortable. Could easily be mitigated by having an undershirt between the grip and myself but I live in Florida, so 95% of the time that's not something I want to do.

It sure does feel great in the hand though and is a nice shooter. Sounds like you've got the best deal of all as you will be able to test drive one without laying down the dough up front :cool:

M4arc
12-23-08, 11:00
It's already been discussed a bit but I'll throw my worthless 2 cents in as well. I find a G19 a bit easier to carry than a P30, due to both size/weight as well as the grip texture on the P30 (which is a sore point for me compared to nearly any other pistol I've ever carried). At least for me, carrying IWB in an MTAC without a shirt between the grip and my skin, the grip of the P30 was very uncomfortable. Could easily be mitigated by having an undershirt between the grip and myself but I live in Florida, so 95% of the time that's not something I want to do.

It sure does feel great in the hand though and is a nice shooter. Sounds like you've got the best deal of all as you will be able to test drive one without laying down the dough up front :cool:

Thanks and you're right, I don't mind if va_dinger spends $800 but I would hate to drop that kind of cash only to find out afterward that it wasn't going to work for me.

When it's his money it's not really an issue for me :D

ToddG
12-23-08, 11:02
Oddly enough, just last night I was sitting at my desk thinking, "You know what would really make Dinger a better pistol shooter? Buying another pistol." :rolleyes:

varoadking
12-24-08, 05:34

Good to know...can't be soon enough...

For those of you with a P30 - I wondered which platform you have...the 4.45" or 3.86" barrel. Personally, I am leaning towards the 3.86"...

A LEM P30 is one of 2 pieces I am patiently waiting for, with the other being a G20SF...

A LEM HK45 would expand that list to 3...

blackscot
12-24-08, 05:51
.....which platform you have...the 4.45" or 3.86" barrel. Personally, I am leaning towards the 3.86"......

UUURRGGHHH??? ! ! !

Two barrel lengths available???

Palmguy
12-24-08, 07:26
UUURRGGHHH??? ! ! !

Two barrel lengths available???

P30L: http://www.hk-usa.com/images/products/p30l/lg_p30l_1.jpg

P30: http://www.hk-usa.com/images/products/p30/P30_links.jpg

blackscot
12-24-08, 09:19
Ah sooo.....what I had then was the shorter barreled non-L version.

Was still too bulky for me to carry though, but mostly because of the grip length and slide girth.

HK45
12-24-08, 09:44
I was disappointed to find that the longer barrel P30 version felt unbalanced to me. I sold it.

I always carry full size pistols but I'm a big boy with big hands. I can't stand not getting all my fingers on a grip.

Mark71
01-30-09, 18:51
Looks like the factory P30 LEM's are finally here in the States. One just sold on Gunbroker........

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121908880

NotDylan
01-30-09, 23:59
Looks like the factory P30 LEM's are finally here in the States. One just sold on Gunbroker........

Interesting, I hope there is a conversion available. I love my P30 but hate the trigger.

Mark71
01-31-09, 01:19
Interesting, I hope there is a conversion available. I love my P30 but hate the trigger.

There are a few guys on HKPRO who have converted the V3 P30 to the LEM trigger. Of course this is not authorized by HK and most likely voided the warranty.

HK will not convert the V3 P2000 to the LEM and vise versa as the frames are supposedly slightly different. I am assuming that this would be the case with the P30 as well.

varoadking
02-01-09, 11:21

At least 3 of them have...I got the third one listed. Trying to find out which Version they are - V1, V2, V4 or V5...

ron556
02-06-09, 20:59
i have both the P30, P30L and the HK45. the ergonomics are so good, i have looked past the DA/SA system and have been dutifully training up to it. but i certainly see a P30 LEM in my future, because it's a great system. damn the HK kool-aid.

this is a great shooter and if fits my pixie-like hands better than any glock. it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it'll do the job in spades. the mag release location is one of the easiest to access and facilitates very speedy reloads; no rolling the gun in my hand to stretch for that mag release with the thumb. if you have smallish hands, the P30 system is fantastic. it is accurate, reliable and a very good weapon. anyway, my P30 has supplanted my SIG for EDC for almost a year now and even the trigger has smoothed out a bit [but man, a LEM conversion would ROCK].

the factory sights are problematic, of course. for a gun this expensive… i mean, damn. at the recommendation of LAV, i sent my P30 slide to tooltech gunsight to have them install tritium lamps on the factory sights this past summer [i am not a big fan of the straight eights, and all my other pistols use 3 dot systems]. fantastic work and in line with the prices for installing aftermarket options; turned it around in less than two weeks. highly recommended for P30 owners.

the other major downside is the lack of holster models. raven concealment will hook you up with a good P30 holster; i also use their HK45 holster for my P30L to good effect. comp-tac is also a good source, and i have one of those, too. also recommended.

and i won't even get into the mag price situation. yikes. but like all things HK… mecedes performance, mercedes pricing.

"ve ah HK ont ve hate you." but damn, that's some fine kool-aid. :-)

varoadking
02-07-09, 08:51
At least 3 of them have...I got the third one listed. Trying to find out which Version they are - V1, V2, V4 or V5...

I picked up my P30 LEM on Thursday...haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet.

It's a V2 - 8# trigger pull. The reset is a bit longer than I'd like, but I'll get used to it, and otherwise, it's a nice piece. The break is very clean without creep or stacking.

The modular backstrap and grip panels are a great touch. I would have preferred night sights to the luminescent 3 dots...but it is what it is.

sigmundsauer
02-07-09, 10:19
I'd convert my P30 to LEM in a nanosecond. I really like the LEM, and even with its longish reset I can still shoot it accurately faster than any other pistol.

Tim

Goober
02-11-09, 03:26
Have had my P30 for over a year (with about 4500 rounds down range) and I can't say enough good things about this pistol. It is by far the most accurate 9 I have ever owned and best shooting I have ever done was with my P30 (used it to beat all the instructors at our range in a fun tournament the other week :cool: ). I would recommend the Heine Straight 8s if you are gonna carry this or use it as a home defense gun (I have them on all of my carry pistols) but since that is not the case for my P30 I left it just the way it is. Only problem: I can't wait till they come out with it in a .40. ;)

-Goober

John123
02-24-09, 15:01
I just got one of my P30's back from coating.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC00773.jpg

John

Goober
02-24-09, 15:13
That is cool. I live in darkness so here is my tactical black gun... lol.

-Goober

Goober
02-24-09, 15:15
P.s. Who did the job John? I have some stuff I was thinkin of duracoating.

John123
02-24-09, 17:00
P.s. Who did the job John? I have some stuff I was thinkin of duracoating.

This is who did the coating.

Iron Ridge www.ironridgeguns.com

John

ToddG
02-27-09, 21:01
Had to get both

Dude, you're killing me ...

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-27-09, 22:08
I saw a P30 at the shop today. If I needed another hi-cap blaster it would be high on my list.

sigmundsauer
02-28-09, 11:57
Although I think that the P30 is a phenomenal pistol, if you are highly acclimated to short reset triggers, my advice is to steer clear or you might experience great consternation. It is longish, to be kind. I've had no problems with it personally, but some of my friends who shoot shorter reset guns have given up on the P30 because it is just too difficult to adapt to.

Tim

varoadking
03-01-09, 07:45
Although I think that the P30 is a phenomenal pistol, if you are highly acclimated to short reset triggers, my advice is to steer clear or you might experience great consternation. It is longish, to be kind. I've had no problems with it personally, but some of my friends who shoot shorter reset guns have given up on the P30 because it is just too difficult to adapt to.

Tim

Yes indeed...I was able to grow a beard between shots... :D

S&W spoiled me in this regard...

AwaySooner
03-01-09, 14:39
On the other hand, if you can shoot fast with the P30 DA/SA with good trigger control, it'll be a breeze to shoot a Glock.

Here's my customized P30. Spent a fortune on it, all the works are done by Bowie Tactical. Vicker mod, stipple, Heinie sight, shorten slide release lever, trigger work.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vax5cq_fAQM/SarwHG6SOkI/AAAAAAAABX8/yndSrl6M5q0/s800/P1000790.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vax5cq_fAQM/SarwJM6ysLI/AAAAAAAABYE/03EftqkD9Ps/s800/P1000791.JPG

sigmundsauer
03-01-09, 20:51
I like those Heine sights. Have a set on my 1911. They're great. Still debating on mounting the Heine's or just sending the slide off to Tooltech for ampule insertion.

Tim

VA_Dinger
03-05-09, 06:12
On the other hand, if you can shoot fast with the P30 DA/SA with good trigger control, it'll be a breeze to shoot a Glock.

Here's my customized P30. Spent a fortune on it, all the works are done by Bowie Tactical. Vicker mod, stipple, Heinie sight, shorten slide release lever, trigger work.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vax5cq_fAQM/SarwHG6SOkI/AAAAAAAABX8/yndSrl6M5q0/s800/P1000790.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vax5cq_fAQM/SarwJM6ysLI/AAAAAAAABYE/03EftqkD9Ps/s800/P1000791.JPG

Wow your P30 looks great. Bowie certainly does great work. I will most likely be sending a P30 off to him as soon as I find a factory LEM version available.