PDA

View Full Version : NEW TROY DMR SCOPE Anyone try one yet?

exd3686
04-17-08, 12:17
Anyone handle or try the new Troy DMR 1-4X22 Illuminated scope? Looks promising. Interested if it is a true 1X, rugged, illumination visible in bright light, holds zero, etc...
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/exd3686/Troy1-4x22optic.jpg

Pat.c
04-17-08, 15:31
Hmm does it include the LT mount?

Shihan
04-17-08, 15:54
Yes it comes with the mount.

DrMark
04-17-08, 18:52
American made, LaRue mount, MSRP $599?

Wow...

fabulous45s
04-17-08, 20:05
*Drool* Looks like a good excuse to build up a DMR!

macman37
04-17-08, 20:08
@#$% where was that scope when I was building an upper! ;)

edit: On further (20 seconds) introspection this could come in handy for my M1a Scout... HMMMMM

Impact
04-18-08, 00:40
599 ? made in usa ?

Parabellum9x19mm
04-18-08, 04:16
this looks suspiciously like the "Counter Sniper" Crusader. i think Troy was selling these a while ago, but not with a LT mount.

http://www.countersniperoptics.com/big/t18.jpg

the company is American, but its hard to get a straight story on where they are made. i highly doubt they are produced in the states, but that is conjecture. i don't know for sure.

what i do know for sure is the Counter Sniper Crusader is marked "Property of the United States of America" and the sales pitch states the optics were heavily discounted because of a so-called "over-run" on a government contract :rolleyes: never mind that nobody here has ever heard of any government agency using them and that they don't even have a CAGE code. oh wait. there was no CAGE code because the optics were intended for a clandestine black project. regardless, i don't think anyone here has seen rifle scopes that were owned by the US Government that were marked "Property of the US Government", so i find their marketing gimmick to be hilarious

Limited number of US Gov. Marked Contract overruns available! May show minor marks of mounting but fully warranted and available for a limited time at 65% off. First come first served, dealers margins protected! Call today!

look at the difference between the price at midway on the "government over-runs" and then look at the "retail price" on the company's website

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=214855&t=11082005
http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=59&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=9868164.6884

the thing is, i've heard they are not bad optics, but the way they've been marketed has been very shady. nobody can get a straight answer on this scope. i've read some of the emails the company has written back in response to such inquiries....largely consisting of meaningless techno-babble and dancing around the questions.

apparently with these new optics they've taken off the fake airsoft "US Government" markings and Troy has bundled it with an LT mount. those are all welcome improvements :)

but improved or not, i'd much rather have a Trijicon Accupoint TR21 in a LT SPR-E for only about $100 more. at least with the Accupoint you know what you're getting and Trijicon doesn't hide the fact that the Accupoint is manufactured in Japan or make up a fake story about it. its just a good optic at a good price, it sells itself.

C4IGrant
04-18-08, 07:49
Parabellum9x19mm, I believe you are correct. I have looked at this optic. It is most likely ok for range/plinking.

C4

Paulinski
04-18-08, 09:55
I think this phrase has a real application to optics.

"You get what you pay for"

Stephen_H
04-18-08, 10:15
I think that external windage/elevation adjustment turrets on a 1-4X optic are excessive. Maybe if they were very low profile ala Nightforce or Leupold, but I'd much rather just have a BDC built into the reticle.

Slight hijack, but if Trijicon would build their TR21 Accupoint with the 31F reticle it would be a fantastic mid-range, multi-use optic.

Stephen

C4IGrant
04-18-08, 10:31
I think that external windage/elevation adjustment turrets on a 1-4X optic are excessive. Maybe if they were very low profile ala Nightforce or Leupold, but I'd much rather just have a BDC built into the reticle.

Slight hijack, but if Trijicon would build their TR21 Accupoint with the 31F reticle it would be a fantastic mid-range, multi-use optic.

Stephen

Agree on the TR21. They could do a lot with this optic.

C4

boltcatch
04-20-08, 20:53
But does Trijicon think it makes economic sense for them to do so?

C4IGrant
04-21-08, 08:31
But does Trijicon think it makes economic sense for them to do so?

Don't know. I do know that they are thinking about it to a certain degree.

C4

Steve
04-21-08, 08:38
They think about a lot of things and i have had some neat skunk works in my hands from them that never came to light ......YET

Parabellum9x19mm
04-21-08, 08:38
I look forward to picking up a TR20-2 with the mil-dot reticle.

a TA31 type reticle on the TR21 would be amazing!!!! I don't much care for the reticles on the TR21-1 or TR21-3. I don't really see any advantage over the original TR21.

Stephen_H
04-21-08, 09:31
My crystal ball says Trijicon will never do it. It would cut directly into their more sizeable ACOG profit margins.

I hope I'm wrong.

Stephen

boltcatch
04-23-08, 22:47
I hope so too, because if they did the next time I needed a 4xish magnified optic I'd certainly go for that. However, it would be instead of an ACOG - like the one I picked up a couple weeks ago because after a lot of thought, none of the TR-21 reticles really do it for me.

olds442tyguy
04-29-08, 18:20
So it's a rebranded Counter Sniper, which contrary to Counter Sniper's claims, is a rebranded Vector Optics, which is a Chinese company.

Troy should sever all ties with Counter Sniper Optics as soon as possible. Here's what Counter Sniper Optics tried telling a member on TOS.

Hi Rob, If you got it from Midway you have the real thing. You also got a deal. If it is unmarked it is designated Military-Sterile per MIL STD 130. It was originally allocated for a black project and would have been sold at civilian retail of $1099.00. Midway was given those at the overun price, and passed the savings on to you. If it has locking turrets, its one of ours, to date no one has knocked that off yet, the fakes have cheesy short turrets. The unit that you have has a double power reostat, ideal for daylight use. FYI, that power level will dazzle at night so make sure to use the level one illumination power setting if you use it in darkness. If the unit performs like it has in some theaters of war for the past few years, I think you will do well. The cross hair that you have makes the 100 yard section a snap. Keep an extra battery on hand in case the light gets left on for a few days. If the unit did for any reason go tits up, we will fix it or give you a new one.

Counter Sniper Optics is owned by Dark Ops Holding. Dark Ops got their start importing Chinese made Extrema Ratio knock offs, and to this day still do.

Their newest company is Hellfighter lights, which consists of Chinese Surefire knocks offs, and they're even knocking off FN's new light now as well.

They're also the makers of Extreme Shock Ammo, which you may or may not be familiar with.

There are many documented cases of them being sued for patent and copyright violations as well. How they haven't been sued for false advertising and their "Made in the USA" claims yet is amazing.

If I were Troy, I would turn and run before it's too late. If I considered myself friendly with Troy Industries, I'd warn them.

Abraxas
04-29-08, 19:09
So it's a rebranded Counter Sniper, which contrary to Counter Sniper's claims, is a rebranded Vector Optics, which is a Chinese company.

Troy should sever all ties with Counter Sniper Optics as soon as possible. Here's what Counter Sniper Optics tried telling a member on TOS.

Counter Sniper Optics is owned by Dark Ops Holding. Dark Ops got their start importing Chinese made Extrema Ratio knock offs, and to this day still do.

Their newest company is Hellfighter lights, which consists of Chinese Surefire knocks offs, and they're even knocking off FN's new light now as well.

They're also the makers of Extreme Shock Ammo, which you may or may not be familiar with.

There are many documented cases of them being sued for patent and copyright violations as well. How they haven't been sued for false advertising and their "Made in the USA" claims yet is amazing.

If I were Troy, I would turn and run before it's too late. If I considered myself friendly with Troy Industries, I'd warn them.
Wow, did not know all of that. Thanks for the info. I did always think that they were somehow related since all of the advertizing looked alike, though I always had the suspicion that Blackhawk owned them. My apologies to Blackhawk